Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrain texture problem - "blocky" bleed through?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain texture problem - "blocky" bleed through?

Anyone know this can be corrected?
    I have spent hours trying everything I have read, looked up here in the forums, etc. So far, everytime it looks like I get close, it gets wacked out again.

It looks like a bleed through from a lower terrain layer (I have a total of 8 layers).

Any help is appreciated.

PS - Recreating ONS-Primeval

Bump
    The lighting should never have this blocky effect. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Nope, wouldn't have an idea, just keep going with the mapping, and maybe, just maybe it'll fix itself.

Comment

I took that approach but at one point everything went psychadelic as if a normal map replaced all the terrain textures. Weird!
        I disconnected the normals to my customer textures I created and that fix it for a time. I pushed on and it came back again.
        The screenshot is just before that happens.

Comment

You are creating a terrain material system that has too many textures or too many instructions.
          There are a number of ways to increase the capabilities but they require complex material designs.
          Easiest is to cut back your number of layer textures to four or five and remove all but one normalmap texture.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Turns out it was a noob mistake in 2 parts.
            Part 1 - A friend of mine never edited a map before did the initial terrain and texturing work.
            Part 2 - I assumed (you know what assume means!?!) he did it correctly.
            Bottom line I deleted all terrain textures and the terrain itself and re-imported everything from scratch. The only thing I left intact were the nodes, static meshes, player starts, etc.

It is now 100% solid. I can only think that he made a mistake (who knows what?) and I didn't realize it until much later.

Comment

Eventually had to delete two terrain textures. Total of 6 layers now and all the materials are very simple; nothing complex at all.

Also, had to increase MaxTesselation of the terrain from 4 to 8.
              Can it go to a yet higher value?

Comment

The valid values for the tessellation levels are 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16.

Comment

What is your terrain NumPatchesX,Y and DrawScale/DrawScale3D.X/Y values?
                  Rarely should you have to go beyond a MaxTesselation of 1,2 or 4. Higher values also dramatically decrease distant terrain detailing.

Comment

Being a recreation of ONS-Primeval, the map is fairly small.

Terrain NumPatches X,Y: 256,256
                    DrawScale: 1.000
                    DrawScale3D.X,Y,Z: 124.779999, 134.239990, 56.760010

If DrawScale3D looks weird, that is what it took to shrink the imported heightmap *and* give the map the same "feel" as the original ONS-Primeval.

My frame rate (on a relatively weak machine) is actually very good now.

Edit: Before I re-imported the heightmap, the UED3 terrain was 4x larger then it is now.

Comment

Working...
                    X