Layering textures in the Terrain Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layering textures in the Terrain Editor

For some reason I cant paint terrain like I could in UT2k4. I did a bunch of stuff with a single terrain layer setup and several materials but If I make more and attach materials to them I cant paint terrain. Any ideas what is going on?

Here is my current terrain layer setup...

Note how I only have one terrain layer setup for this entire thing. I want to have a second terrain layer setup to paint some dirt roads but for some reason after I create a new terrain layer setup and bind a dirt road material to it I cant get the dirt road to show for terrain painting. First off the dirt terrain layer setup (TLS) should be underneath the "Main Layer" TLS right? Then I select the paint tool, and start with some combination of ctrl+left click to remove or add layer to an area.

Maybe this will help?

http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3terrain.htm

...worked for me

Làámßø

Comment

Thanks for pointing me that way, Ill have to look into it later today.

Comment

Hand-painted layers should be in their own individual TerrainLayerSetup.
        If you see the "P" on a TLS, that means that it is Procedural and is meant to use the Height/Slope settings to do the texture layering for you. These do not properly "paint".
        You can create and add additional TLS's, starting with a base Procedural one using the built in Height/Slope, then add individual ones below that for hand-painting on.

Comment

Thats effectively what I'm aiming at here. I have the base procedural layer in place which covers the map very well, but I want to paint some dirt paths in, which would be ideal with this style of setup I think.

Comment

In that case, you would simply create another TLS just for the path layer, assign the desired TerrainMaterial to that, put it into the proper order in the Terrain layer list (they are painted overlayed in a specific order), then paint your path.
            Be aware that sometimes making changes to the terrain layering setup may require a save, exit and restart of the editor.
            And use the Recache Shaders button often in the Terrain Edit dialog if the layers are not immediately updating.

Comment

So I started working again and got the rainbow texture crazyness going on. I know it has something to do with too many texture/materials on a terrain, but how do I get around this?

Comment

This occurs when you have too many individual textures or too complex of a terrain material setup.
                There are a few tricks to increase the capabilities of the terrain layering but that depends on what you are doing and is too long of a subject for here.
                Basically you will probably have to simplify your terrain layer system by removing a layer.

Comment

Working...
                X