How to make turrets move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make turrets move?

Please, how can I make a turret follow the turret nodes I place nearby in my Warfare map? Is there a tutorial for this or can somebody tell me how to do this? Maybe it needs kismet??? I would really appreciate if somebody helped me.

I'm 90% sure it needs Kismet. I dunno how to do it either. :shrug:

Comment

not entirely sure yet, but I will be looking into it, since my next map needs turrets that move...

Comment

Ok good. Tell me if you find out how to do it or if you see a new tutorial about this etc.

Comment

Hi, I had this problem last week and it took a some peeking at the UT3 maps. but I figured it out. Here is a little HOW-TO for anyone interested.

1. Create a basic WAR test level (I have one that just has two power cores in it)

2. In the object browser load in the turret package. <UT3 DIR>\UTGame\CookedPC\Vehicles\VH_Turret.upk
          Note: There is another turrent package in the weapons folder but that's not the one you want.

3. Select the static mesh for S_TurretTrack_Straight_2

4. Lay down several of these tracks in a row.

5. Now at one end of the track add a Turret Factory. This is in the actor class, NavigationPoint,
          UTVehicleFactory, UTVehicleFactory_TrackTurretBase, UTVehicleFactory_Turret. (Say that 10 times fast).

6. Align the Turret so that it is pointed in the right direction and fits in the track. This is more
          for looks that anything to do with moving the turret.

7. Select the Turret and Open Kismit (The K button on the toolbar).

8. Select (or create a new one) proper sequence.

9. Now RMouse, and select the menu New Event Using <turret name>, Turret Spawned. This will put an
          event handler in for the turrent and add a turret track matinee in your script.

10. Open (double click) the turret track matinee.

11. Select the movement line and add a key at the start of the clip.

12. Now depending on how fast you want your turret to move from one end of your track to the other
          set the amount of time (end clip) to 2 or 3 seconds. The smaller the amount of time the faster
          the turret will move.

13. Add a key at the end of the clip.

14. Making sure that the key you just created is selected, move the turret to the ending spot in your map.

15. You can now check out the movement using the play button (or drag the timeline).

16. Close the matinee viewer.

17. Rebuild your level.

18. Now play.

Note: You can add curves buy adding aditional key frames to your movement clip and animating the movement of the turrent over the tracks.

Comment

lexnn, ty

thats some priceless info there

Comment

Now if only someone could supply instructions for these instructions, they might be helpful.
              It won't let me add keyframes because it says I have to select a track from the left but there are no tracks on the left.
              I really miss making movers the easy way. Kismet is way to complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
                Now if only someone could supply instructions for these instructions, they might be helpful.
                It won't let me add keyframes because it says I have to select a track from the left but there are no tracks on the left.
                I really miss making movers the easy way. Kismet is way to complicated.
                I have no problems when following the instructions. When you select the Turret Spawned event, it should create a Turret Track matinee sequence with a group named TurretGroup and a Movement track contained within it automatically. Are you not seeing this behavior?

Comment

Something I have found is you set your key frames up with the turret nice and tight in the track but when you build your map the turret jumps up out of the track to a new position.

One type of turret does it more than the others.

Any one else found this or a solution to it?

Comment

Yeah, why does it do that?

Comment

I have a solid basic understanding of Unreal 3. The issue I am having with the turrets when following the steps above is they do not appear when I play in game.

The bHidden is not checked.

I set up the kimset correctly (I think) and the game is saved as war-.

I tried a DM- and followed the steps above and it made a turret and it appeared but when I climbed in it did not move. I then resaved in -war rebuilt and poof that disappeared as well.

Both turrets are still visible in the editor.

Thoughts? Feelings?

(Hopes and Dreams optional)

Comment

Working...
                      X