my first map...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first map...

Hey guys, heres some images of my first ever map, opinions would be great!

How do I get the map actualy in-game?
    and How do I add bots?
    and How do I add health packs etc?

thanks!

lookibg good for your first ever go andI would like to say well done now there are a few that you will need to do in order for the game to play well first and for most...

Health: go to actors in the general browser and come down to navigation point then UTpickups (i think something along them lines) then go to UThealthpickups and the 3 should be in there Mini health (viles) Medium heath (the little ball like ones) and big health (super health)

Pathnodes: these are quite important because this tell your bots were to move otherwise they will just stand still and shoot at you these can be found under the right click menu...
    hope this helpa you a bit if you need anymore help dont be affraid to ask

Comment

Wow.. thats a helluva lot nicer than my first map was for UT2004.

*laughing* I can remember what a horrible little box ridden mess that was..

*Fond memory* Heh, I had a pool where you could swim down and get every single weapon in the game including the instagib shockcore if you knew which wall to swim through. */fond memory*

My advice: *Comes from the Duke 3D Level Design Handbook.*: Do architecture first, then do weapon placement. After that play with bots (or monsters), and run around the level and see where you find yourself needing health and at what locations they are. After that go in and place your health packs.

Comment

lol, that made me laugh baran, thanks for the advice?
        should I spend all my time working on this one map till perfection?
        or move on to bigger and better things?

I see other maps on these forums, theyre so good they make me weep.

Comment

I worked on my first map for Ut2004 for .. I think four months because I had to learn the engine from scratch, and look up tutorials online and everything. I even had custom wall textures.

You'll always remember your first map, so make it the best you can.. and if it's good enough, release it to the public..

Release it to friends first though so they can tear you to shreds about how much it sucks first, because it's easier to take from friends than say, PlanetUnreal's hyper-critical review staff that will take your map, throw it in a blender, **** on it, and put it on puree, and hand it back to you. *

*Note: This is coming from the guy who did the exact opposite. Sent it to the review crew first, instead of friends first.

Comment

that makes sense, thanks everyone. my last mapping was with HAMMER (very very little) but I prefer UT far better.
            I clicked on path node, an apple appears? loll, no idea what im doing with bots.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddybrek View Post
              that makes sense, thanks everyone. my last mapping was with HAMMER (very very little) but I prefer UT far better.
              I clicked on path node, an apple appears? loll, no idea what im doing with bots.

Apple? .. In Ut2004 it was a peach of somesort.

Anyway, what that "apple" / "peach" is, is a node that says to the bot "GO HERE.. any way necessary."

Don't slaughter your maps full of them, just put them at important points in your map, ie: Lifts, (and above where the lift exits), teleporters, etc. The fruits will automatically connect themselves in the game.. that's the way the AI is coded. It's smart that way.

It really, really helps to save your map and open up your absolute favorite map from the game and look at the way the apples/peaches/pears/plums/partridges in a pear tree are laid out so you can see the way that the professional teams designed their pathing nodes. *

*Plus it's **** cool to see what the real professional levels look like in the editor.

Comment

Thats right put a few of them around your map and then the bots will use it

Comment

now I've done some, how do I run the map in game? to see bots behave.
                  Yeah, I can get the game to run in Unreal ED with the map, but theres no bots? :S

Comment

If the UnrealEd is the same as it used to be .. just more complex.. there should be a little green controller that once you click it, it'll "play" the map, and when you exit the game it'll drop you right back into Unrealed.

Comment

right first of all I would do everything that you want to do to the map first because once you put it in the game your a bit stuck and it makes you feel bad that you have not done the map right lol but if your happy then all you do is go to docs/unreal tournament 3/utgame/unpublished ( copy your map form there then go back)/published maps

p.s i have sent you a PM

Comment

UnrealED is quite abit different to the old ones if you press 'play level' you just play with no bots you actually have to put it in to the game before the bots will com on

Comment

I've added you.

Comment

have you not acording to mine you ant lol itll show up in time lol

Comment

when trying to publish, I get this...

Comment

Working...
                              X