X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by dulmoments View Post
    r1esG0,

The key to modeling for mods or games in general is to keep the polygon count as low as possible. This gives you the option to be able to run it on as many machines as you can and have a wider audience to share your mod or game with. This is why optimization is so important really.

So when they say that the poly count for Unreal is 10,000 poly's that is what is suggested as your highest count. But the model could actually be 100,000 or a 1,000,000 polys if you bake the normal maps in. What you can really do is build a 10,000 poly model as your low poly, but then build a 1,000,000 poly model and bake that onto your 10,000 poly model in your 3d application of choice. This way when you import it into the engine UnReal reads it as a 10,000 poly model.

I don't know what kind of experience you have with modeling for games or if this even helps. There are all sorts of tricks to choose from also within the engine.

i am not talking about the traditional trick of making a 1 million polys, then do the 10.000 polys version, then apply the surface displacement map to make the 10.000 look as the 1 million polys,

i am saying that there are games with 39.000 polys in realtime.

Well, i know you have to take in mind mod distribution in order the mod to be played on as many pcs as possible, but also, the world of custom content, can make us to raise the difference, because we, amateurs creators, dont have to deal with a distributor taht forces us to get some amount of sales with the game we are making, so this leaves us some amount of freedom to explore things ussually game makers can not afford.

I will investigate the true limits of the engine. Lets see what i do with this.
    Maybe a mod that can only have 2 characters ingame, but at least, lets try it to see what happens!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    r1esG0,

The key to modeling for mods or games in general is to keep the polygon count as low as possible. This gives you the option to be able to run it on as many machines as you can and have a wider audience to share your mod or game with. This is why optimization is so important really.

So when they say that the poly count for Unreal is 10,000 poly's that is what is suggested as your highest count. But the model could actually be 100,000 or a 1,000,000 polys if you bake the normal maps in. What you can really do is build a 10,000 poly model as your low poly, but then build a 1,000,000 poly model and bake that onto your 10,000 poly model in your 3d application of choice. This way when you import it into the engine UnReal reads it as a 10,000 poly model.

I don't know what kind of experience you have with modeling for games or if this even helps. There are all sorts of tricks to choose from also within the engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am building a community mod for a game called X3. It's a space exploration game. Somewhat of a FPS since you are in direct control of the ship you are flying. This engine supports shader 3.0.

I'm not sure how you would like to compare this, but please let me know if it is helpful.

Most of the fighters are about 10k-20k polys. Capital ships are usually around 50k. Stations around 100-150k. Many try to keep capital ships around the 50k-100k mark. One day I became adventurous and decided to import a 500k model.

The model only had 1 texture applied to it, but it took less than half a second to load. I actually had several in the sector (I guess you could call it a map) running with almost no loss in performance. But, several things to point out:

1) There was no battle at the moment. No light effects, explosions, etc.
    2) It only had ONE texture applied to it.

Being that I am not in the industry, what is my unprofessional opinion? Textures and the constant light calculations caused by the spec and bump maps is what causes most of the performance loss.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic max numbers of polys for a character

max numbers of polys for a character

This is a little technical question,

According to official udn docs, the limits on poligons for character for unreal engine 3.0 are more or less, 15.000. (well 15.000 were used for main characters of gow, about 10.000 for unreal tournament 3 characters)

As a character desingner on self training, i wonder if those limits can be put away, for example, for making a mod for unreal tournament.

The question is:, what are the maximum high poligons that can be put inside a character on a high end machine?

For doing some kind of reference comparison, I have seen this mod:

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/;69829

that makes the character alyx for hl2 game, uses 39.000 polys in realtime. (defaults in hl2 were 7.500, the increase is impressive)

(close look)
    http://halflife2.filefront.com/scree.../File/69829/11

The mod advices it is bad optimized, and only will run in very high end machines, but i wonder if those kind of maximizations can be made on unreal tournament 3.

If i have made a mistake for talking about other gameĀ“s engine, i apologize. Admin just delete this post then.
    My intention is just to improve my knowgement about certain technical feature of unreal engine, and i though that this forums is the best place to ask. The example on the other engine is just to illustrate my question.

-Another question, lets say i begin to import high polygonation models (40.000 polys and +) on the urneal engine, to test performance by essay and error,
    Is there any console command where i can test fps and general performance?.

Thanks in advice.
Working...
X