Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Making a simple core explosion

1. Add a CameraActor and place it in front of your core. Placement doesn't have to be exact as you can align it perfectly inside matinee.

2. Select the core you want to create the explosion for in the view port, then click the 'K' to open up kismet.

3. In kismet, right click and select "New Event using UTOnslaughtPowerCore_Content_X -> Play Core Destruction"

4. Right click and select "New Matinee". Connect the out of the "Play Core Destruction" to the "Play" connection on the Matinee.

5. Select the CameraActor in the viewport. Open Matinee.

6. At the bottom, right click, select new group-> Camera Group.

7. Select the camera icon next to the camera group so that you are seeing through the camera in the viewport. Adjust it accordingly so that you are looking directly at the core (or however you want to do it). Don't forget to deselect the camera icon when you are done adjusting!

8. Adjust the play time to 18 seconds. Expand the camera group, select the movement track, then click the add key icon on the tool bar. The add key button is the little black thing right underneath the File menu.

9. Advance the time ahead in the matinee sequence say 5 seconds, then select the camera icon on your camera group so that you are looking through it again. Adjust it so that's where it should be in 5 seconds then hit the add key button again.

10. You should now be able to hit play in the matinee and see the camera move. Close matinee for now and leave kismet open.

11. In the generic browser, open the package GP_Ons_PowerCore_Death. If this file is not in your list, you'll need to navigate to your unreal tournament folder and load it manually. Add the emitter P_Ons_PowerCore_Explosion_Main inside your core somewhere.

12. With the emitter selected, open the matinee again, right click and select New Particle Group. With the Toggle track of the particle group selected, advance the time to around 6 seconds and hit Add Key, toggle on. Advance to the end, add a key, toggle off.

Congratulations you now have a very simple core explosion. There is a ton you can do with kismet and matinee. Making the explosions look like epics is just a matter of getting creative. Looking at how they do it doesn't hurt either

I've completely glossed over the director group, but with it you can add the core explosion sound, fade in/fade out, and multiple camera controls. Also missing is the skeletal mesh animation, which I'm not very familiar with honestly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The core animation is a glorified matinee sequence. Learning how to do it means learning how to work with unreal matinee. Once you know how to work with matinee, making the core explosion isn't too difficult. Unfortunately making it actually work is a bit too involved to try and explain it all here. I highly recommend getting the unreal ed videos and studying the matinee sequence videos, then once you know matinee a bit, examine some of the existing core explosions to see how they work. It's much easier to understand once you know some of the basics of what you are looking at.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Daimon_Frey View Post
    I have done it in this way:

1. Open one of the UT3 original maps (if you like it's core camera movement )
    2. Select Core and all of its emitters and cameras
    3. Open your map and paste copied Core in it
    4. Open again the same map from which you copied Core.
    5. Go to Kismet and select all elements of copied Core's death sequence (hold CTRL + ALT and drag box, all selected items should have yellow borders and arrows)
    6. Press CTRL + C to copy your selection.
    7. Open your map, go to Kismet and paste (CTRL + V) what you have copied (if anything wont show, click somewhere in kismet working area and try pasting again)
    8. Do the same for the second core.

It worked for me on two maps. Also you can run UnrealEd two times, then you can open two maps at the same time.
    How about copying both cores,
    then re-open the map for the second time and copy kismet for both core, saves some time uh?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Daimon_Frey View Post

5. Go to Kismet and select all elements of copied Core's death sequence (hold CTRL + ALT and drag box, all selected items should have yellow borders and arrows)
    7. Open your map, go to Kismet and paste (CTRL + V) what you have copied (if anything wont show, click somewhere in kismet working area and try pasting again)

It worked for me on two maps. Also you can run UnrealEd two times, then you can open two maps at the same time.
    Ah, seen it in Kismet but could not figure out how to copy that stuff....I'll have to re-visit the old map and try that.....Thanks bro!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've tried this awhile back but with no luck.

My last attempt had crashed the editor and I've just put my WAR "Test" map on hold for now.

You would have thought that this would have been "Automatic" event when you placed the Core in the map like with 2k4.

Please EPIC...Help us out here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by IzaFly View Post
    You need to use special core emitters.

Just open up a WF map. Look at the core, and you will notice about 6 emitters and maybe 3 or 4 cameras. The emitters do the explosion and the cameras let you see it happen. Just copy and paste it into your new map.

Thing is, the cameras get a little wierd afterwards...
    Seems to work for me ( I copied from WAR-Downtown), however my level has lots of lava and after pasting the emitters into my level strange graphical artifacts appeared on the lava shader anytime it was looked upon.
    Because I made a back-up before doing this (recommended) I continued anyway and then play tested within the editor. The strange graphical artifacts continued UNTIL I fired off the Core sequence. Then everything seems to have returned to normal and the artifacts have disappeared. I wanted others to know just in case others come across graphical glitches like this while copying core sequences, it doesn't necessarily mean that their map is corrupted beyond repair. I am currently doing a full build so I can do a full test within the game itself and will post more if anything is amiss.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In the show flags sections, enable Camera Frustrums.

This will help in aligning the cameras with the core.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks freddie, will try but wondering where I can find the kismet red/blue core destruction scene?

I also just found that on torlan, there is a fourth camera that I was missing...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    u have to select & copy all emitters and cameras & the related kismet red/blue core destruction scene. one core has exactly 8 emitters & 3 cameras.

ive tried that in my own map and it worked pretty nice.

and btw. if someone has read kanthams basic warfare map tutorial:

he wrote:

Why is the PowerCore explosion not showing up when it explode?

The said particle effects are located inside the cooked maps, so there is no way that we can duplicate them into our level to get the effect they used. We can however, grab the Kismet that activates all the events once a powercore is destroyed. But that won't give us any visuals.
    thats wrong because it does work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess I'm not getting it......for example, I'm opening up WAR-Torlan and looking at the kismet events and not seeing anything like core destruction.

I'm not efficient with camera use whatsoever but from looking at the cameras on torlan and mirroring their settings into my map I'm still not getting the core explosion visual, only sound.

These are the cameras I am referring to:

The red dot on the core is where the emitters are, 2 sets of them...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    you all know how to use cameras, right?

well maybe you just have to recreate the cameras, or something like that.

then just hook the new camera sequence up to kismet, where the old cameras hooked up

hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks Fly, I now have the sound of the explosion but the cameras arent seeing it. Guess I'll have to tinker more...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by IzaFly View Post

Just open up a WF map. Look at the core, and you will notice about 6 emitters and maybe 3 or 4 cameras. The emitters do the explosion and the cameras let you see it happen. Just copy and paste it into your new map.

i rekon i could fix that...

i know how to animate cameras, etc, so maybe i could check out the Kismet and Matinee sequences to do with that.

maybe, just MAYBE, i can crack this right open.

but first i need a month or so to finish my warfare map

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X