Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would be nice if the terrain tuts actually worked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be nice if the terrain tuts actually worked...

I can do everything I need to with a terrain all the way up til I try to add material layers... absolutely NO method has worked for me, every ******* time I make a new material layer, it just looks like a grossly distorted version of the default texture... WTF?!

Sorry, but this is just driving me ****ing crazy...

I'm like 90% done with a map, the layout was solid, then I deleted a stupid brush to be replaced by terrain and I'm ****ing staring at the ****ing terrain menu for hours, saying to myself "why the **** does this NOT WORK?!?!?!?!" ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Same goes for skydomes, I can add them, can add skylights, but the **** sky never renders, where the hell did it go?

Kinda found an answer to my own dillema... for some reason, UT3E will only add a blank material, I have to manually delete that blank one, then open the generic browser, while still in terrain edit mode, and find my terrain material, THEN right-click on the newly-created blank one and click "Add Selected Material"... weird that it de-selects my already selected material to make a blank, nearly-useless material layer....

EDIT: yeah that sounded weird, I had to delete the material that was "created" under that layer and replace it with a real material... pain in the **** tbh :/

Comment

How are you creating the layer in the Terrain Editor?

Comment

Easiest method is:
        - insert the Terrain actor, set the NumPatches etc.
        - make sure that you have a terrain Texture such as grass or dirt loaded.
        - make sure there is a Material created for that Texture.
        - right-click in the Generic Browser and choose TerrainMaterial (package it in your map file in a group called Terrain).
        - set the TerrainMaterial's Material property to the grass Material.
        - right-click again and add a TerrainLayerSetup (package it in your map file in a group called Terrain).
        - add an new array entry to the TerrainLayerSetup (first item added will be [0]) and set its Material property to the TerrainMaterial.
        - select the Terrain actor, go to the Terrain.Layers property, click on the add button to add a layer, and assign the TerrainLayerSetup to the Layer.Setup property.

A few notes:
        The TerrainMaterial object also has the UV tiling properties for the texture tiling size (MappingScale).
        The TerrainLayerSetup object also supports Procedural setups where you can add multiple TerrainMaterial objects and use the Height/Slope properties to have them auto-paint areas such as steep cliffs.
        And if you ever want to change the texture assigned to a layer, just change the Material assigned to the TerrainMaterial object for a layer.

Comment

Yeah, I got it all figured out after fiddling with it some, the problem was that Unreal Ed was un-selecting the material I had originally selected, so when it made the new layer from the material, there was nothing there, so it loaded the default texture in it's place. I ended up re-building the whole terrain anyway, and it worked without a hitch that time.

My main problem now is that my sky is not rendering at all, just a black sky... My sky Light objects are fine, so you can imagine it looks really odd to have daylight being emitted from a black hole...

Comment

maybe this will help also just incase the next peep comes around asking for that same answer

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1528675zQrNcBXA

Comment

Working...
            X