Terrain Layer Panning, Rotating, Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain Layer Panning, Rotating, Scaling

Can anyone tell me how to pan, rotate, or scale a Terrain Material?
    I'll have one of them selected, hold ctrl+click and drag but nothing happens. The Terrain Editor just flickers at me. Are these buttons just not useable?

Thanks

I always just alter the values in the Terrain Material's properties. I believe the tools work, but they aren't exactly real-time interactive like you might want them to be. The terrain shader has to be recompiled before the results actually show up in the viewport and this process takes a little bit of time. This makes it hard to judge exactly what you are doing when you use these tools so I rely on setting the values manually.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
      I always just alter the values in the Terrain Material's properties.
      Pan V and U doesnt do anything that I can see. I'm looking to do Asymmetrical terrain texture scaling. The scale does V and U in sync which is bullocks.

I believe the tools work, but they aren't exactly real-time interactive like you might want them to be. The terrain shader has to be recompiled before the results actually show up in the viewport and this process takes a little bit of time.
      How long is a bit of time? Do you rebuild after you mess with them?

Comment

If you want to scale the material differently in each axis, you can do that inside of the actual material by adjusting the texture coordinates.

Comment

Hey Corey

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated.htm

Scroll to "Scaling" part. Looks like you just have to do it that way.
          Bummer

what makes this annoying is that when you change a material (like by applying the TexCoord modifier it does not seem to visually update on the terrain until you change a terrain mat's texture to something else... its a very clunky workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_Depth View Post
            what makes this annoying is that when you change a material (like by applying the TexCoord modifier it does not seem to visually update on the terrain until you change a terrain mat's texture to something else... its a very clunky workflow.
            Actually,altering the material applied to a terrain will not update until you recompile the terrain shader. There is a button in the Terrain Editor that does this. Some things cause the terrain shader to be recompiled automatically, like altering Terrain Material properties I believe, but altering a standard material will not.

Comment

*shrugs* either way. its a pain.

And it seems to be enough for me, just to switch the mat of a TerrainMat (click use current material as texture) or w/e and just select something different, and all of the terrain's terrain mats update their materials at once. Try it. All you have to do after is switch that Terrainmats tex back to what it was b4.

Comment

This works because doing that causes the terrain shader to be recompiled. Why go through all that when you can just click the button that is meant to recompile the shader in the first place?

Comment

This works because doing that causes the terrain shader to be recompiled. Why go through all that when you can just click the button that is meant to recompile the shader in the first place?
                  because up until ...eh.....a second a go, i didnt know it existed

Comment

That's a good reason! It's right there in the Terrain Editor...a little button with the letters RM on it in red text.

It may seem like a pain to have to do this when working with a single layer or very simple materials because the compiling time is pretty quick. It can take longer with more complex setups, though. So having to wait for this to occur each time you change something in a material could turn out ot be a pain itself. Having control over when the process takes place seems like the best solution to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X