UT3 Editor and CPU usage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    The [Base]Engine.ini should have the settings in it for load packages which are what packages it loads on startup. You want to make sure to leave the Editor* packages in though as those are the actor icons and other default editor textures and meshes. I haven't looked at it to see what you may be able to trim out though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any way to cut back on what the editor loads when it boots?

In fact... is there any way to have the editor automatically load the desired map?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OMG these textures are gigantic

whats epic thinking they have 2000x by 2000x textures for each character load into the editor at start no wonder it lags

Leave a comment:

• replied
    portions of the build process are single core and other portions can use 2 cores and other portion just all 4 cores. Just depends on what stage it is at.

I have 3 dual core PC's and one quadcore PC. I do all my editing on my Intel quadcore. Much better off.

UED3 idles on my quad core 60-70% on 2 out of 4 cores. Consistent with everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does the Editor take advantage of dual core processors? Will I see a difference in map building time by going from a single core at 2.75 Ghz to a dual core at ~2.6 Ghz?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    since when UE starts to use .net framework??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
    EPIC would have been better off writing everything in pure C++ than using that framework.
    We'd have twice the framerate, half the features and twice the bugs. C# was designed to fix a number of c++ shortcomings.

Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
    .NET code can and does cause high CPU usage.
    No doubt the whole framework setup can be somewhat inefficient at startup, but that does not explain the continuous CPU drain. .NET doing nothing doesn't eat your CPU. UT3Ed must be rendering stuff all the time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So there are no way that we can manually fix the .NET high-cpu usage?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One of my friends tried to get me to use .NET and C#... He gave me a calculator program that he had written. When I first saw it, I said "wow! that executable is only 10 kb in size." Then when I ran it... nothing appeared on the screen, but the hard drive light came on. Then about 5 seconds later the calculator finally appeared. That is why I have stayed with pure C++

Screw using .NET!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What's sad: My AMD Sempron 3000+ w/ 2GB Ram and a 256MB AGP Graphics card, runs and builds in UE3Ed about 4x FASTER than my AMD Athlon 64 6000+ w/4GB Ram and a 512MB PCIEx Graphics Card... just doesn't render the gridlines :/ and there's that funky scrollbar glitch...

Yeah, max CPU usage on the lower-end system is about 35-40%.. Higher End System it more lik 55-70% and I run both at the exact same settings.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by nELsOn View Post
    you know, this actually sounds quite plausible. i wrote a little program (basically a stop watch with a countdown to know when my tea is ready ) in visual basic 2005 today and i checked how much memory it uses because it took so long to start. this little and simple thing uses 13 megabytes!
    That comes from all the wonderful things that are coded as part of the .NET framework. Interpreted code should never be used for something like what EPIC is using it for. Just like the garbage collection routines of .NET cause CPU and memory spikes when they kick in. Ya know those issues everyone is having where the game comes to a crawl for no apparent reason and then goes back to normal? I'll lay bets on that being those garbage collection routines.

EPIC would have been better off writing everything in pure C++ than using that framework. I guess the $$$ signs they see with the portability to the XBOX & PS3 means that PC games will always now and forever take a backseat.

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
    High CPU usage has nothing to do with the .NET Framework, and everything with the way the program is written.
    .NET code can and does cause high CPU usage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    still have thesae issue whenever i load my map
    system specs:
    Celeron D 3,33 GHz @ 4,17 Ghz
    Conroe685PE mobo
    2 GB DDR400 Dual channel
    overclocked ATI X1950 Pro

All overclocks tested and all are stable

Realtime is already off,
    whenever i change viewport it seems like the newly selected viewport isn't hardware acceleration, it's like a slideshow for some time. te same when i select all some vertices when i want to stretch a brush

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't seem to notice an issue with the quad core except when building. Seems like the editor never uses more than 2 cores. Then it seems like it only uses the power of one core when I hit build. Looking at the CPU usage it seems like its switching the job between multiple cores but never uses more than one. It would be nice if it would use all 4 cores at once for building the map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I haven't looked at the editor source but it is possible they are freewheeling frame renders on their DirectX viewports and that is what is eating up processing power.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    High CPU usage has nothing to do with the .NET Framework, and everything with the way the program is written.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X