Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the long, drawn-out map names?!

I'll get straight to the point.

Why do people insist on making long/drawn-out map names? I don't NEED to see their initials or clan tag in the name of a map you make, I don't need useless punctuation icons in the title. I like it clean, and simple.

I can understand adding a couple extra letters to the title if its from a Map Pack, but to make a map titled "VCTF-XXX-LongRectagularBox-Redux-Version23" is just plain ridiculous!

I realize this most likely wont change the way people name their maps, but I just wanted to toss out the fact that names don't NEED to be long in order to draw attention!

Does anyone else feel this way?

/Rant

Yep. Abuse of the name field, in my opinion. And messes with any logical sorting strategy (like alphabetical).

Comment

I dont have that problem... I dont play online on my pc as it doesnt run the game and I dont publish my maps so I juse simple names... like right now its "DM-Maestr02s" LOL. The name isnt going to tell you if its a good map or not anyway.

Comment

The reason clan tags and such are added in map names isn't to attract attention but because if your playing online the map author would like players to know where the map came from so if they like it they can download it properly and/or browse the author/clans other maps. However I never add version numbers to my maps. When making maps I only have them tested by people I can trust not to distribute until I say it is finished, this way I only need the gametype prefix, clan tag and map name in title thus resulting in only 1 version of it being released (no version numbers, no alpha, beta bla bla)

Comment

They also come from other ppl taking someones map and making changes without permission in most cases.

Comment

There's also going to be a lot of custom maps, and if you pick a nice, short, generic name, chances are it'll be the same or similar to other maps.

Comment

I can see adding a short 2 to 4 character mapper or clan name so that the map is recognizable as to who created it, but I agree that some of the long "DM-Myubermap--=oOl33tOo=--Redux-b437" are silly and I personally won't even look at maps named like this.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                but I agree that some of the long "DM-Myubermap--=oOl33tOo=--Redux-b437" are silly and I personally won't even look at maps named like this.
                Not to mention that those "maps" are typically total junk anyway. Teh uber square room with horrible lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
                  Not to mention that those "maps" are typically total junk anyway. Teh uber square room with horrible lighting.
                  You forgot Redeemer and Double Damage in middle. I call them all "Redeemer Map".

And yes, one extra tag for map name is as much as I can tolerate. Well that is required sometimes if you want to do remake. For eg. "CTF-Face" this name should not be used, you need to add some tag to it, and totally different name will make your remake not known to fanboys of old Faces.

And general rule for file names: do not use Unicode characters in file (map) names (and map names). Some unicode characters deny windows access to those files, that was stupid thing M$ did, and to access one file like that you need same national character set installed as author who created file (map).

So only use ASCII in file and map names.

Comment

Working...
                  X