Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legitimate questions about Unreal only.

Holy smokes Unreal rawks my sawks best fps ever its all I play1!!!1

Does anyone know if you can paint multiple trees at once with speed tree, like lets say I wanted a forest with 3 kinds of trees, 2 bushes and a grass. Can I paint that all with 1 brush or do I have to do it multiple times.

Does the editor have any kind of voxel system for creating overhanging cliffs or caves in terrain? (In past versions to make a cave I would have to cut holes in the terrain and export a cave from max, wondering if it is the same now)

Does terrain geometry automatically res down as you move farther away from it?

Do terrain and static meshes auto-occlude objects based on physics volumes or anything?

I'm not necessarily looking for how-to's at this point, although if you know it would be awesome, just wondering if these things are supported.

1. not sure
    2. no...terrain works similar to ut2k4 where you have to use the visibility tool to open holes in the terrain and such
    3. yes but it can be specified how aggressive you want to set it
    4. I don't follow?

Comment

I think in #4 he was wondering if the terrain or static meshs' block the line of sight and keep the engine from rendering things that arent directly visible. I think in previous engine builds you had to use a blocking volume inside of mesh's to keep the engine from rendering everything on the other side of it (that you couldnt see). It helps with performance.

Comment

It was called an anti-portal actually. But yes, that was the case.

Comment

- DecoLayers are designed to paint one style of mesh at a time.
          SpeedTree has both the deco layer system and a SpeedTree Actor to choose from.

- It doesn't use voxels, but the DisplacementMap system allows for sheer cliffs, overhangs, etc. However, these geological types are usually best created as staticmeshes.

- You have full control over the terrain distance LOD tesselation system. You can have terrain stay all at full resolution, or drop down by combining quads at a number of levels over distance.

- Occlusion is automatic based on geometry objects.

Comment

Awesome guys, thanks. You pretty much nailed the questions. One more that I thought of... Does unreal have any kind of tool which helps with the construction of roads and paths.. I don't know... like a "road tool" or whatever it would be called...

Comment

No, but your options are to paint them into the terrain or blend in staticmeshes.

Comment

Speaking of speedtrees, does anyone know how to make them? I can get into the speedtree editor, but while it will let me edit an existing speedtree to my heart's content, there doesn't seem to be the option to save it as a new speedtree, and of course saving over an epic tree would be bad.

Also, entirely at random, but how does the bumpoffset node in the material editor work? Do I plug that into the normal value? I figure that panning a doublesided gradient as a bumpmap ought to make some reasonable wave effects, but when I try it I just get a messed up looking decal over the diffuse...

Comment

1. You import new SpeedTrees from SpeedTreeCAD (.spt format). See the SpeedTree web site for information on purchasing it. Unless you can find some demo or freebie .spt's floating around the 'net

2. If you are going to pan the Bump or Normal, you should pan the Diffuse with it or you will see what looks like a separate texture movement in the Material.

Comment

1. I can make the speedtree in UT3 editor, I just need to know how to save it. I can copy an epic package, rename it, delete non-speedtrees, then modify it... but there has to be a better way to do it.

2. Ah, makes sense. Just that when I tried the bumpoffset it made a white texture, I was expecting the normal to only produce shadows...

Comment

Working...
                    X