Has anyone made a lava texture yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thanks a lot SM!!! Looks great in game. When I finish my map you will be credited. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank ya...

I actually dropped this in a map with no lighting and totally forgot that I plugged the texture into something else, so the texture itself doesn't really need to be lit at all. This means what? well, it means you can slap in on a mesh, turn off all shadows from it and all lighting received by it (optimizes performance +100%) and just put the red-orange lights Under the mesh to really maximize the glow effect.

Just thought I should mention that.

By the by, anyone can feel free to use this, I don't really care if you give me a mention in the readme or anything, as I am including this in the aforementioned materials package...

I am going to release that one of these days when I get sick of staring at static meshes lol....

Also, let me know if you need an additional one that scrolls for any flowing lava, though you could probably do that yourself in a minute or two (honestly, after making the texture in PS, the material literally took me about 5 minutes to put together in Unreal Ed).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Excellent work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    YVW Hope that works for you.

I am thinking of just normal mapping a bunch of textures I have hanging around on a harddrive and releasing a custom materials package... we'll see...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i just downloaded it!!

dude you're my hero! me worships you!
    i'll try to do my thingy with it ASAP!

THANKs

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How's this grab ya?

Here's a zip file that includes a custom package with the texture, along with all of the original texture maps including some that I decided to not even bother using.

It's all normal mapped and everything. The only thing that may or may not look funny is that it doesn't move yet, I'm working on that and will send you an updated copy when it's finished.

EDIT: I added the animation/Distortion to it, and it looks really spiffy now, kinda looks like heat distortion + liquid distortion. You'll have to light it... I recommend a not-too-horribly bright red-orange light with a brightness value of about .45 to .66 and a falloff of around 8. Will give it this nice glow look.

Zip: http://dodownload.filefront.com/9393...2bfcd2650b2146

Just unzip the folder and Open the package inside just like any other stock package.

I didn't cook it, so if you want to modify anything, you can still save over it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well, i read that from you in another thread before! but thank you very much then, any idea on an ETA? cause the map that in making, is rather close to the final release

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am making a lava texture to use in a later map, once I have it finished, I'll plop it up here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    looks very good actually, but could you please be so kind, to pass on the texture, just the texture you used for the lava? a link or something? please?

thnks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Making the lava shader was trial and error. I just kept fiddling until I was happy with the result. The thing about my lava is that it looks like **** when its unlit...

...and looks great when it is lit...

It ended up being pretty complex with all the tweaking i did to it so it would probably be better if i just showed you.

Oh and I only halfway know what I'm doing. When it comes to optimizing, some of this stuff may be cut from the shader (without effecting it too much) so it in no way represents the final version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You must share that with us

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there Halo! I've been keeping an eye on that map of yours, it's looking good. How on EARTH did you get that lava material into the map?! I'm fiddling with the material edtior and it's just driving me crazy!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don't touch the lava, you might get burned.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
    I have made something close to lava yesterday:

http://img17.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_721lo.jpg
    Would you mind posting the details of what you selected in the material editor window? I *need* a lava texture for a map I'm making, and I understand the fundamentals of the editor, but not enough to make a lava material from scratch. I will, of course, give you full credit for the material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FreEp View Post
    Maybe someone will convert Lava from Gears Of War? It was just perfect
    Dont think thats legal acctualy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X