import texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

import texture?

you can export from the UED´s (ut204, ut2003) the textures as a dds-data.but how i can import this graphic in ued3 (ut3)

Originally posted by Sunshine1709Str View Post
    you can export from the UED´s (ut204, ut2003) the textures as a dds-data.but how i can import this graphic in ued3 (ut3)
    You will need the photoshop dds plug in from nvidia.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/p...s_plugins.html I believe.

UT3 will import bmp, tga and pcx. You will need to convert the dds texture to one the editor will import. Not sure why they dropped dds, but that is what I've been doing for now.

Comment

will this plug in work for paintshop pro?

Comment

u can also import .PSD (photoshop format)

Comment

you legend greenday584 ta for quick reply. Ive been backtracking thru this thread and this is only to import textures from other maps. My problem is I have converted a .jpg to a .tga with paintshop 1024x512 pixels so all powers of 2 as required but i can not get the materials editor to import it, it opens but shows nothing (im trying to use it as a texture sample) and when i "use current selection in browser" it still says none and nothing shows up. I have both materials and textures ticked in generic browser. anyone got any ideas. Is 16 million colours (24 bit) i believe so should be ok, where am i going wrong? [EDIT] is a certain resolution/dpi required? after closing both paintshop and UED i re-opened ued and am now getting the error contains unrecognizable data?

Comment

You are importing as a 24 bit targa which is good, you can do a 32 bit targa also (with an alpha layer)
            Are you importing it as the std, .tga texture? Then if you are creating a Material and assigning that as a texture sample as you say then it should work fine,,
            Try downloading "InfranView" with the dds plugin (it's free and a great little texture viewer/ saver)
            Load your dds in that and save as a Targa,, if it works which it should then something is wrong with your texture conversion/app..
            Or you could Download "DDS Converter2"; another great free app that converts dds to targa as well as many other format types..

Hope some of that helps..
            VinnieMc

Comment

trick of the trade of getting a working texture is this:

1. The texture must be made of any these dimensions:
              32,64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192

examples of engine compatible texture sizes would be something like:
              1024 x 1024, 2048 x 1024, 8192 x 256, etc

2. The texure must be a compatible format. if you have photoshop, use a PSD. saves confusion with other possible types :P

Should be compatible...

good luck with whatever you are trying to accomplish, any more worries just PM me. would be happy to help .

Comment

paintshop has psd as well, but im just having a look into photoshop now coz of the nvidia toolset. dimensions would be in pixels yerh? IE 512x1024 pixels .tga is current format. I can try PSD i guess but would have to run this thru nvidia toolset then i think? Thank you for your kind offer greenday, i may have to take you up on it, but ill see what i can do with photoshop first as that seems to be most peoples preferred too, my paintshop is at least 3yo anyhow so maybe thats the issue lol

Comment

no need for NVIDIA's tools if you plan for the texture to be a PSD. you only need NVIDIA's tools in the case of a DDS

good luck!

EDIT: ur an Aussie as well? glad to see another Aussie modder

Comment

same mate and already knew you were an aussie, so is lord porksword whos authoured a map called orbital deconstruction or something of the like. Was looking at the mapmixer thread and is a SA feller who is developing that too, dunno if he did the ut2k4 one or not, so is a few around, many more proficient than a n00b like me lol, as Im not coming with mapping experience from 2k4 like so many Thanks for the PSD tip ill give it a whirl

Comment

anyone got any idea of what to put for dpi/pixels an inch? Ive tried this in photoshop and still having no luck 24 bit & 32bit with alpha .tga nothing seems to work [EDIT] tried 4cmx64pixels/cm=256 so everything was a power of 2 but still no good :/ Is there a certain method of convertion I have to use. I tried DDS converter and converted one from tga to bmp still no go...

Comment

I'll explain exactly what ive done and maybe someone can please tell me where ive gone wrong. I open the jpeg in photoshop, crop with the info box set to 4cmx4cm @64pixels/cm resolution (figured they were all powers of two and so is the result 256x256pixels. Cropping done with standard interpolation (maybe im using wrong option). Then resulting image I have saved both as a .tga and a .bmp in cases of tga i have tried both 24 bit and 32bit with alpha channel. Once saved I close the tga/bmp in photoshop. Create a new material in Unreal Editor. Then create a texture sample. Open the generic browser with the texture sample selected (from button in material editor, go to my tga or bmp and it says .tga contains unrecognizable data

Comment

can you possibly post this texture so we can see if there may be a problem with it that you have overlooked?

Comment

thank you very much ffejnosliw http://hosted.filefront.com/FragTastic1/ is blardystone4.tga should be top of the list.

Comment

There is clearly something wrong with your texture. From the appearance in UnrealEd, it looks like maybe it just got corrupted at some point. I simply resaved it out of Photoshop as a .tga under a different name and it imported perfectly fine.

Edit: I never got any unrecognizable data errors so I don't know what that was about.

Comment

Working...
                              X