Making Map work under a Skydome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I dont think so, but there may be some legacy entities somewhere in there for skybox stuff (crosses fingers).

Found it! To make an old school skybox, use cubemaps: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...8&postcount=18

Should be cheap performance wise as long as you set the RT framerate to zero.

PS: I have tried adding my brushes after, rebuilding, ect, I've even tried new geometry, it simply wont let me chop into my new additive brush.

PPS: WTF? Now all of a sudden it decides to work? I can now subtract from addititve brushes I make, I'm making ALL my maps in additive then.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    for 'Subtractive' i would recommend a SkyBox. It should work in UT3, too, I think.. just like in UT2004.

@ Madgobbo: Did you reBuild then? If so and the error is still there. Try to build an really big ADD-Brush, before pasting in your Brushes from subtractive style. Just in size, therefore that your brushes all get in this add-brush. (irks* my english x_X)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Has anyone ACTUALLY tried this? I did, didn't work at all, I copied my brushes into a large additive cube, and they wont show up, the brushes are there, it just wont generate any geometry.

EDIT: in fact, if I make any new subtractive brushes in the additive block, nothing happens, I guess Epic is trying to phase out subtractive style mapping, which is awful, because additive maps (unless you happen to be doing huge outdoor maps) are huge wastes of valuable time.

PS: Don't say "Just get used to it." I've mapped in hammer for the last 3 years and I've found subtractive mapping to give me 10 times more freedom and take half as long.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
    Thats what I am suggesting. Stop with substractive maps, start going additive, you face exactly same skydome problem every time you start substractive. Its possible to fake skybox with cameras, but i think it may have "nice" impact on frame rates. So go for additive folks.

And easiest solution for you: copy your map, start new additive level and paste it there.

Just select all, copy, paste to new level. And add big additive brush, move it to first in order meny, to fake orginal filled up space from substractive map.
    Be careful if you do this though, a subtractive level is really an additive level with a big addition brush around the far edges

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thats what I am suggesting. Stop with substractive maps, start going additive, you face exactly same skydome problem every time you start substractive. Its possible to fake skybox with cameras, but i think it may have "nice" impact on frame rates. So go for additive folks.

And easiest solution for you: copy your map, start new additive level and paste it there.

Just select all, copy, paste to new level. And add big additive brush, move it to first in order meny, to fake orginal filled up space from substractive map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think to properly use the skydomes for an outdoor map you should have started an "Additive" map and not a "Subtractive" map.
    You might be able to get it to work as mentioned above but this new version of the editor works better with "Additive" method.
    I just finished making my first "Outdoor" map just to get a feel for this new method.

Good Luck!

Làámßø

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Add brush as land and scale skydome with scale widget.
    And as karmatized mentioned, add some decorations.
    Make sure you added some of gametype identifiers to it. So its like DM-MYMAP or CTF-MYMAP, not just MYMAP. Then compile map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you ether make the sky dome smaller or add stuff around the map to block off players and give make them think there are things beyond just the main playable area of your map

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Making Map work under a Skydome

Making Map work under a Skydome

Hi peeps.

I've been working on a small map at the moment and i'm stuck with adding SkyDome into it.

I created the map firstly using Subtractive and then proceed to delete off all the walls from the map and added in the Skydome.

There's a few questions:

What do i need to create so that the map doesn't look like its just a single piece of land floating in space?

How do i make the skydome envelopes the whole map?

And when i tried to "Click here to play Map" function it doesn't work at all. It gives me an error. Rather when i have the walls around me it works fine
Working...
X