Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much freedom do modders get?

Hi,
    Does any body know how much freedom modders get when creating Total Conversions? I know I can bring all new assets, new weapons, UI, and Game Types but can the core game play be changed?
    Example: Using the tools that come with UT3 can I create a mod that, say, plays out like The Witcher where you have an ABOVE camera and you use the point and click method to play??? Or can I only stick to a first person game with that has had a complete overhaul but the core game play is changed very little.

this is going to be a lame answer, but its going to answer all your questions...

If its not in the user end license agreement saying that you specifically can't do it... then you have a great case to argue that you can.

BUT based on past experience, you can have an above camera view, and change the play style as much as you want [alien swarm for UT2K4 is a good example... but maybe the rules have changed since last time who knows? ]

Comment

Hmm, I actually didn't wanna know about the legal ramifications . But it's good to know that too. Just wanted to know if the code could be manipulated that way through the access provided to the mod community. Thanks.

Comment

Well, if ut2004 is any indication, you should have quite a bit of flexibility in creating what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by jansoft88 View Post
          Using the tools that come with UT3 can I create a mod that, say, plays out like The Witcher where you have an ABOVE camera and you use the point and click method to play???
          http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=585919

Comment

In both examples you are still using the WASD keys to move the character around. Can that be changed so that the character moves where the mouse is clicked. Kinda like in Diablo or Monkey Island ... or any RTS game for that matter .

Comment

The reason UT has been around for as long as it has is because Epic is the best in the business when it comes to supporting the mod community, hands down. The "make something unreal" contest for ut2k4 should be proof enough of that. Your only limitation, as with most mods, is that you cannot sell your mod. You have to purchase an engine license to be able to make a profit from your mod. But if you can dream it up, have a team that can get it done, and don't mind giving the mod away for free, go for it!

Comment

Working...
              X