Precise brush resizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precise brush resizing?

Ok this is annoying, I can't seem to resize a brush as accuratley as we could in UT2k4. How do I accuratley resize a brush down to the tinyest spec?

simple, use the widget tools and if you need further control click simply click on the geometry tool and use it with the widget tools.

Comment

You can also measure the distance that you need the brush to fit in and then create a brush that follows that distance. Example, calculate the distance you need in the Y Axis by clicking and dragging the middle mouse button from one end to the other (it WILL snap to the grid so use the proper grid setting). Now make a brush which is the same units in Y as the distance and then move it into place. Voila.

Comment

just a note, keep bsp brushes on grid, otherwise... youll run into problem.

Comment

Yep, and if you've missed the grid a little for some reason (different grid setting or toggled the grid off for some reason) you can right click on any of the 4 visible vertices in an orthographic view to snap the brush to the nearest grid point.

Comment

Yeah it's just annoying because the further out I am, the harder it gets to control, sometimes I need to resize a really big brush.

Comment

Umm .. have you tried increasing your grid setting when you are further out? Or increasing the scale increment?

Comment

When I create a simple additive BSP cube, say in multiples of 256, it doesn't align properly on the grid. So when I click on the 256 delta toggle, it is off the grid. How do I remedy this?

Thanks

Comment

make sure its on the grid to start with :P in order to do that click the builder brush button [the square or cyllindar on the left side menu ] twice, which should snap it to the grid

also, make sure to use the same size grid or larger in order to keep it on the grid, because if you use a smaller grid size, then the brush had a 50/50 chance of being off the major grid lines if you double the grid size.

Comment

Originally posted by l-_-l View Post
                    make sure its on the grid to start with :P in order to do that click the builder brush button [the square or cyllindar on the left side menu ] twice, which should snap it to the grid

also, make sure to use the same size grid or larger in order to keep it on the grid, because if you use a smaller grid size, then the brush had a 50/50 chance of being off the major grid lines if you double the grid size.

Ahh, k thx!

When you say use the same grid size or larger, I don't quite understand what you mean.

What grid size is a good choice?

Comment

Grid size depends upon what you're working with. 16 is default. What he is saying is that if you are snapped to the grid at a setting of 16 and you lower the grid to 8 and move your brush one grid unit. Then turn the grid back to 16, your brush corners will not be in the middle of 16 unit grids. It WILL still snap but won't snap directly to the grid. To remedy that you use one of the solutions told earlier in this thread.
                      And good choice, it really depends on your situation. 16 is default to I work with 16 until I have to change it for some reason.
                      Example, Snapping a static mesh to another, maybe on a setting of 16 it will either be a bit apart or will overlap with the other mesh. Using a setting of 8 or 4 might solve the problem.

Comment

i always work in the correct multiples when working with BSP.

8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, etc...

While working with BSP i often change the scaling of the grid. Example:

making a hall, 384 wide (128+256) and 768 long (256+512) ill set the grid to 64. then lets say i need to cut out some alcoves, or a depression for a path, or a recess in the ceiling, ill drop the grid down to 16 or 8 and make that cut or add.

so working with bsp you need to constantly adjust the grid size as you work. at least thats what best works for me, to keep things on grid and stable.

Comment

Working...
                        X