How do I create Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create Snow?

Can anyone tell me how to add a snow effect to my map? I'll take whatever info I can get!

have you opened up the avalanche map in the editor and looked to see how epic did it?

Comment

Checking out an already made map is a good idea. You'd probably do the effect via the particle editor though. I think Hourences has a tutorial on the editor in www.hourences.com. Check that out. It would be a good idea to get the UT3 CE VTMs from somewhere because they have a section on the particle editor too.
      Good Luck.

Comment

I checked Avalanche but didn't quite know what to look for. It's done differently than 2k4, right?

Thanks, I'll check Hourences again.

Comment

in 2k4, you used....uhh... wait a sec

xWeatherEffect

ex: see grendelkeep rain effect

Comment

Ok I just opened avalanche too. I thought the snow would be an emitter but couldn't find it. It also wasn't evident as if snow was falling when I turned the real time preview on.

Comment

i noticed that the rain in coret was actually a mesh, there is a "weather" section in the static mesh files, UN_Weather i think, try looking at that.

i assumed you just meant snow in general, not just falling snow, why i pointed you to look at avalanche.

you might also look at : War-Onyxcoast, DM-Gateway, & DM-Biohazard they as well have snow/ice themes.

Comment

Hmm, static mesh...! That's interesting but that also rules out the possibility of creating the system using UnrealED. We'd have to use Maya or something equivalent to make the snow which is kinda disconcerting.

Comment

Yeah, I just need falling snow. Rain might work, I'll look at Coret.

Comment

There's p_snow1 in envy_level_effects_2 but its kind of small and obviously being blown by the wind, not falling. But you can probably edit that enough to fit what you need

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that out too.

Comment

Anyone having any luck? I've been experimenting with stuff but still no good.. :\

Comment

I've been looking almost everywhere.. no luck yet.
                          And I NEED snow for a map I am making.

Comment

This had me stumped for ages, but it's actually really straightforward. If you open up WAR-Avalanche and click the show all actors button, the snow should appear. It's basically the rain cube mesh from the UN_Weather package but with a snow material applied to it (which can be found in the same package).

Likewise, the rain on WAR-Downtown consists of lots of rain cube static meshes but with the drizzle material applied for a lighter rain. The reason you don't see them in the editor is because they're in a Rain group (see the generic browser "groups" tab) which is set to hidden to stop them getting in the way while editing. Just tick the check box there and it'll all appear for you to look at.

It's just a case of using many copies of that rain cube mesh with the right material applied to it, then scaling them up as much as you can get away with.

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                              This had me stumped for ages, but it's actually really straightforward. If you open up WAR-Avalanche and click the show all actors button, the snow should appear. It's basically the rain cube mesh from the UN_Weather package but with a snow material applied to it (which can be found in the same package).

Likewise, the rain on WAR-Downtown consists of lots of rain cube static meshes but with the drizzle material applied for a lighter rain. The reason you don't see them in the editor is because they're in a Rain group (see the generic browser "groups" tab) which is set to hidden to stop them getting in the way while editing. Just tick the check box there and it'll all appear for you to look at.

It's just a case of using many copies of that rain cube mesh with the right material applied to it, then scaling them up as much as you can get away with.
                              THANK YOU!!!
                              I feel sooo freaken stupid now. lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X