Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UnrealED BSP Issue.

Hey all,
    I was following the first 5 tutorials for UnrealED that came with the CE and I did a complete rebuild. At that time I had 3 Subtraction brushes and 6 static meshes in the scene with 2 lights. When the rebuild was done the static meshes stopped appearing in any view mode but the Brush-Wireframe mode. It's really wierd. I can see the Static Meshes, I can see the lighting on them but I cannot see the BSP brushes. If I subtract new brushes they aren't visible as well. Only in Brush Wireframe mode are they visible. I had a backup so I loaded that one but if this problem strikes again and I don't have a backup I'll have to make the level again. Can anyone help me with this please?
    If anyone wants I can upload the file as well.
    Jari.

Yes .. I just did it again (this time on purpose to see if only the Complete Rebuild option does this). If I click complete rebuild this happens. If I build the BSPs and Lights separately this doesn't happen. Any insights?

Comment

Oh wait .. it also happens if I rebuild the geometry when nothing needs to be built (all the BSP brushes are already built). Is this a bug? Coz this can make life hell for a level designer.

Comment

Hellooo...!

Comment

I've never experienced that. Maybe you can post some screenshots?

Comment

click the drop down arrow for the window and make sure BSP is checked "show BSP"

Comment

Well .. show BSP was checked. If I turn it off though BSP brushes which ARE visible in Wireframe disappear too and come back when show BSP is on. In either case the brushes aren't visible in any other mode than Brush-Wireframe. Here is a link to the file with the problem. You can probably recreate this problem by subtracting a brush and then building it once or twice without making any change.

http://www.geocities.com/jansoft88/f..._samp_prob.zip

Comment

have no idea what you have done. I have been working with BSP since UT99. Have not seen this issue.

Do you have an earlier back up before this happened? go back to that or start over :/

over my years of level making UT... i have learned one thing, save often, and save copies.

Comment

im pretty sure it has something to do with not being a subtractive map. that or you somehow managed to delete the outside additive box.

But this is just a real guess.

Comment

I had a backup. And I worked on the level and have now finished it. The saving thing is not just with unreal though, working with anything on a computer one should save often . Anyhow, I still would like a solution to this problem. If I ever do this by mistake and an auto save happens right after I'd have to go and work on the whole level again.

P.S. The link in your sig doesn't work. Would like to see the tutorial.

Comment

yea, i just exported your map and then imported it into a fresh subtractive map and everything works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mageslain View Post
                        im pretty sure it has something to do with not being a subtractive map. that or you somehow managed to delete the outside additive box.

But this is just a real guess.
                        No! it is a subtractive map. I've actually finished it (I had a backup copy from when the problem hadn't happened yet), you can find it here:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...3#post25138573

No so much of a map as it is the result of a bit of practice with UnrealED . I dunno why this problem happened but I do know that I wouldn't want it to happen half way through a bigger and more complex map but if it does, there has got to be a solution for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mageslain View Post
                          yea, i just exported your map and then imported it into a fresh subtractive map and everything works.
                          Oh great . Although the fact that it happens and there seems to be no explanation for it will probably cause me not to sleep tonight .
                          HUGE Thanks for everybody's help.

Comment

Okeee, I just did the export import thing and it didn't work. I exported ALL into a file and then imported it several times in both Subtractive style and Additive style files and the Subtraction brushes just aren't visible. Funny thing though that adding a brush in all cases made a visible brush but subtracting didn't.

Comment

im still pretty sure its cause you some how deleted the additive box.
                              example is if you start a new subtractive map and zoom all the way out you will see a blue box that you can select. but in your first file you uploaded the box was missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X