So I have this level that's 90% subtractive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have this level that's 90% subtractive

And lets say I have a small subtractive area about 512 x 256 x 256 that I want as a window to look out of, How would I go about making a "skybox" thats surrounding my map?

It would make sense that you would start out with the "sky box", then build another "box" inside of that with some sort of clear/window texture. Or, if you already have the level built and only need to build the skybox, just make a larger "box" aroundwhat you have, and give that a sky texture. Does it not work?

Comment

Yeah that's what I would do. Just subtract a box or a sphere outside the existing subtractive box and put a sky/env texture on it. Haven't done such thing myself so don't know the technical details.

Comment

This is exactly why it's best to always make Additive maps. Even if you plan on making a Subtractive level, make it Additive and place a huge cube and give it Add. This way you can always just add a skybox outside the cube and build a window somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by _freespace_ View Post
          This is exactly why it's best to always make Additive maps. Even if you plan on making a Subtractive level, make it Additive and place a huge cube and give it Add. This way you can always just add a skybox outside the cube and build a window somewhere.
          Hmm, I dunno. For some reason subtractive makes more sense to me. Anyhow, you're an experiences mapper so you're probably right . Can you help me out in this thread?

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=589506

Wierd prob with UnrealED.

Comment

Well in UE2.x all maps you made started out subtractive, so if you've used the older editors it might feel more natural out of habit.

Comment

Yeah when I dove into the editor, I started with subtractive just out of habit. Until I got around to making the skybox and discovered that my newly subtracted level couldn't have one anymore. Had to start all over again with additive (which is much better IMO now that I've gotten the hang of it).

Comment

Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
                And lets say I have a small subtractive area about 512 x 256 x 256 that I want as a window to look out of, How would I go about making a "skybox" thats surrounding my map?
                Maybe it could be done with streaming level with kismet. Just maybe

Comment

or you could just easly subtrack a huge box that intersects the window subtracted box, and then add a skybox to sit partially in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X