What happen to Encroach Damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happen to Encroach Damage?

Did anyone find a place to add Encroach Damage in the UT3 Editor with movers? I unfortunately can’t squish my victims in the torture chamber and I really need to free up some space.

I would think this could be done with Kismet - the tutorials go a little bit into this. Just fire an event whenever a mover "touches" an actor.

Comment

Thank you for the idea!

To create Encroach Damage create a mover event in kismet for your mover. I have a prescripted toggle switched wall squasher so i deleted the matinee action. I then created a Cause Damage action. I made a new var player and attached the target (from cause damage) and the actor hit (from the mover event). I then set th damage to 1000 on the cause damage action and set the property in wall mover > InterpActor > bStopOnEncroach off.

IT WORKED!

Comment

Hello

I am need of some help here with enroaching players when they're getting crushed by a mover.

My goal is that... When a switch is activated, a ceiling comes falling down in the center of my map. Anyone in that room, when crushed by the ceiling, is killed.

Now, I got that far. But I've ran into some problems!

When one person is killed by the ceiling, everyone in the entire server or game is killed too. This is because bAllPlayers is set to true. So I set it to false, but this only made it so that whoever hit the switch to activate the mover, is killed.

My big problem here is that it just won't work the way I want it to. I followed the instructions above pretty much exactly, but this is the result for me.

Any help would be GREAT. I'm trying to get this map done ASAP lol. If anyone needs any extra info I'll be sure to give it out. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks, Cerous, Tonester.
          To further explain things, this is what it should look like:

EDIT. No. That killed ALL players :/

Comment

Originally posted by Cerous View Post
            Thank you for the idea!

To create Encroach Damage create a mover event in kismet for your mover. I have a prescripted toggle switched wall squasher so i deleted the matinee action. I then created a Cause Damage action. I made a new var player and attached the target (from cause damage) and the actor hit (from the mover event). I then set th damage to 1000 on the cause damage action and set the property in wall mover > InterpActor > bStopOnEncroach off.

IT WORKED!
            Most excellent. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelscope View Post
              Thanks, Cerous, Tonester.
              To further explain things, this is what it should look like:

EDIT. No. That killed ALL players :/
              ya... you need a way to let it figures which player to do damage.. i'm struggling on this too...

I'm wondering what does Instigator and Actor Hit do..

Comment

Originally posted by heyqule View Post
                ya... you need a way to let it figures which player to do damage.. i'm struggling on this too...

I'm wondering what does Instigator and Actor Hit do..
                If you connect the same Object variable to the Actor Hit link of the Mover event and the Target of the Cause Damage action, it "should" cause damage to the actor the mover hits.

The Actor Hit link should output a value into the Object variable (notice that it is a triangle-shaped link...this means it writes to a variable).

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                  If you connect the same Object variable to the Actor Hit link of the Mover event and the Target of the Cause Damage action, it "should" cause damage to the actor the mover hits.

The Actor Hit link should output a value into the Object variable (notice that it is a triangle-shaped link...this means it writes to a variable).
                  thank you... it works..

Comment

How do you insert the player circle?

Comment

nevermind variable object then player... thanks for this infomation it helped me.

Comment

If you put PLAYER there it will kill YOU every time , even if bot activates it. Looking hot wo kill one who actually touched.

Comment

I just found out, small correction:
                          use "OBJECT" instead of player for variable
                          then connect it to "Instigator" in trigger event and to "target" in cause damage.

Comment

But a question; regarding a switch to activate the 'smasher' how do you set it so the instigator gets frag credit for the kill? BTW, that isn't necessarily true; I have it set to player and as long as i'm not in the 'smasher' mover i'm safe; although, anyone in it's path is killed; I'd like to know how to get the instigator to get credit for the deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by pingfreak View Post
                              But a question; regarding a switch to activate the 'smasher' how do you set it so the instigator gets frag credit for the kill? BTW, that isn't necessarily true; I have it set to player and as long as i'm not in the 'smasher' mover i'm safe; although, anyone in it's path is killed; I'd like to know how to get the instigator to get credit for the deaths.
                              I would think hooking an Object variable to the Instigator links of both the Trigger's event and the CauseDamage action should accomplish this.

Comment

Working...
                              X