Only a Gig of environmental content?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only a Gig of environmental content?

I spent the whole day yesterday looking over the models and textures/materials in the "Environments" folder, and to be honest it seems like little compared to what I expected. That can't be all the textures and models for mapping the game has can it? I mean UT2004 had over 4 gigs if I remember correctly...

That's cooked content. Which means that gig of files is just the remains of the actual data. What you're looking at is just the low level mips (ie, the 1024x1024 versions, etc.), which get loaded seperately. Everything else, all the high level (smaller) mips are cooked (duplicated) into the map. That includes all static meshes, and materials, as well.

Once you uncook the packages (see the sticky thread), you'll see what all is actually there.

Comment

Ahh I see now. Thanks a lot man!

Comment

Thank this might have solve my UT3:CE dvd problem with not finding some of the static meshes and materials

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehed316 View Post
          That's cooked content. Which means that gig of files is just the remains of the actual data. What you're looking at is just the low level mips (ie, the 1024x1024 versions, etc.), which get loaded seperately. Everything else, all the high level (smaller) mips are cooked (duplicated) into the map. That includes all static meshes, and materials, as well.

Once you uncook the packages (see the sticky thread), you'll see what all is actually there.
          Forgive me if i'm being a little thick (even after reading the sticky). I'm not really completely understanding the whole cooked/uncooked thing.

So for instance the missing dvd tutorial content that Sharpshotoo7 refers to, that's cooked into one of the maps?

To extract the various content (materials, meshes etc) from the map you'd need to open the map perform the "obj..." process mentioned in the other thread then export out all the bits and pieces you need to a brand new package?

Comment

That is correct. The joys of cooked content.

Comment

Working...
            X