Water and Underwater Post Processing Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water and Underwater Post Processing Effects

Well, I don't know how many other people have had problems with water, so I'm writing this up. It's not really a tutorial and I'm not all that great at explaining things, nor does this explain a whole lot. But it's a lot more than what I've found, so it's a place to start and maybe it will save someone from getting a headache or two. Also, if anyone can tell me how to make it automatically switch instead of fade in, that would be great.

The water itself is pretty easy, don't need to say much about it. Water Volume brushes and what not make it a lot easier than I recall it being previously. But in UEd3, you could change the color of the water, which is what I set out to try and do. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure that out and l-_-l suggested that I open up a level with water that I had previously mentioned.

I'm sure people have figured this stuff out already, but if you haven't, here's what I've figured out so far. The PostProcessingVolume brush allows you to add blur (as well as motion blur) and change the color when entering the volume area.

In the PostProcessingVolume properties, under PostProcessingVolume is the Settings tab. There's a lot of stuff in here and I honestly don't know what a lot of it does and probably never will. But I have figured a few things out like I said.

Blur

bEnableDOF allows you to blur everything, which is more realistic underwater.
    DOF_BlurKernelSize is how blurry things get.
    DOF_FalloffExponent is how close or far the blur effect happens.
    DOF_FocusDistance seems to have something to do with how blurry things are at a certain distance. I haven't looked at this or DOF_FocusInnerRadius too much.
    DOF_FocusInnerRadius seems to have something to do with how clear things are to you or where the blur starts taking effect. The smaller the number, the closer things get blurry at.

The rest of the DOF settings I personally haven't seen much or any change when changing.

Color Changing

Changing colors in the PostProcessVolume is done under the Scene_Highlights, Scene_Midtones, and Scene_Shadows. It's based on CMYK (though you only use CMY) rather than RBG.

X = Cyan
    Y = Magenta
    Z = Yellow

Higher numbers make darker tones. I'm not entirely sure what effects the different settings have beyond the obvious. Highlights is obviously brighter than Midtones and shadows can completely black everything out if you're not careful. I'm sure they make some sort of impact on things, but as I said, I'm not sure what.

I'd also like to mention Scene_Desaturation. It allows you to fade the color if you wish as well. 0 = Fully saturated, 1 = Fully desaturated. Bastically, 1 gives you grayscale. All the numbers inbetween there can give you faded colors if you want.

I haven't bothered with motion blur as I don't see much point to that for water and may fiddle with it for other things, maybe time dialations or something.

is in UT3 Dynamic Water? something like WaterSurfaceInfo ?

Comment

I still haven't figured out the DynamicWater. But I haven't seen anything for WaterSurfaceInfo as of yet. My personal theory is that DynamicWater has something to do with it, but I could be totally wrong.

Comment

Unfortunately this only let's you use the default post process effect, which doesn't include a material effect for doing things like underwater distortion,
        There's supposed to be a way to use a custom post process effect by switching it in out kismet, but so far it eludes me.

Comment

Working...
        X