This FAQ is designed to help anyone that has a common question regarding the new editor.

NOTE: If you have an answer to a common UED issue, fix, tip or shortcut please post it. I will keep this post updated with the new entry's.

FAQ - General

Q. Some people call the new editor UED3 and some say UED4, which is it?
A. It is called --> UT3Ed

Q. Where is the editor and how do i start it up?
A. There is more then one way to do this but the easiest is to double click the shortcut for 'Unreal Tournament 3 Editor' in your All Programs menu.

Q. What are the .upk files?
A. They seem to hold the custom content of your map such as textures, materials, static meshes etc.

Q. How do i play test my map in game?
A. You need to do the following...
1. Make sure you saved your map with a gametype prefix in the file name such as DM-Test
2. Look to see if the following folders exsist, if not you will need to manualy create them.

C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

3. Perform a Build All and then perform a Publish command on the map.
4. Launch the game, select IA and apropriate gametype. You should see your map at the bottom of the list of available maps.

Q. Can i change the size of the in-editor window that i use to play test my map with?
A. I have read you can change it by using the SETRES command but not 100% sure.

FAQ - Features

Q. Is there a ruler in the new UED?
A. Yes, simply click and hold down the middle mouse button and drag.

Q. Where did the slice tool go and how do i clip my brushes?
A. See this post for step by step process. http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...15&postcount=4

Q. How do i flip the clipmarker so it will clip the other side/end of my brush?
A. You can use the widget tool by clicking one of the push pin markers and moving it to the opposite side of the other marker. This will cause the clipmarker to point the opposite direction.

Q. Is there a 2D Shape Editor in the new UT3Ed?
A. I am not totaly clear on this, but it may have been incorperated into the new Geometry Tool.

FAQ - Textures/Materials

Q. How do i find differnt materials, static meshes etc in the Generic Browser?
A. You can either right click on a curently listed entry in the Generic Browser and choose 'Fully Load' or use the Generic Browser to open a .upk package. Packages are located in 'Your_UT_Install_Folder\UTGame\CookedPC\Environmen ts'

Q. How come i can't apply a texture to things such as my BSP?
A. UT3Ed deals with textures differntly then it did in previous versions. Now it uses Materials which is comprised of one or more textures. So you will first need to make a material with your textures and then apply that.

FAQ - Audio
check back soon.

FAQ - Import & Export
check back soon.

FAQ - Issues

Q. I cant see any static meshes in my viewport, whats wrong?
A. Make sure you have told the vieport to display them by clicking the dropdown arrow on the title bar for the viewport and selecting static meshes. You can also hide things from view using the same method.

Q. Why do all my static meshes have no detail to them when i play the map?
A. This is because there is a setting for static meshes which seems to be off by default and you need to turn it on for each static mesh. Simply right click the static mesh in question and goto its properties, then look for bforcemipstreaming and click the check box. Note you can multiple select several static meshes and apply this setting to all of them at once if need be.