The new Unreal Editor and how it works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Unreal Editor and how it works

After a while of playing with the new editor and watching the first few tutorials from the CE bonus disc, I have to say that the new features and enhancements to UED are great! When UT2004 came out I was used to level design with BSP and felt learning to model with 3DS MAX was going to be a daunting task. After a while of learning on my own I came to love MAX. As the years went by I learned a lot and leaned more towards modeling than mapping. I focused on structural modeling and will always prefer architecture to all other forms of art. So mapping is and will always be what I love to do. Making a level that someone can play is so much more attractive and rewarding to me than programming or making characters (not to mention I suck at those aspects of game design). I was pleased to find that the new UED feels a lot like MAX. The new way of handling scale and moving brushes was easy for me to become accustomed to. In UT3 and GoW there are a lot of great meshes and textures to mess with. Generally I am very happy with the new engine and hope to make a few killer maps for both games.

The bar was raised in terms of skill and learning but this is a good thing in my opinion. Things may take longer to make but it is worth it! Now I am not even too far into the tutorials and want to get right to the materials part because that is what I think is the biggest advancement, but even as a long time mapper I learned a few new things about the engine from the first few basic tutorials. As I get deeper into them I know I will find more things I love about the new engine. As it stands now I am much more enthusiastic about this UED than scared as I was with the last. Though I wasted a lot of my time the past few years following other goals I still want to work in games, and I want to hear what modders who have been fully active from UT2004 till now think about the new engine and how it will effect them.

So please share your impressions of the new engine and your own workflow. I want as much feedback on this as possible! Anything you have to say about UT3 modding is relevant.

Have you figured out how to import a mesh from 3d studio max yet?

20 hours of video, and nothing giving the steps to import mesh and get the textures to show up on it

(Of course the editor crashes on me so often its hard to spend much time trying)

Jim-

Comment

There's tutorials on how to do the exporting from 3DS Max and into UnrealEd Jimbo. Google it

Comment

For those without deep pockets, any tuts on say XSI Modtool getting a textured static mesh into UT3 UnrealEd process?

Comment

I hope the dynamic shadows are fixed. As it stands, there is 14 minute video on the CE disk devoted to a broken feature (which was recognized as broken even when the video was made).

Having shadows that aren't as good as the demo from 2004 is one thing, but advertising a patently broken feature is quite another.

Comment

Originally posted by Halif4x View Post
            I hope the dynamic shadows are fixed. As it stands, there is 14 minute video on the CE disk devoted to a broken feature (which was recognized as broken even when the video was made).

Having shadows that aren't as good as the demo from 2004 is one thing, but advertising a patently broken feature is quite another.
            Wow I haven't got to this yet, if dynamic shadows are broken that sucks. But at least this engine has great lighting compared to how it was in UT2004.

Comment

save it as an OBJ file, also you can go get the 3dbuzz.com's MASTERING UNREAL TECHNOLOGY (UNREAL ENGINE 3) books once they come out (published by epic) that should get you up to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperforce View Post
                MASTERING UNREAL TECHNOLOGY (UNREAL ENGINE 2)
                Corrected, the book(s) for UE3 isn't released yet.

Comment

does anyone know how to clip brushes?
                  I can't find out how

Comment

I used to make a additive brush solid to use as a cutting tool larger than the brush plane you want to clip. Then take your red builder brush and align it against the solid brush so the part you want cut off the builder brush is completely inside the solid brush. Don't forget to do a build first before you do the actual clipping via a deintersect. The builder brush will be reshaped and then you can use that to make a new solid additive brush or subtractive brush whatever you want to do.

Comment

Cheers, I'll use that way.
                      Does that mean there is now "clipping" in the new editor?

grah! the **** thing keeps crashing

Comment

I don't know yet. Still checking the new UnrealEd myself. The last time I seriously edited that way was before UT2004 came out with the custom mesh thing going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          Corrected, the book(s) for UE3 isn't released yet.
                          thats what I said :P

"ONCE THEY COME OUT"

Comment

Kinda got hijacked and taken off track but that's cool...

So getting back on track what do you all think of the interface and any other thoughts on the engine?

Comment

does anyone know where exactly the materials are that are referenced in the early tutorials....when he says to open the environments file....where is that exactly, i keep defaulting to "cookedpc" and contents and yes i know this is a nubtastic question, but i have the ce and it seems that i havent loaded all the resources or something...

Comment

Working...
                              X