• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thanks alot mate i think i get it now

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This UEd is very similar. A few things are done a bit differently and that's where you seem to be coming unstuck. You select additive or subtractive geometry at the start, (added just seems to subtract a giant cube for you before you start). Instead of textures, you select a surface and use a material in the same way. These are located in the Environments folder in the main instalation along with statics and other things you can use, arranged in to packages. You may still want to get the "UT3 Bonus Vids" to help but you should be able to do without them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    " I- -I " do you know of any tutorial's for the new unrealEd 4, all iv found is the link i posted for "vertical". (man now im wishing i bought the CE version for that extra couple of quid, just to have those tutorials lol )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by l-_-l View Post
    I ran into that also, i was pretty good at the UT2K4 editor but that stuff seems to work quite a bit different.!

Did you check 3D Buzz for the New tutorials? I havn't yet, might have to do that. ... of course i got the CE for exactly that reason.... getting the tutorials... check this out it might help you out a bit...

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=587915

LOL im sorry, that link is for UT2K4 tutorial forgot for a moment that the new ed is UED 4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not your fault. We are all here to learn more and help others.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    vertical i had the same problem as you, thanks to this tutorial:-
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated.htm
    i have now made my first room (woot go me lol)
    my problem was turning a texture into a material so it cud be mapped onto a wall etc, this helped...

i do have to say tho, i much prefer the editor that came with 2004, was a lot simpler to use, as far as i've seen there is little if no textures with the game? ..if there is then they are too hidden coz i worked out 70% of unrealEd 2.0 by myself where this must need a real wiz to figure all out lol.. but o well, im moving in the right direction now which is good!...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I keep seeing the same 2k4 editor (i know thats not the name) tutorials come up. Haven't anyone made some for the ut3 editor yet =( I cant get the CE so im kinda screwed if not, cause i still haven't found out how to create a single room.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    (relised i couldnt edit my post so this is an adition)

edit: ..iv just managed to import a picture that i want to use as my "material/texture" but its got a red outline..and iv read it needs to be green to use on a wall etc..im guessin this is turning it into a material, how do i go about that, iv tried trial n error n its coming up blank so far lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HykCraft View Post
    UnrealEd 4 is in the works. This is the Unreal3 engine. UT2K4 used the Unreal 2 and Unreal 2.5 engine.
    ok my mistake, yeah i see it is called "editor for unreal tournament 3" when i load it...the reason for me thinkin it was 4.0 was because iv bin searching high and low for tutorials, and when i find some for "unreald 3.0" this is the older version which i used with the 2004 game. so can anyone point me in the right direction? lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Look for the link to Archetonic's tutorial for UT3. That is how I started with '99 and 2k4 and I guarantee I'll work through it for this version too! THis may take a while longer to learn than 2k4 after '99 goty version but the stunning visuals in the commercial maps are fantastic IMHO and give us something to aspire for.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UnrealEd 4 is in the works. This is the Unreal3 engine. UT2K4 used the Unreal 2 and Unreal 2.5 engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by matorme View Post
    the editor with UT3 is unreald 4.0 not 3.0 (tats the one with 2k4).. i know how to use 3.0 but 4.0 is soo much different? i cant even put a simple texture onto a wall, anyone help? just point me in the direction of where the stockpile of textures is lol.
    Thanks.
    No it's not 4. Common misconception. It's been said by Epic that they refer to the 'new editor' merely as 'Unreal Editor for [gamename]', they appear to get upset when people call it UnrealEd 4.

As above posts, you now use MATERIALS not textures, you create a material from a texture (or not you may not need a texture depending on what you are doing ie using a constant colour as a base or something, it's up to you) but you apply the materials, you can't apply a simple 'texture'. So check 'materials' in the generic browser and uncheck 'textures' unless you want to see them to make new materials of you own with them.

>> for the other posters new to all versions of the editor >>

Also one of the best ways of seeing how things are done on a wider level is to load up one of the epic DM maps and reverse engineer/disect it and just play around with it until you see what they are doing. Sometimes it's easier (if you are the curious type) to learn this way rather than following tutorials, tutorials are sometimes better later on when you already understand the flow/know your way around the editor by messing with supplied maps. Copy any map you mess with so you can be sure you won't change it (not sure if you can now with the cooked thing but haven't got it to check).

Anyway, the above worked for me back in UNREAL ED 1 (unreal single player 1998), loaded up a map and just played around with it for a few days - then all the 'tutorials' seemed a lot clearer.

Oh and don't rush it and accept that it takes lots of time to know everything (especially with the new editor which is a lot more advanced).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Vertical View Post
    Ok so i saw alot of the guides from 3Dbuzz that was recommended in this thread, and they were AWESOME!! The problem is that when i tried to follow them in the new editor, i always ran into a problem because its just done diffrent than they do it in the old editor =/

I added my room but i never found out how to texture the walls etc.
    I ran into that also, i was pretty good at the UT2K4 editor but that stuff seems to work quite a bit different.!

Did you check 3D Buzz for the New tutorials? I havn't yet, might have to do that. ... of course i got the CE for exactly that reason.... getting the tutorials... check this out it might help you out a bit...

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=587915

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the editor with UT3 is unreald 4.0 not 3.0 (tats the one with 2k4).. i know how to use 3.0 but 4.0 is soo much different? i cant even put a simple texture onto a wall, anyone help? just point me in the direction of where the stockpile of textures is lol.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To use textures has been said many times now,in many threads.

you have to tick materials,(not textures)then goto your ut3 install folder look for cookedpc and go in Environments folder.click want you want to load up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X