Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked / Unpublished / Etc

i just have a simpel question:

why add all this complexity? by cooking, etc. in 2k4, i'd save my map and play, i wouldn't have to cook etc...

It's not really all that complex. All you have to do is click on the publish button after you've finished you're build. Cooking the map optimizes it for play. It may not be all that important for a simple DM level, but in the more complex maps with many rooms with movers, triggers, etc, it'll probably make the difference in FPS. I used to get better performance out of my UT 2004 maps when I split it into zones. If cooking tweaks the performance of maps, I'm all for it.

Comment

is it possible to edit/change a cooked map and then re-cook it or is that not possible?

Comment

Originally posted by CVROY View Post
        is it possible to edit/change a cooked map and then re-cook it or is that not possible?
        Yes, it's possible.

Comment

I re-cooked Torlan and it tripled it's filesize... what's up with that?

Comment

whoa! What is that ****???

Comment

Cooking a map optimizes for several reasons, one is to cut down on the time it takes to load while in game. It may make it larger but now it can be read sequentially. All things being equal, even a small file read randomly takes longer.

Defrag your harddrive!

Comment

That doesn't make sense, why would Epic ship a map that was not already optimised? Obviously, something is missing here. I would think that re-cooking a cooked map would produce basically the same sized file, not a much bigger one!

Explanation needed. Epic?

Tranz

Comment

wrong, cooked maps compress things based on there settings in the map, depending on the flags you set for textures and music. IT wont make anything bigger or smaller that isnt set to be that way.

by default no compression is used on anything till you cook the map

Comment

Originally posted by Solace View Post
                    I re-cooked Torlan and it tripled it's filesize... what's up with that?
                    Consider it this way: If your meal is already cooked, it will be perfect for eating. However, if you decide to cook it again, you might end up with some yucky, inedible stuff. This is what happened when you tried to cook Torlan again.

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
                      cooked maps compress things based on there settings in the map, depending on the flags you set for textures and music. IT wont make anything bigger or smaller that isnt set to be that way.
                      Any place were we can get some info on what these settings are and how they effect compression?

Tranz

Comment

heres a example
                        inport a custom audio file, and make the cue for it. You can select its compression in its settings.

It wont actually compress till you cook it, thats why some maps for example are 30 megs and when you cook there like 4 or 5.

epic maps im guessing are prob less cooked then user maps due to faster load times since everyone already has them when they install

Comment

If I edited torlan to my liking and added or minus a thing or two and I re-cook it why would there any yucky inedible stuff?

Comment

Whoa, whoa. What is all the cooked, recook stuff you are all throwing around? Am I missing something, you have to publish the map in some way, or what is it, cook it, before you stick it in the published folder to play?

Someone explain to me or give me a link explaining the concept of this cook/publish thing, and how to go about doing it.

Comment

Can a map/mod/file be cooked indefinetely?

Comment

Working...
                              X