Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

LadderVolume WallDir

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LadderVolume WallDir

I think i found a major bug. In UnrealEd, you can't set the WallDir of a LadderVolume, and in script, it sets the WallDir to the volume's rotation, which seems to be 0,0,0 no matter what I do in UnrealEd. Any ideas? If not, I'm making my own subclass that fixes this.

there's still ladder volumes???? :O

Comment

I was playing with ladder volumes and couldn't even get em to work Jbizzler. Did you?

Comment

Yes, they do work. Just place a ladder volume against a wall that's directly to the north (+X) of the volume. It doesn't work in any other direction. I haven't tried it against anything other than BSP, but it should work against static meshes with collision.

Comment

lol another missing feature

Comment

Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
            lol another missing feature
            Meh... I never used ladders in 2k4 and I will most likely not use ladders in UT3. Could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by frogspasm View Post
              Yes, they do work. Just place a ladder volume against a wall that's directly to the north (+X) of the volume. It doesn't work in any other direction. I haven't tried it against anything other than BSP, but it should work against static meshes with collision.
              Well, I tried for over an hour to get a ladder to work - with NO results. I followed every tutorial (2 I could find - SAD!!) and no luck with either if them. Does the ladder volume have to be a specific width/depth in order to work? - I didn't go thru every iteration of 16/32/24/48 . . . .etc . . .I did use 64X64 as this would encompass the entire ladder . . .does the volume need to accomodate the UT3 players body (ie; 96X96 for UT3 player and then the volume size??). I just cannot figure out what I may be doing wrong. . . also, if you do have a working ladder - can anyone place the how-to on how you did it and please include pics so I can see placement?? I have a great map I am working and I would much rather use ladders than Jump-pads (which supposedly don't work either - tried real quick and it didn't work, but I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on it as it should have been very easy (if like UT2K4)). Any way, thanks in advance for any help with this . . .

Comment

I too have been trying to get ladder volumes working but gave up in the end and decided to take a look at the code for them and came up with my own work around.
                I havn't tested it online nor have i tested the Auto Ladders but here are a couple of links to my version of the ladder volume if anyone needs it :

Mod Database.

It's crude but works for the purpose i need and it may be of help to somebody else.

Once installed the Volume shows up in Unreal Editor in the Add Volume options, Look for SW_LadderVolume.
                The Volumes WallDir can then be changed in Unreal Editor via the new Ladder Volumes properties under SW_Ladder > NewWallDirection.

Install/Usage instructions etc are in the ReadMe, Good Luck.

Edit: FileFront download link removed.

Comment

Here is the code i used, Comments by me :

Code:
                  class SW_LadderVolume extends LadderVolume placeable;

var(SW_Ladder) rotator NewWallDirection; 

// From Epics LadderVolume:
                  simulated event PostBeginPlay()
                  {
                  	local Ladder L, M;
                  	local vector Dir;

Super.PostBeginPlay();

//WallDir = Rotation;

// This is where NewWallDirection is passed to WallDir.
                               WallDir = NewWallDirection;

LookDir = vector(WallDir);
                  	if ( !bAutoPath && (LookDir.Z != 0) )
                  	 {
                  	   ClimbDir = vect(0,0,1);
                  	   for ( L=LadderList; L!=None; L=L.LadderList )
                  	   for ( M=LadderList; M!=None; M=M.LadderList )

if ( M != L )
                  	       {
                  	         Dir = Normal(M.Location - L.Location);
                  	         if ( (Dir dot ClimbDir) < 0 )
                  	         Dir *= -1;
                  	         ClimbDir += Dir;
                  	       }

ClimbDir = Normal(ClimbDir);
                  	      if ( (ClimbDir Dot vect(0,0,1)) < 0 )
                  	      ClimbDir *= -1;
                  	 }
                  }

defaultproperties
                  {
                  }

Comment

Thx for your work SteelerWolf !

Just a litle question :
                    If I use your ladder in a map I create, I need to put the .u with my others map files when I want to share it ? (I think the answer is "yes" but I want the confirmation )

Comment

Yes Sebastian you will have to send my package out with your map as far as i am aware ... their is probably a way to embed it in a map file but at the moment i'm just messing around with the editor trying to get used to it before i begin a map so i'll check out things like that later. Hopefully Epic will fix the Ladder Volumes at some point or somebody will figure out a much better way to do it than i have.

Comment

Ok, thx
                        I hope too Epic fix this stuff ... any many more...

Comment

Just a little update - I was reading a tutorial yesterday and their was a little note in their about "Cooking" Packages. According to the notes i was reading, When a map has been Cooked it seems that *.u files get Cooked into the package at the same time. If this is true you might not have to package my LadderVolume up separately in a zip file (like ut2004).
                          Maybe somebody with a little more mapping experience can elaborate on it a bit more ?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
                            Just a little update - I was reading a tutorial yesterday and their was a little note in their about "Cooking" Packages. According to the notes i was reading, When a map has been Cooked it seems that *.u files get Cooked into the package at the same time. If this is true you might not have package my LadderVolume up separately in a zip file (like ut2004).
                            Maybe somebody with a little more mapping experience can elaborate on it a bit more ?
                            I will take a look at this when I get home from work today - I will try a quick test map and cook to see if it works and I will post here the results (am way busy today but will give it my best shot - )

Comment

Thanks for that Demon

Comment

Working...
                              X