[Upcoming] Skeletal mesh (character) tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Upcoming] Skeletal mesh (character) tutorial

Hey everyone, I have a small question for you. I'm able to create a video tutorial on how to create a skeletal mesh (a mesh skinned to a skeleton / character for example) and get it into UT3 with animations by using Maya. Observe that this one won't cover how to make a custom playable character for UT3 but make a completely new one for mods, or just something that's moving in a level.

There's one little problem though, my verbal skills with English is like eating soup with a fork so I talk like I'm retarded and can't quite keep myself to the subject. (I just tried to make a dummy tutorial as a test)

The important question is here.... Would it be informative with a video tutorial that doesn't have sound, but rather had text on top of the video telling you what to do? Or maybe no text at all, just memorizing what I do? (this one is the fastest, shortest and will appear pretty quickly) Or do you want to listen to my really retarded way of talking?

Over and out

I'd be very happy with just a silent video. As long as we can see what you are doing it should be fine

Comment

A silent one would be fine, though if things need explaining it might be an idea to, rather than overlay text on the video which can be hard to follow, write a seperate text tutorial which explains what you did in the video and such. That way it would be the best of both worlds

Comment

just add subtitles, and it should be more than fine.
        besides, i dont think anyone will hate you for having a limited vocabulary, you can even subtitle yourself to be sure.

Comment

i'm looking forward to your tutorial. I prefer a voice explaining the steps but it's not neccassary if you add comments.

Comment

Thanks for your inputs guys (& girls? :P). I think I'll go with a silent version - if necessary I'll make some proper voice overs. I'm currently making a monster of sorts, just got past concept phase, so I'll see when I'll get to the tutorials. I'll keep you guys updated regarding the monster in a separate thread later when I have stuff to show.

Cheerios

Comment

Whatever you're comfortable with, though there's no reason you can't just record multiple times and cut together the best takes is there? If you're going with text I don't know that there is a lot that can be explained in video that couldn't be explained in a html tutorial.

Either way, I personally would rather see a tutorial on what to do after you have he meshes and materials in your package since the process before hasn't changed much and there are still viable tuts floating around, but I understand wanting to start from the beginning.

Comment

The ones who don't want to listen, can turn the sound off and thoes who do want to hear what you are saying just keep on listening. Adding some text here and there would make it perfect for both parties.

If you decide to do it with no audio, you must remember that the image quality and fps has to be much better so that the viewers can get a better idea of what buttons you are pressing and so on.

Comment

Try pausing the video at certain times and adding text boxes detailing what you're doing

Comment

Working...
                  X