• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
    Yes it is.... says so at the bottom of their page:

http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/why.aspx
    I think he meant there may be other 'hidden' costs to the installation of MTool.

Anyway back on topic : If you want 'accuracy' with how the textures are applied to your mesh/model then yes, you'll need to find someway to convert the images into a format that can be used in Blender. Otherwise you can do one of a couple of things, mock up an approximate version to use as a place holder or use a generic placeholder (usually just a grid), that way you will at least get the UVWmap layed out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by leilei View Post
    XSI Modtool isn't free
    Yes it is.... says so at the bottom of their page:

http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/why.aspx

Leave a comment:

• replied
    XSI Modtool isn't free

Sorry, I just don't believe the price of comprimising personal info is equal to free.

It's also not on linux

Linux users is one of UT3's target audiences you know

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thats why I'm trying out free modelers like Blender and XSI Modtool. I would try Maya PLE since the process for getting a mesh into UnrealEd is documented well using it. But the only version you can download from them (version 8.x) they don't make the ActorX plugin for it yet, and the version 7 plugin doesn't work with it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, if you want to outfit people with Legit copies of 3dS or Maya... I wouldn't mind. but $$$$ is kinda an issue

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kat View Post
    In theory the general process of modelling is the same regardless of the game.. where it changes is in the final prep and export of said mesh.
    Yes thats what I'm looking for. How to prep a mesh for export into UnrealEd and material/texture issues to keep in mind when going back and forth. If I use UT3 textures would they somehow have to be imported into the 3D modeling app to apply to the mesh or can that be done after the fact inside UnrealEd?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The .ase exported may have been an export script I added, and then forgot about:P
    I have NO luck at all with the COLLADA exporter scripts in Blender, I allways end up with a single bone, with all my own bone missing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by leilei View Post
    Has anyone successfully imported anything from Blender into UT3 yet?

I've heard Ued supports COLLADA importing, and Blender can import/export that, so I just want to know if any success was made
    Is that you Cheepy? Anyway, just did some reading up... YES the U3 *engine* does support collada so I would assume that means UT3 itself does. Theres a bullet point on the tools page that has the following
    Suport for COLLADA import path for meshes and animation.
    , that is *very good* news for Blender users!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnWheelModeller View Post
    There is a .psk exporter avaliable as well
    I never saw a single working one. PSK importing is also as vital (for stock rigging)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
    Would be nice to see some UT3 specific Blender tutorials.
    In theory the general process of modelling is the same regardless of the game.. where it changes is in the final prep and export of said mesh. I've been looking to get some tutorials up on that for UT but just haven't had the time (inclination I have a plenty), but keep an eye out as that's one thing I'm aiming to do in the next few months and into the new year.

Collada inclusion would be interesting as leilei asked as it's an animated format which ase's for games usually isn't.

@ UnWheelModeller : are you sure that's not ASC you've seen? As far as I know Blender has never had an ASE exporter/importer.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Version 2.43 of blender has a built in .ase exporter, for some other versions check here; http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tools_utilities.htm#ase . For some game related info check here; http://doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1755 . There is a .psk exporter avaliable as well, it worked for RoboBlitz, but UT3's vehicles have 1 Chunk and 1 Section, but the Blender .psk exports 5 Chunks and 5 Sections on sVehicles; I haven't used it for character models.
    Blender does have some limitations, but 99% of us who mod for a hobby cannot come close to exhausting it's capabilities:P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Or you could not use blender

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Would be nice to see some UT3 specific Blender tutorials.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Theirs an ASE export plugin available for Blender that allows static mesh export for UT:

http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tools_utilities.htm#ase

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Blender?

Blender?

Has anyone successfully imported anything from Blender into UT3 yet?

I've heard Ued supports COLLADA importing, and Blender can import/export that, so I just want to know if any success was made
Working...
X