Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert Static Mesh to Brush?

Hi,

Easy(?) Question: I'd like to know how to convert a staticmesh to a brush. Could someone please tell me how to do this?

Thank you for your help, Greetinx, *3dc*

you can't and you shouldn't even if you could

Comment

why?! So please tell: I have a 3d-model in .dxf-Format which i could import as a brush. Could, because UED crashes when trying to import the dxf.
      Now I converted the .dxf to .ase and was able to import it as StaticMesh. But I'm not able / dont know how to set materials for the single Elements (Faces) of the StaticMesh. So I'd like to convert it to a brush, then add that brush and then assign materials for the surfaces. Thats why im trying to convert it to a brush.

Someone can help me please!?
      Thank you and Greetz!

Comment

You can only convert to KActors or Movers now.

You will have to learn how to use a 3D application such as Maya PLE or Blender or something that lets you texture models for importing.

Comment

Maya PLE would be fine if Epic made a UT plugin for the currently available version. Autodesk only lets you download the most recent version of Maya PLE and the old UT plugin does not work with it

I'm hoping someone will make a good UT3 import/export script for the Blender modeling program, which is open source and free. Until then I'm just stuck with using only the static mesh's included with UT3 and can't do any non-UnrealEd modeling.

Comment

Locate a copy of Maya PLE 7 which has the exporter plugin. There are copies around. PM if you have no success.

Comment

Thanks, I will try looking around again for version 7 PLE. I was hoping the UDN ActorX pages would add a new plugin that works with PLE 8.5 by now but I guess that is wishfull thinking.

Comment

Nope. And Epic is leaving updates on this to other people. So unless someone else compiles a new version there will be no update (at least for a while until Epic may have the time to do it).
                I don't use either (Maya or the plugin) so I have no need to update/compile the new version here.

Comment

Well thank you for the info DGUnreal. I will figure out what to do in the coming weeks or just rebel and do all BSP like the old school days and UT3 static mesh's for decoration and trim. It kind of cuts out any non-professional who can't afford the full Maya, Max, or Lightwave for example. Its a shame they didn't have time or interest to include some sort of external modeler support in the UT3 CE extra DVD for the amateur level design community. I'm hoping some Blender folks will come up with a working UT3 script like they did for Doom engine games.

Comment

Epic has been swamped these past few years with Unreal Engine 3 development, Licensees, GoW on multiple platforms, UT3 on multiple platforms, people wanting Linux and Mac ports of the games, etc., so it is understandable that they have a lot going on and some things will be delayed.
                    Hopefully an updated PLE plugin will be coming soon. FYI, AFAIK Secret Level was doing the PLE updates for a while.

Comment

As was pointed out to me by Geodav in this post :

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...1#post25102633

The latest version of the XSI mod tool still works with ActorX
                      I too am hoping for a Maya PLE or Blender exporter (either would do) but in the meantime i'm getting to grips with the XSI mod tool and getting on fairly well with it. I've only tested it with UT2004 though at the mo so i cant say if all the export features work with UT3 until my copy drops through the letterbox.

Edit: I have a copy of the Maya 7 PLE exporter, UnEditor.mll, If anyone needs it just let me know.

Comment

Doesn't the XSI tool only work for 30 days as trialware? Also, any direct links out there for Maya 7 PLE download? Can't get anything other than 8 PLE from Autodesk.

Comment

You never want to make a static mesh as a brush. Make the static mesh and leave it as that.

Comment

XSI Mod tool has no time limit (as far as i can tell), The trial version of XSI however (if their is one) will have the 30 day trial limit but theirs no need to use it thanks to the Mod Tool.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
                              XSI Mod tool has no time limit (as far as i can tell), The trial version of XSI however (if their is one) will have the 30 day trial limit but theirs no need to use it thanks to the Mod Tool.
                              Oo I didnt know the tools was separate!
                              Thx

Comment

Working...
                              X