Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT3 Collector's Edition - Are the 10+ hrs of tutorial videos worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Collector's Edition - Are the 10+ hrs of tutorial videos worth it?

I was wondering if anyone has the Collector's Edition. Are the video tutorials worth the extra $10? That is the only extra that I am interested in from the Collector's edition.

Will those tutorial videos ever be available to download?

THX

While I can't answer whether or not the videos will eventually be available for download, I personally feel the videos are very well done. A little slow perhaps, but they do cover the editor in detail.

Comment

If you're planning on making Vehicles, Weapons, or Character models, none of them are covered in the Tutorials. That right there profoundly disappointed me. I forked out the extra $10 in hopes that at least one of those was covered, but nope.

For my purposes - aside from the Particle and Materials tuts - the tutorials are essentially useless... Instead of having a starting point to give you an insight into how the process has changed, now it's time to resort to trial and error.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the process hasn't changed that much since UT2004 overall, but there have been some definite changes. They did do a Tut set on Kismet for those interested in level design. However, plenty of other things have changed outside of that scope. For instance, vehicle damage and "morphing" meshes... how do they work?

Comment

From what I remember, 3Dbuzz's approach to the order of creating videos has been to first start with the basics and then move on to the advanced.

They are mastering the new editor themselves as well you know...

I'm taking a stab in the dark by saying they maybe well in the middle of creating advanced modeling tutorials, and then perhaps after that, they'll create a series of coding tutorials...

Comment

Thanks all for responding.

I am going to assume that the videos are basic and that I will probably learn nothing more than by trial and error.

I am going to also assume that 3Dbuzz will post tutorial videos the same way they did with the previous UnrealED and by that time they will probably have more experience.

So I'll just stick with $49 UT3 flavor.

THX

Comment

10 x 2 hours of tutorials

20 hours of tutorials actually. And I just got through the first 5. The level that you make following the first few tutorials is pretty cool actually 8 ).

Comment

Over on the 3d buzz forums Buzz made a post basically saying they wouldn't be re-doing a lot of the video stuff already done for UT2K4 for UT3 because a good lot of it is still relevant with the new engine/game.

Comment

Extremely. I've tried to learn UnrealEd on my own but could never do it properly. I just finished creating a entire map with the tutorials and I can start making basic ones on my own. I'm only about an hour and a half into the tutorials with 18 1/2 hours to go.

Comment

The Tutorials Don't Cover:
                  Terrain
                  Weapons
                  Mods
                  UnrealScript

The Tutorials Do Cover:
                  UnrealEd interface
                  Material Editor
                  Particles Editor
                  Matinee
                  Kismet

That is about it. I was rather disappointed, too. Its all level design really - nothing on Mod-Making, mutators, etc.

Comment

i just watched about 2 hours and im going to say they do a very nice job on it. i do think the first guy gets annoyed of the other at one point but meh.

Comment

its worth the extra cash even if they've left out the really important stuff Vehicle/characters/weapons. btw i don't there will any other legal way of getting the videos so if you want them you'll have to pay. the same thing happened with the UT2004 SE

Comment

i will be buying the SE edition tomorow also for the tutorials, although i have closing on 9 yrs exp with Unreal and work with it daily, you can never know too much about a tool if your planning on using it to its full extent, im sure theres things in there that will be new to me, and would hihgly recommend anyone whos thinking of getting into modding (level design or not) to watch them and learn as much as possible about the editor

Comment

so far in the first tutorial involving meshes I've noticed lack of 2 meshes in my packages that are in the tutorials. As to the cause of this, I'm guessing somethings are just left out in the full production copy. I do wish that 3Dbuzz would have noticed when they made the tuts but it won't really affect the use of the videos.

Comment

Working...
                          X