GoW editor same as UT3 Ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoW editor same as UT3 Ed?

I cant use the GoW editor because it crashes all the time. I know why though, seem it needs a lot of memory. 2 gigs is not enough? Its only using about a gig and I cant even move the mouse when it loads up because it will crash.

Am I going to have to add more memory or is UT3 editor a little bit more optimized?

I've been using various builds of the UE3 editor for almost two years on a system with 2GB with no issues at all.

Are you trying to run a bunch of other large apps at the same time, such as PhotoShop, Max/Maya, etc.? Do you have any apps set to reserve a large amount of your free RAM? How large is your virtual/swap file (should be initial = 1.5x physical, max = 2x physical).

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
      I've been using various builds of the UE3 editor for almost two years on a system with 2GB with no issues at all.

Are you trying to run a bunch of other large apps at the same time, such as PhotoShop, Max/Maya, etc.? Do you have any apps set to reserve a large amount of your free RAM? How large is your virtual/swap file (should be initial = 1.5x physical, max = 2x physical).
      Not sure where to check the last part of your post but the most memory intensive program I run (when using the editor) is IE at 30 megs.

Comment

What OS are you using?

For XP go to My Computer, right-click and choose Properties.
        On the Properties dialog, choose the Advanced tab, click on the Performance area Settings button.
        On the Performance Options dialog, choose the Advanced tab, in the Virtual Memory area click on the Change button.

You can choose to have the "System managed size" but that is not always the best route. If that is selected, you can leave it there, or optionally try a manual setting to see if that fixes your crash problems.
        If you have two physical hard drives (not just two partitions on one physical drive which are also common setups), you should have the paging file on the second physical drive (the one that the OS is not installed onto) or optionally have a paging file on both physical drives.
        For "Custom size" settings it should be as I mentioned. So if you have 2GB of physical ram, you want Initial set to 3072 and Maximum set to 4096.
        If you change the settings in the text boxes, be sure to click on the Set button to apply the change. A reboot will be required when you OK out of the dialogs.

If you are running any other power-hungry software, like anti-virus software, that could be causing issues on your system also.

Comment

What OS are you using?

For XP go to My Computer, right-click and choose Properties.
          On the Properties dialog, choose the Advanced tab, click on the Performance area Settings button.
          On the Performance Options dialog, choose the Advanced tab, in the Virtual Memory area click on the Change button.

You can choose to have the "System managed size" but that is not always the best route. If that is selected, you can leave it there, or optionally try a manual setting to see if that fixes your crash problems.
          If you have two physical hard drives (not just two partitions on one physical drive which are also common setups), you should have the paging file on the second physical drive (the one that the OS is not installed onto) or optionally have a paging file on both physical drives.
          For "Custom size" settings it should be as I mentioned. So if you have 2GB of physical ram, you want Initial set to 3072 and Maximum set to 4096.
          If you change the settings in the text boxes, be sure to click on the Set button to apply the change. A reboot will be required when you OK out of the dialogs.

If you are running any other power-hungry software, like anti-virus software, that could be causing issues on your system also.
          Didnt fix it. Program cant even hold 5 seconds before crashing.

Comment

Sounds like your issue might be something else then such as video driver etc.
            I assume that GoW and UT3BetaDemo play ok on your system?

What are you running for hardware and software and drivers?

Comment

Sounds like your issue might be something else then such as video driver etc.
              I assume that GoW and UT3BetaDemo play ok on your system?

What are you running for hardware and software and drivers?
              Oh both games play perfect. No problems what so ever (knock wood ).

AMD Athlon 4200+
              2900XT in Crossfire.
              2 gigs of RAM (4x 512)

Win XP with SP2 and 7.10 (latest) driver for vid cards.

Comment

DGUnreal, it's not so hard. The GoW's editor feels unoptimized on a Q6600 With 2 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 RAM. A lot of people complained on GoW forums about the Editor being really buggy. I can also confirm this since this is the system I have.

Cenobite, Yes, from what I've heard from people who used it, they said the GoW editor feels really beta compared to what UT3's has to provide. I'm not sure if you heard about U2 but it had an editor as well, and when I think about again it just happen that I'm living the same feeling I had 3 years ago with U2ED now for GoWED Which is really bad. Even though Epic Games were not the developers of U2.

It's not the community - it's the tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                  DGUnreal, it's not so hard. The GoW's editor feels unoptimized on a Q6600 With 2 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 RAM. A lot of people complained on GoW forums about the Editor being really buggy. I can also confirm this since this is the system I have.

Cenobite, Yes, from what I've heard from people who used it, they said the GoW editor feels really beta compared to what UT3's has to provide. I'm not sure if you heard about U2 but it had an editor as well, and when I think about again it just happen that I'm living the same feeling I had 3 years ago with U2ED now for GoWED Which is really bad. Even though Epic Games were not the developers of U2.

It's not the community - it's the tools.
                  Umm....well good, I think. Gives me hope that I can start fiddling with it once the game comes out instead of going shopping for computer parts again.

Comment

as a last resort have you tried un+re(installing)?

you might have something corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                      both games play perfect.
                      AMD Athlon 4200+ ...
                      Nothing seems out of the ordinary here...
                      Is it dumping anything into the Logs folder after a crash that may be relevant?
                      I haven't had to look into this issue so I am unaware of what logs it may save.

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                      DGUnreal, it's not so hard. The GoW's editor feels unoptimized ...
                      The editor and engine require more horsepower than previous versions, so a higher end system is definitely required. Since it is WYSIWYG you are basically working in the editor at max settings, so expect the editor to be slower than in-game.
                      I have heard of people having issues with the GoW editor, however, I have not had any problems with even older editor versions than that. I would expect to see patches showing up soon for those with definite issues since it is getting a good test on a wider hardware base now.

Comment

Mine seems stable, but that's only because I haven't started anything yet.
                        CPU shoots up to 99% from start up, and stays there with both editors (UT3 & GOW)

It's disappointing that only the extreme high end or "lucky-odd-few" computers can run the editors.

I figure that the CPU has to be a dual-core 3.0 or a quad core for anything to work. (looking into the AMD X2 6000+)
                        -sigh-

AMD X2 4200+
                        2 GB Corsair DDR2 800
                        GeForce 8600 GT OC

-Fully optimized
                        -UT3, GOW, Bioshock, Crysis run great on high settings.
                        -Roboblitz Editor worked fine without crashing and high CPU usage.

Comment

regarding the first post, questioning ram for the crash

my work machine has 1 gig and runs UE3 fine (home machine with 4(including both cards) runs it even better though :P)

so its not that,

although SOME _P levels do crash the editor, if thats why, opena fresh one and port in the other levels manually

Comment

try with just one video card and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS View Post
                              try with just one video card and see what happens
                              Seems to work. Clicked on bunch of things in the editor and it didnt crash. Loaded up editor several times to test it too. Interesting.

Wonder why that is. Hopefully UT3 Ed isnt like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X