This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here's my problem.

I found some great SMeshes in UN_Cave.upk and UN_Rock.upk. Almost is great, but... I want to edit this Meshes and turn on per-poly collision. When I make it, editor crashes and I have to delete UN_Cave and UN_Rock from Unpublished folder. So... What can I do to duplicate this packages and use it in my map?

Comment

Easiest methods I know of:
      Copying materials - you can copy-paste inside the material editor - very quick and easy.
      Copying textures - Screenshot on 100%, save as a new pic and reimport.
      Copying meshes - Not tried that yet. Might be nice to get them into 3dsmax.
      Copying Particle systems - Impossible? Last time I did it entirely by eye copying each settings.
      Tried export/import which doesn't appear to work for particle systems. No copy/paste function.

Comment

Has ANYONE figured out how to export textures yet?

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyD View Post
          Easiest methods I know of:
          Copying materials - you can copy-paste inside the material editor - very quick and easy.
          Copying textures - Screenshot on 100%, save as a new pic and reimport.
          Copying meshes - Not tried that yet. Might be nice to get them into 3dsmax.
          Copying Particle systems - Impossible? Last time I did it entirely by eye copying each settings.
          Tried export/import which doesn't appear to work for particle systems. No copy/paste function.
          I discovered another (much easier) way to copy particle systems and materials - if you follow the original steps (load all, obj savepackage yadda yadda), it also enables the 'Duplicate' option. This can be used to send a copy of the material or particle system to your package directly. This very well may also work with Textures, Static Meshes, and other types that have been difficult to maneuver any other way since it recreates the name and other directory information.

EDIT: This doesn't seem to work with textures - it causes the editor to crash.

Comment

Training Videos

I was following along with the Training Videos, and at one point they simply right click on a material and duplicate it to make a new material. I spend about 2 hours and 13 UnrealEd crashes to try and do that, after which I gave up and went to bed.

Did they save out all their packages in the tutorials? They never make any mention of having to do so.

Comment

Bibto - In order for them to be able to release the videos with the game they had the development version of the editor that wasn't cooked yet. Which means duplicate wasn't a problem. Follow the steps here to be able to duplicate textures etc... and you'll be fine.

Now for my question. I want to be able to change the red paint on a stock epic mesh/material to blue. I've duplicated the texture, and material into my own package. But when I try to export the texture to TGA it doesn't create a file. same with BMP and PCX. I'm using the 1.2 patch, any ideas?

Comment

I actually think what Bibto is referring to is the Alt-RMB, then let go of alt. then put your mouse over the wall you want to put the material on and press Alt-LMB. They covered that in the 2k4 videos.

Comment

DarkMantle - It doesn't seem to be possible to export textures but with all the operations available inside materials you can usually find some sort of trick to make changes such as red -> blue. But it really depends on the individual material... which one is causing the problems?

Comment

I have had issues with this as well. I found that you can duplicate everything as said, though I have been going about it in a different manner with the same end result. For the textures it doesnt seem possible to export them yet.

I have found however that if you set the texture to either 100% or 1024x1024 ( if the texture is 2048x2048) and maximize the generic browser you can do a screen print and paste it into photoshop. There are a couple key things to make sure of though. when you do the screenprint make sure the texture is selected in the browser. Eg. is has the green highlight around it, you will need that to crop it properly. If you have 1600x1200 resolution just open a new image in photoshop, it will automagically size its image to your desktop, cntrl + v and paste in your texture. If you do not have 1600x1200 resolution you will need to do it twice to get the full texture. From bringing it into photoshop crop it to the green borders at a high magnification say 500 % or so. If you had to do two screenprints then do it to both of them. Also if you had to do two then make a new image at 1024x1024 and make sure snap is turned on. snap the top to the top and vice versa, merge layers and walla. This may seem a bit odd method wise but as long as you crop things properly it works great. I have skinned a whole weapons kit in this manner and nothing is scewwed in any way

The editor imports textures fine as long as they as in multiples of 2 as in the past versions.

Comment

Copying particle systems;

Open the particle system you want.
                      Now goto to your map package and create a new particle system. Give it a name. With both the original and the new open, side by side on screen, right click on the effect setting and click export. Now click in the grey area on your new particle system and the effect should be duplicated into it!
                      Next just manually duplicate the overall settings for the emitter (not the individual emitter components).
                      See pic below for what I mean!
                      Tested with two emitters with no problems!

Hope I save yaz a lotta time!

Comment

Originally posted by Mythgarr View Post
                        I discovered another (much easier) way to copy particle systems and materials - if you follow the original steps (load all, obj savepackage yadda yadda), it also enables the 'Duplicate' option. This can be used to send a copy of the material or particle system to your package directly. This very well may also work with Textures, Static Meshes, and other types that have been difficult to maneuver any other way since it recreates the name and other directory information.

EDIT: This doesn't seem to work with textures - it causes the editor to crash.
                        could you explain this, a bit more. i dont understand what do you mean

Comment

For anyone still trying to duplicate textures,

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Comment

Excellent program. I only have one problem with it - the textures it exports are only 1/4 the resolution of the originals. When I re-import them, they look blurry because of my graphics settings. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainSnarf View Post
                              For anyone still trying to duplicate textures,

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm
                              I don't get how to use this?

Comment

I think I figured out why the textures only export at 25% resolution - my graphics settings are turned down. My computer can't handle UT3 on its highest settings, so I tuned down the textrue detail quite a bit. I'll see what happens when I turn it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X