Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[Advanced] Copying Epic content into other packages

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Advanced] Copying Epic content into other packages

As you might have noticed, the editor doesn't allow duplicating content in cooked packages (as all of Epic's content is). This is because some of the source data has been repackaged or stripped out and performing these operations on some objects is unsafe. However, if you really want to try to copy that particle system or material so you can derive your own from it, there is something you can try.

NOTE: The editor doesn't normally allow this for a *reason*. Some object types won't work when you duplicate them this way, and you could crash the editor or corrupt data. Back up your mod packages before trying this or copy things into a new package until you're sure it works.

1. Open the log window. View -> Browser -> Log.
    2. In the log console at the bottom, type:
    Code:
    obj savepackage file=[filename] package=[package_to_save]
    the [package_to_save] is the name of the package you want to duplicate things out of, as seen in the Generic Browser. [filename] can be whatever you want - it won't be a valid file anyway and you should delete it when you're done. The purpose of saving is just to clear some things up that will allow duplication of most content to work.

3. Now, look at the package in the Generic Browser. All of the right click options (Duplicate, etc) should now be available. Duplicate the things you want into another package.

In general, objects that don't actually contain any mesh, texture, or sound data of their own will copy fine (Particle systems, materials, etc) while those that do won't save or load correctly. There really isn't any reason to duplicate those "base" types anyway.

was talking to someone about this in IRC, good to know its possible
    thanks for the post ^^

Chris

Comment

So is it possible to change the UI_Crosshair thing using this?

Comment

Thanks for this information .

Comment

isnt' working wheni try to save ASC_walls or whatever..

Comment

Why not? Does some message like "filename missing" appear? If yes, you have to remove the brackets (filename, package).

Comment

heres an exsample
              Because that post is very vague

Word of advice to noobs
              goto
              C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC
              right click on the folder characters goto properties and make it read only.
              This way you dont shoot yourself in the face as you experiment with the workflow

Load CH_IronGuard_Male.upk in generic browser
              its located in the directory of
              C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Characters

goto log window type this (last tab in generic browser)
              obj savepackage package="CH_IronGuard_Male" file="CH_IronGuard_Male.upk"
              when you go back to your CH_IronGuard_Male.upk in generic Browser you can right click on textures and export them as tga

After your done
              goto this directory and look for the dump file called CH_IronGuard_Male.upk
              C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries
              and delete it
              if you dont it will cause some issues later

Walla

Enjoy

also works for another game I wont mention that starts with the letter G

Comment

OK, I have the option to export as .TGA .BMP or .PCX but the material is not saved!
                It's very frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by gotthard View Post
                  OK, I have the option to export as .TGA .BMP or .PCX but the material is not saved!
                  It's very frustrating!

Anything that requires a complex order will not export very well
                  Textures work good
                  Everything else sucks

but if the material node is not that bad you could rebuild it

Comment

I tried this with the sniper rifle and it didn't work. I got errors in the log window saying that the package wasn't fully loaded??

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by {SAP}THEEDGE View Post
                      I tried this with the sniper rifle and it didn't work. I got errors in the log window saying that the package wasn't fully loaded??

What am I doing wrong?
                      Generic Browser -> Package List -> right click -> "Fully Load"
                      ...and now use "obj savepackage"

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                        (Duplicate, etc) should now be available. Duplicate the things you want into another package.
                        This sounds like a nifty trick you guys figured out, but just out of curiosity what is the advantage of duplicating assets to a alternate package

Comment

I hope it means you can use the maps that are in the game for mod 's (is that posible in unreal )

Comment

Originally posted by CrysAk View Post
                            was talking to someone about this in IRC
                            Is there an IRC channel for ue3 modding?

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder if this is the problem I have had. I wanted to make WAR-MarketDistrict in to a VCTF map. So, I copied, renamed, modified, rebuild all (at this point everything in the maps looks 'tutti frutti', not what I expected.). Cooked the map, and loaded it up. Here was the strange thing, alot of the meshes seemed to be missing textures, until you get real close to the mesh and then the texture 'clicks' in. As you can imagine it looks pretty crappy with all the textures poping in and out.

My questions are these;
                              What does cooking do to prevent this from working?
                              Does this mean we can no longer copy and paste actors from 'cooked' maps?
                              Does this effect placing actors from an Epic .pkg?

Lovin every minute of it!
                              Tranz

Comment

Working...
                              X