Exporters ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporters ?

This has (maybe) been asked a few times but i have seen no official comment on it yet (except that ut3 wont ship with maya this time), but was just wondering if their has been any news anywhere yet regarding the release of exporters for free 3d modelling apps like maya PLE or the XSI mod tool or maybe even ( and it's a big maybe) for Blender? I love messing around trying to get my poor attempts at weapons working in Unreal and will be truly disapointed if my crappy efforts wont be able to make their way into UT3 as (like many others) i cant afford to go out and buy Max or Maya.

Anyway enough of my rambling ... heres hoping for the exporters and especially the Blender one ("Never" i hear you cry?).

I read somewhere sometime ago that Unreal3 supports .ASE which is fairly simple file format (plain text). And as far as I know, Maya should have exporters for ASE.

I have no info on the actual procedure of getting the meshes out of maya to be covered in blood in game though.

Comment

UnrealEd supports .ase format.
      So if you have Maya PLE with the plugin you can use that.

Comment

Thanx for the feedback folks and good news their on the ASE support for PLE, But i was actually hoping they would release a new set of plugins to allow the export of animations. I once downloaded Maya 7 PLE which had an exporter available and when i installed the exporter Maya then actually showed a UT3 character on it's splashscreen but the exporter was no good for exporting animations to UT2k4 ( maybe because the exporter was set up for UT3? ) so i uninstalled it and went back to maya 5 PLE and Blender.

Don't get me wrong, Theirs not some huge uber mod at danger here, I just mess around with modelling and scripting ( copy and paste rules!), I just wanna get my Tommygun working in UT3 and learn a bit more in the process.

Comment

you need to download actorx and install the plugin, it will export as psk files if i remember correctly. Basicly static mesh's

Comment

ActorX unfortunately doesnt work with Maya PLE

Comment

When using ActorX the axmesh command exports .ase-files. (static meshes) When using the command axmain you can export .psk (mesh and skeletal ref pose) and .psa (animation sequences).

Comment

you can use the actorx exporter from xsi modtool 4.2 with the xsi modtool 6, also from what i've heard if your app supports the collada exporter then UE3 supports collada import. more rumours is that the actorx for max 9 should work with max 2008

Comment

Thanx for that geodav, Soon as i get home tonight i'll download XSI and give it a whirl. I have tried XSI before and never really got into it but it's worth a shot .. thanks again

Comment

Well, Got XSI downloaded, Installed the plugin (addon) and bingo, Worked first time, Now to learn how to use this thing and try to export something.
                    Thanx again geodav

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
                      Well, Got XSI downloaded, Installed the plugin (addon) and bingo, Worked first time, Now to learn how to use this thing and try to export something.
                      Thanx again geodav
                      I downloaded XSI Mod Tools but I can't find the plugin anywhere.
                      A link would be handy, thanks.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response, anyways here is the link for XSI ActorX :

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html

Their are installation instructions on that page too, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
                          Sorry for the delayed response, anyways here is the link for XSI ActorX :

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html

Their are installation instructions on that page too, good luck
                          Thanks for posting the link.
                          Unfortunately I've run into another problem. XSI seems to export the .ASE mesh format with only one material. Since .ASE is simply a text format, I've tried editing it with my somewhat limited scripting knowledge to add more materials to no avail. Am I missing something here or is .ASE completely limited to one material? I've wasted an entire day pulling my hair out over this one.

Comment

if ase-export isn't enough isn't enough then try the collada exporter it's good for 64k polys

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                              if ase-export isn't enough isn't enough then try the collada exporter it's good for 64k polys
                              I'm unfamiliar with collada. Is it a standalone app or a plugin?
                              I already have to convert more than I'd like to:

Milkshape > .xsi < XSI SoftImage > .ase < uED
                              Milkshape > 3ds/ms3d < Biturn > .ase < uED

Comment

Working...
                              X