Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

foxMod v0.8 - Improved AI, widescreen support, 4-player splitscreen, gamepad support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foxMod v0.8 - Improved AI, widescreen support, 4-player splitscreen, gamepad support

Greetings everyone! I'm proud to present foxMod, a small pet project for Unreal Tournament 3 that aims to improve the game's AI while also adding hor+ FOV widescreen support and 4-player splitscreen support with enhanced gamepad control. Play UT on the couch with your friends!

General Additions:
    • Hor+ FOV support - automatically scales FOV based off aspect ratio and "Desired FOV" setting, with server-configurable FOV clamps
    • First-person weapons rendered correctly for wider aspect ratios
    • New menu options for most new features within reorganized options menu
    • Fixed crash when picking up dropped weapons as a network client
    • Campaign mutator support
    • Team-colored death messages for all modes

Control Improvements:
    • Vertical and horizontal mouse speeds matched (vertical mouse movement is no longer slower)
    • Players can now cancel an engaged Scorpion boost by pulling back on the throttle
    • Translocator can now switch to previous weapon by pressing fire while holding alternate fire, and vice versa (like UT'99 / 2kX)
    • Working look-to-steer controls and associated "Vehicle Controls" option, rewritten to account for movement stick/keys heading
    • Adjustable controller deadzone
    • Additional bindable controls

Audio Improvements:
    • Fixed issues where certain sounds would play twice (translocation, weapon-switching, etc.), particularly for network clients (jumping, landing, etc.)
    • Music now correctly plays for network clients and features configurable action/tension music times
    • Music tracks are now always played under the "Music" audio group and guaranteed to loop (fixes issues with certain custom music in custom maps)
    • Fixed non-looping action music in DM-Deck (and any map that uses GoDown as music)
    • New voice messages for most vanilla characters
    • Subtle pitch randomization for voice messages
    • Ensure all voice messages of a particular category (taunts, status updates, etc.) have been played before allowing them to be reused
    • New SendSpeech console command for broadcasting specific voice clips, optionally to team only

Splitscreen Support:
    • Drop-in / drop-out splitscreen support via "Splitscreen Players" menu slider - dynamically select number of splitscreen players from 0 to 3
    • Local profile system for splitscreen players to automatically save/load their settings
    • Proper settings configuration - settings such as A/V and Network settings can only be set by first player
    • Fully functional splitscreen audio - including music, dialogue and announcement support
    • Proper voting support - local players all mirror each other's votes
    • Automatic guest-style player renaming - "fox", "fox(2)", "fox(3)" instead of "Player258"

Enhanced Gamepad Support:
    • Tighter looking and aiming controls, with adjustable quick-turn sensitivity
    • Optional "Fine Aiming" bindable control to shrink the crosshair and set finer aim sensitivity (not bound by default)
    • Subtle auto-aim and control tweaks for inputs received from a gamepad - gamepads can be used in tandem with a keyboard/mouse - features toggle as appropriate
    • Revamped default control setup
    • Analog stick quick-configuration - southpaw, legacy, etc.
    • Fully remappable gamepad controls - some were mysteriously missing

AI Improvements:
    • Anti-stuck measures for bots, fixing issues such as getting stuck in DM-Turbine
    • Better follow behavior - bots utilize Link Gun properly when following and break off for combat/items when appropriate (within range and line-of-sight to leader)
    • Reliably engage targets (enemies and objectives) when flying through the air (e.g. from jump pads etc.)
    • Attack any visible part of objects (helps tremendously on attacking Power Nodes / Cores - AI can now complete Confrontation with the Leviathan)
    • Keep charging weapons charged as long as possible when target can not be attacked (shot blocked etc.)
    • Avoidance Mapping system that allows bots to choose potentially longer, but safer paths when running an objective (potentially expensive)
    • Better use of level geometry as cover during fights
    • Crouch more often, particularly if it allows hitting a target that could not otherwise be hit
    • Avoid lifts if they have already been used and would need to wait
    • Greater avoidance of areas where deaths have occurred that match
    • Allow use of hunting and "devious" behavior in team games and when large numbers of bots are present
    • Organize larger squads for better coordination (by default, one squad per order)
    • Randomly assigned initial orders; influenced by other bots' orders and whether team is lead by a player
    • Extended vehicle pathfinding; AI will now attempt to drive vehicles anywhere they'll fit
    • Improved vehicle usage all-around, particularly in combat
    • Intelligently use any vehicle of opportunity (based on current vehicle if appropriate), not just squad vehicles
    • Prefer enemy unlocked vehicles to help tip vehicle usage in their team's favor
    • Prefer certain vehicle types according to effectiveness - generally prefer flying vehicles, fast vehicles for objective capping, artillery, etc.
    • Move in position to tow the flag carrier when appropriate and in a fast vehicle - Scorpion, Manta, etc.
    • Try harder to get a vehicle unstuck before simply abandoning it
    • Remain in vehicles if near an objective and someone else nearby is on foot (to help cover them)
    • Get out of stationary vehicles for pending Titan transformation
    • More intelligent use of Hoverboards and tow cables, particularly in Warfare
    • Don't randomly engage Scorpion self-destruct and use jumping ability of vehicles more often (Manta, Viper, Scavenger, etc.)
    • Attack empty locked enemy vehicles to thin out base defenses
    • Honk horn when looking for passengers
    • Attempt to fetch passengers when flying an air vehicle and not in combat - optimal Cicada usage for starters
    • Attempt to get out and heal vehicles when not busy
    • Attempt to toss flags and weapons when appropriate - will toss flags to stronger teammates closer to base, weapons to very weak teammates
    • Prefer to grab the enemy flag when attacking even if the friendly flag is taken (more realistic)
    • Improved Translocator usage (don't sit still when waiting for Translocator discs)
    • Improved jumping out of water behavior
    • Improved Orb handling
    • Improved Warfare teleporter usage
    • Keep a Hold Position order after respawning
    • Taunt and give praise on cool actions (flag captures, multi-kills, sprees, etc.)
    • Improved shootable door behavior (like on Turbine) - use Enforcer or other weapon guaranteed to open door if possible
    • Use Impact Hammer on invulnerable or heavily shielded enemies to knock their powerups off if appropriate
    • Necris and Krall bots no longer randomly spout human speech - particularly incoming vehicles
    • Krall bots now speak subtle grunts over the comms (bored, in combat, etc.) instead of RAWR all the time

Interested? Check it out here!
    Latest Release: v0.8 (01/25/14)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rd830uhbel...foxMod-v08.exe - Installer
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uv9f22fexytwpu1/foxMod-v08.7z - Manual Zip (see Install Instructions.txt)
    Both downloads, as well as additional images and videos, can be found over on ModDB.

Special thanks to M0tah for writing the installer, testing and valuable feedback: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=138887040

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!
    ~fox

Holy ****, this came out of nowhere! That's a ton of stuff for UT3 in 2013 - good to see. I'm not that interested in the splitscreen and gamepad support but I will definitely be checking it out for the bot improvements! Also, I'm using FreeFOV on my server now but I like your FOV clamp on server side. Thanks dude!

Comment

Forgot to mention this probably should be in the beta section since you're at v0.7.

Comment

I haven't looked into the files extensively, but if I only want to use the Ai mod, which ones should I install?
        And will I need to delete the UTGame.ini and UTInput.ini files or is this only required for new controls and splitscreen?

This really looks like a great addition to UT3, but as far as I'm concerned, I only need the new Ai

Comment

Wow, comments already! The AI portion of the mod is independent of the others, so you can safely install just that - download the manual zip and extract only the following:
          • Config\UTMutator_foxAI.ini
          • Published\CookedPC\Script\foxMod_AI.u
          • Published\CookedPC\Script\foxMod_AI_CBP.u (if you'd like to use foxAI on CBP3 Domination modes)

I'll make it an installer option to split the two next time around for those that just want to use one or the other.

Also, be sure to set bExtendedVoices to false under Config\UTMutator_foxAI.ini if you don't want any of the voice changes (mainly fixes to bot speech as mentioned per the AI section - however this also adds additional taunts etc. which will affect players as well)

Enjoy!

Comment

UT3 still has some minor activity. Mods like yours are one of the reasons to this

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I think a quality Ai mod would do well in a stand-alone version.

Comment

=foxUnit01;31650645]Wow, comments already! The AI portion of the mod is independent of the others, so you can safely install just that - download the manual zip and extract only the following:
              • Config\UTMutator_foxAI.ini
              • Published\CookedPC\Script\foxMod_AI.u
              • Published\CookedPC\Script\foxMod_AI_CBP.u (if you'd like to use foxAI on CBP3 Domination modes)

I'll make it an installer option to split the two next time around for those that just want to use one or the other.
              Yeah I think having the installer for just the AI and the fixes would be nice. The splitscreen and gamepad stuff probably won't see a ton of use IMO although it looks like you did a great job with that.

Also, be sure to set bExtendedVoices to false under Config\UTMutator_foxAI.ini if you don't want any of the voice changes (mainly fixes to bot speech as mentioned per the AI section - however this also adds additional taunts etc. which will affect players as well)
              Are you saying you are able to access additional taunts? I always felt like the random ones didn't use all available taunts. That would be cool if I could hear more varied taunts. I still can't believe there is no speech binder in this game. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                Are you saying you are able to access additional taunts? I always felt like the random ones didn't use all available taunts. That would be cool if I could hear more varied taunts. I still can't believe there is no speech binder in this game. What a shame.
                There was a little bit of unused taunt audio, depending on character. I added those, as well as select campaign and cutscene voice clips, to the taunt list as I felt appropriate. I figured it added a little flavor.

Also, the default taunt speech options mapped specific taunts to each category ("hip thrust" used a few select taunts, "throat cut" used a few other select taunts, etc.) - for now, I just lazily set it to use a random taunt from the list. I'll probably go back and assign them all properly at some point.

Also, a proper speech binder - at least via console - might actually be feasible. I'll write back on that.

Comment

Originally posted by foxUnit01 View Post

Also, a proper speech binder - at least via console - might actually be feasible. I'll write back on that.
                  Oh man you would be my hero if you could figure out how to do that. Ideally, a graphical interface (via mutator) would be sweet. Funny, I remember posting right after the game came out. Soooo many people chimed in but Epic did nothing. That old thread is HERE just for yuks.

Comment

Heh, in that case, sorry I'm a few years too late.

I'll be sitting down Sunday to address a few issues that snuck in before release, as well as an option to install only the AI or Splitscreen/Gamepad portions of the mod. I'm going to keep them packaged as one installer, as the whole thing is less than a megabyte (so there's no point in two separate downloads). I'll see what I can do for voice binding - at very least via console - but no guarantees I'll get anything working there just yet. :P

Stay tuned!

Comment

Originally posted by foxUnit01 View Post
                      Heh, in that case, sorry I'm a few years too late.

I'll be sitting down Sunday to address a few issues that snuck in before release, as well as an option to install only the AI or Splitscreen/Gamepad portions of the mod. I'm going to keep them packaged as one installer, as the whole thing is less than a megabyte (so there's no point in two separate downloads). I'll see what I can do for voice binding - at very least via console - but no guarantees I'll get anything working there just yet. :P

Stay tuned!
                      No worries. Thanks for checking into it.

Comment

Wow, that's amazing how your Ai mod fixes the jump-pad issue on a map like Rankin 2010 (and many other ones)... Those stupid bots were ruining my games but now it has gone!

About the Warfare mode though, there are both very positive and few negative aspects. On some maps, the bots play too defensive, regardless of what orders I may give them. But I'm playing with fully customized bots, so perhaps I'm not the best personn to report issues on such a mod.

Comment

The default AI will target players over other bots, could that be changed with this mutator?

Comment

Hey all, thought I'd mirror a post I just made over on the Steam forums:
                            Originally posted by fox
                            Apologies! I've been wrapped up in other work since then and haven't had much time for the mod. I do still plan on releasing updates as time permits, and there's a few things I'd like to finish before the next one. Currently, the following has been done and is on track for release:
                            • Shuffled some new taunts around and fixed the issue where taunts would play no matter what voice command you picked (broke in v0.7 - whoops!)
                            • AI correctly pick a different vehicle if someone else is already heading towards one (was disabled in v0.7 due to issues, now fixed - this helps AI get in all of the vehicles at once at the start of a round etc.)
                            • AI now make sure healing weapons have ammo when determining if they can heal vehicles
                            • AI now remain in their vehicles if near an objective and someone else nearby is on foot (to help cover them)
                            • AI no longer track invisible enemies as reliably
                            • Improved AI anti-stuck check on vehicles (don't trigger anti-stuck on a tank that's turning in place, for example, unless it's actually stuck and can't turn)
                            • Longer distance check for vehicles when following player
                            • AI no longer wait 8 seconds at the start of a Warfare round to grab the Orb
                            • AI now largely prefer enemy unlocked vehicles to help tip vehicle usage in their team's favor
                            • Code cleanups

And things that still need work before release:
                            • Extended vehicle pathfinding, AI will now attempt to drive vehicles anywhere they'll fit
                            • A few other small things, such as possible speech binder via console

I hope to have this out sometime soon, perhaps within the next week? Some of those items also need some further testing to ensure nothing broke, though everything looks good and stable so far (except for the new vehicle pathing - that's a bit of a mess at the moment)

Thanks, and stay tuned!

Also, in reply to some specific things here:

Originally posted by Firmament View Post
                            Wow, that's amazing how your Ai mod fixes the jump-pad issue on a map like Rankin 2010 (and many other ones)... Those stupid bots were ruining my games but now it has gone!
                            Great to hear!

Originally posted by Firmament View Post
                            About the Warfare mode though, there are both very positive and few negative aspects. On some maps, the bots play too defensive, regardless of what orders I may give them. But I'm playing with fully customized bots, so perhaps I'm not the best personn to report issues on such a mod.
                            This is in part due to vehicle pathing - the paths normally available to bots are limited, which can sometimes confuse them or otherwise make them "slow" at attacking the objective. I'm attempting to improve this for the next release.

Originally posted by rampage p View Post
                            The default AI will target players over other bots, could that be changed with this mutator?
                            UT 2.1 AI actually does not prefer players other other bots - except for a few oversights (one of which being CTF AI), which foxMod indeed corrects. AI now only targets based on legitimate factors (threat level due to weapon, powerups, etc.)

Comment

Great mod, been looking for something like this for ages.

Comment

Working...
                              X