• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-Insomniac

Name:WAR-Insomniac
    Version: Final
    Compatibility: PC
    Description: Final Version, Cavern type war map.
    Comments: D/L contains a bright version/skylight, and a darker version for better atmosphere[SE]
    Screenshot:
    Darker Version... Insomniac_SE using Post Processing - Intense, Brightness - 8

Darker Version... Insomniac_SE Defaul -PostPro..., Brightness 6

Download: http://www.filefront.com/17534033/WA...iac_Final.rar/

Interesting. I would say that the SE version is definitely better lighting than the other one. These are a bit too "random" and busy for my tastes though. The abundance of details makes the maps suffer in frame rates. Both could use some work simplifying, cleaning up, aligning brushes, etc.

The theming could use some adjustment too. For example -- Why are the stalactites clinging to a completely flat, smooth rock surface? And why are they a completely different color from the rest of the rock formations? They'd be made of the same minerals surrounding them and would be shades of the same colors. Here are some example images.

Also, how are those trees growing in a dark cavern without any natural light? It'd be more believable if there was sunlight streaming in from a hole in the ceiling at least. And more importantly, why are they growing out of the stone and the top of buildings?

Hopefully this gives you some food for thought for your next map.

In the meantime, I've also mirrored this on Mapraider's three mirrors and taken a handful of additional screenshots for those that want more detail before downloading 120MB worth of maps:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5408

Comment

first of all- Thanks very much for playing, providing feedback and especially thank you for the effort with the link and screenshots. That is really appreciated.

In answer to your questions, im a little confused how i can align brushes- are you referring to walls- especially at the lifts?- if not an elaboration would be welcome.
      The stalactites you refer to are only 'icy in_SE', because i kinda got bored with the natural look-i agree, the normal one i originally had looks cleaner and integrates better, but its a nice change-
      tbh i didn't expect any feedback- so if there is interest i may pursue this.

there is previous posts on other forums discussing the lighting and people mentioned beta 3 was too dark in places- this was shadows created by a chandelier-
      if you look at the video for beta 3 you will see the chandelier- which i have now removed-
      i had the exact same idea-
      bring light in from the ceiling- but like you also i prefer the SE darker version- so i wasnt fuzzed with adding beams and a hole
      Trees grow anywhere and everywhere - thats just for gameplay - to remove spam etc

Thanks again

Comment

No, there are a number of places where it looks like you have BSP brushes that could be aligned better. Though looking at it again, I guess you may have been going for a "rocky" look by using a bunch of subtracted cubes slightly shifted.

This screenshot shows some examples from various locations. A couple of them show stretched textures as well. The top two are from the tubed-passageways behind the bases. The bottom left is from the long cutout with the wood columns (I toggled static meshes off to get a better shot) and the last one is from the sniper area.

[screenshot]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7530/warinsomniacbsp.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up --
          What you have there is changes made since being tested online, - i implemented alot of changes roughly in this fashion for players, i guess i haven't fully looked around the map since i did this....
          As long as gameplay is not effected thats ok..
          I will perfect these minor issues in due time...

Thank you again FreakinMeany. if only you had tested it before i released final...
          Take it Easy
          TKBS

Comment

okay i cleared up all the bsp's and things u mentioned.

Thanks again

Comment

Is the latest .ut3 file date still 11/19/10?

Comment

trouble?

Is it my system or just Memorex? The map keeps freezing when moving mouse and looking across "waiting for match to begin". Why? Or must I wait for the rendering to finish. It starts and my guys moves across the field of view stops and then dies, then I finally get him going again and when I die normally it starts all over again with the map freezing. The scenery looks nice and plenty of z-axis, but the map keeps freezing and I'm not sure why....any ideas? I'm going to have to kick some a$$ if it's my video card going bad........I'll see how some other maps go and maybe come back to this one.

Comment

Doesn't freeze for me, SkaarjMaster. Strange. Maybe there's something you've installed that's conflicting?

Comment

EpicBoy is fine. Could it be all the post-processing stuff and my 2-year old system? Funny, I don't even have bloom and all that stuff turned on. I have Jurassic Rage III, UT3Dom and approx. 340+ custom maps installed right now. I have a few extra things downloaded but never installed them yet. Let me check it again real quick.

EDIT: disabled Jurassic Rage as the mutator was left enabled and same thing. What happens is I start the match and am moved over to the right where I then stop and am spectating my own player and watch him move away from me as I'm trying to play. He dies and I'm OK, but then I die again and same thing happens all over again. Any ideas on WTF could be going on? The main UT3 file I installed is dated 11/19/10 5:39PM if that helps any. Also, it looks like I'm using the Sky_Light version. Should I try the NoSky_Light version instead?

Comment

Holy ****! 340 custom maps installed in UT3 at the same time?! That's braaaaave

I spent most of my time checking out the nosky version if I remember correctly, so it'd certainly be interesting to see if there's an issue with the other one.

Comment

OK, it looks like the SE version (NoSky_Light) was the one I originally wanted to try anyway, but it has the same problem. It's like a third-person view and I can see my guy and what he's doing but the angle is all messed up so I can't even play the map in third-person view. WTF is going on? Do I have a WAR map setting screwed up?

EDIT: the only other thing I can think of is maybe they are PS3 versions or something. I'm really at a loss for WTF is going on.....anyone have an other ideas?

Comment

Anyone else with a lot of maps installed having trouble with this one? TIPPER?

EDIT: custom maps subdir > 17GB; all UT3 > 27.2 GB

Comment

I read you were struggling mate and bypassed this one

Sry mate, I’ll check it out later if I can

Comment

Hi SkaarjMaster

“Is it my system or just Memorex? The map keeps freezing when moving mouse and looking across "waiting for match to begin". Why? Or must I wait for the rendering to finish. It starts and my guys moves across the field of view stops and then dies, then I finally get him going again and when I die normally it starts all over again with the map freezing. The scenery looks nice and plenty of z-axis, but the map keeps freezing and I'm not sure why....any ideas? I'm going to have to kick some a$$ if it's my video card going bad........I'll see how some other maps go and maybe come back to this one.”

Okay, I get part of this problem with both map versions.
                              As soon as I start the game the map freezes for a moment and I drift across the map with no mouse control.
                              When I left click the mouse again everything returns to normal.
                              So, apart from the starting problem the map plays okay. A bit of a frame rate punisher but nothing like as bad as say DM Mardarth Mines which drops to below 30fps in places.
                              My kit is fairly old AMD 64 Windsor dual core (mild overclock) 4 gigs of RAM (but using XP so call it 3 gigs) and Nvidia GT 9800.

I should add that as a rule I wait until the game has rendered fully before starting play and depending on the map this may take up to 15 seconds.

So, I would say there is a small problem but whether its map or kit related I don’t know.
                              Sorry I can’t be of more help mate.

Overall, an interesting map. It will probably take a few plays to work out what’s going on. I found it fairly confusing and this might put some of the “shoot em up camper style players” off.
                              I haven’t played it enough to comment any further on construction etc, there’s a lot to look at.

Comment

Working...
                              X