DM-Chiasma Downgraded to RC2 [D/L][Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better late than never

Overall a good map but there are some things you might want to change.

1. The sound effects, pretty much all of the machine sounds are way too high and gets very repetive, 1 sound in particular that you can hear throughout half the map.

Got some pictures for the rest of my suggestions.

[shot]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/931/chiasma1.jpg[/shot]
    1/4 of a circle meshes, doesn't look very good tbh. Besides they are way overscaled

[shot]http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1906/chiasma2.jpg[/shot]
    Light mesh could probably be a bit bigger, the lightcone color does not match the color of the light mesh, it is also a bit too big (height is fine).

[shot]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2626/chiasma3.jpg[/shot]
    Here you're using 2 water surfaces, 1 for the surface and 1 near the ground. Looks kind of wierd :P, I would also add a depthbiasalpha node to the water material to get rid of those hard edges (some of the materials found in UN_Water does that, so if you need a reference take a look there).

[shot]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7800/chiasma4.jpg[/shot]
    Here you can clearly see that you're using a skydome mesh with an incorrect UV map for that texture (the sky is stretched). The lightcone to the bottom-right of the picture is scaled badly, same way the other lightcone I mentioned (this actually goes for all of your lightcones).

[shot]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1333/chiasma5.jpg[/shot]
    The InterpActors does not quite match their base (color wise) also there's a snap when the movement loops which I noticed when I looked closer.

[shot]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2888/chiasma6.jpg[/shot]
    The door needs some kind of trim, the other side of the door is fine.

[shot]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9587/chiasma7.jpg[/shot]
    The water mesh/material is WAY overscaled, like at least 50 times too much.

fps are fine, around 60fps constant

lighting is good

Comment

Hi Thrallala, thats some very good observations you've made there. I feel good now after putting this one on the back burner for so long. I agree with most all observations, THX .

Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
      Better late than never

Overall a good map but there are some things you might want to change.

1. The sound effects, pretty much all of the machine sounds are way too high and gets very repetive, 1 sound in particular that you can hear throughout half the map.
      I'll look into either creating some diversity or lessening the radii.
      1/4 of a circle meshes, doesn't look very good tbh. Besides they are way overscaled
      Yeah I realised it wasn't a perfect fit, but i'll look into finding alternatives.
      Light mesh could probably be a bit bigger, the lightcone color does not match the color of the light mesh, it is also a bit too big (height is fine).
      Being faily new to the material editor I was reluctant to mess with this - but I've learnt a bit more since then so I'll look into it. I kinda liked the size but I'll take your observation on board.
      Here you're using 2 water surfaces, 1 for the surface and 1 near the ground. Looks kind of wierd :P, I would also add a depthbiasalpha node to the water material to get rid of those hard edges (some of the materials found in UN_Water does that, so if you need a reference take a look there).
      Opps, guss I must have accidentally duplicated that, - great pick up! Hmm yeah this has to be one of the more simple water materials so it didn't seem so opaque to me. I'll look into the edge smoothing, thanks.
      Here you can clearly see that you're using a skydome mesh with an incorrect UV map for that texture (the sky is stretched). The lightcone to the bottom-right of the picture is scaled badly, same way the other lightcone I mentioned (this actually goes for all of your lightcones).
      Yeah the skydome is a bit streatched on reflection I'll try and find its correct partner.
      The InterpActors does not quite match their base (color wise) also there's a snap when the movement loops which I noticed when I looked closer.
      I was trying to save on dynamic lights so this one is false coloured. I'll see if I can do a better job on it. About the snapping, must have forgot to go back to that one.
      The door needs some kind of trim, the other side of the door is fine.
      Arh I though no one would notice that one. I'll see what I can do.

The water mesh/material is WAY overscaled, like at least 50 times too much.
      Hmm being outside the map I'm not sure thats such a big factor. But it is a valid pt.

Thanks for your time. Thats some very good feedback, much appreciated.

Comment

No worries at all. I forgot to say one thing, for a first map it's way above standard and I can tell you've put in a lot of effort into this

Comment

DL link seems to result in some popup spam junk ??? and no download

Comment

Originally posted by nfleming View Post
            DL link seems to result in some popup spam junk ??? and no download
            Sry you are having difficulties. I checked the link and it works fine on my end so dont know how to fix this issue. However here are some more links perhaps you will have better luck.

Older
            mapraider
            ut3.game-maps.net
            Newer
            mediafire_alt

I'm working on an update, hopefully it will be finalised soon. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

The mapraider - filefront link works.

Thanks for the linkage

Comment

I reckon this is the last Beta - RC2. Please report any issues you find. I wish to finalise this map soon. First post includes changes in this version.

Comment

Rc2

Hey bud,

Give RC2 a go, overall, great improvements all over the place

I just saw little things that caught my attention :

[screenshot]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1659/screenshot00000t0.jpg[/screenshot]

-Red arrow = the skydome SM need to be lower, so you don't see the hull effect.
                  -Yellow arrow = I could access above that area & it shouldn't be since you block that high on other spots. Beside, you can see the 'nonlitmaterial'.
                  - Blue arrow = all SM that players can't reach should have there collision set to block weapon only (I didn't check, just an advice).

[screenshot]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1437/screenshot00001u.jpg[/screenshot]

Green arrow = the SM don't reach the floor.
                  Yellow arrow = the material on this SM isn't adequate.

Hope it help

The map in all, is very good, so GJ bud

Comment

Hi Stevelois

Thanks for the taking the time to look at this one again, I really appreciate your observations.

The sky dome i've left so high coz the player normally cant get that high. But thats just me being lazy. I'll bring the earth closer to the sky to fill the gap.

Thanks for the pick up on those out of scene perspective. I'll finish up the blocking vol /edge scene issues.

About the changing collision to just block weapons I hadn't realised that it added any performance improvements (I assume thats the reason). I'll look into it, thanks.

Thanks for the pick up on the static mesh.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the roller door. Is that a lighting issue (too dark) or does it need more specularity. I'll have a close look at it and see what I can do.

Thanks for your input its an invaluable boost to getting this one finished.

Comment

Your welcome m8

I always navigate the map in spec mode before playing, so areas like that won't be normally accessible while playing. Still, if you do hammer jump or use a multi-jump mutator as I do you will access those areas

About the door, it's the material on the SM I point out is using another material than the stock one which is very weird looking. You have the same SM just behind it that use the stock material.

As for the collisions, there is a performance impact & file size impact in the end

I'm happy to help you out bud. I know it's not much but ho well as long as it can help a bit, why not

I really like the lighting in this release

Comment

Good pts about the skydome, all fixed now.

Yeah I couldn't see it clearly form the pic but yeah its very weird looking in game, I'm really surprised I never noticed that. Thanks for picking it up.I think the mesh has only one good side or something, not sure what caused that. This problem didn't occur in other times I've used it. Better triple check...

Cool, thanks for the performance tip I wasn't aware of this distinction.

Dude its really appreciated, more so than ever.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X