DM-Glacial [Final]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Is anyone else seeing heavy seaming all over this map? Along virtually every join, i'm seeing the telltale flickery pixels of fine gaps between surfaces.

I've tried upping my admittedly low set resolution for this game past what I can normally run but it's still there, it's a complete shame as the level itself is beautiful, but the seams are noticeable enough to be constantly distracting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there a reason the weapons are so sparse on this map and so far from the player starts?

Other than that great map!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    great map!

The good preview shots is a prelude to a great map with a great music choice as well as good sounds from the crackling of fire to the wind and the "voices" telling me this map is a good one. The visuals of the fire, snow and heat look very professional also. The fire looks good in the lanterns also but with all that heat in the map surely the icicles would be melted by now. This map has good textures/meshes, lighting/shadows and trim with everything looking very clean. The cracks in the floor, custom teleporter and custom jump pads really contribute to the total map atmosphere. With all the great atmosphere in this one, the gameplay is good as well with classic gameplay, good flow and plenty of z-axis. I'm sure this one rocks online!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It takes time to compile the local cache.
    Actually RC1 is 99.9% same as the final, except a few small bugs, so that's kinda weird.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any ideas why this map takes a long time to load after a server restart? It happens only on a server restart the first time the map is played. It's like the server needs to cache something big.

Version 31 didn't do it, RC1 did it but not as bad maybe?

The only other map that I've seen do this is Calahan2, it behaved the same exact way. Calahan2's build version was old and not current, I always thought that was the reason.

I tried reinstalling from a different download site but no luck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    2005 was a special year for me, but not about the mapping. I guess I just began to know what was nice for UT mapping and UCMP guys helped a lot;p

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by chonglee View Post
    SuperAlgae, most textures are 1024x1024. That's not HD when comes to UE3. But it looks OK when the normal maps is on and the texture detail setting is high.
    Agreed, the textures look great during normal play. For the most part, any pixelation or blurriness is only noticeable when you put your nose right up on them. While detail textures could address that, it is certainly not a necessity. The map is stunning regardless.

On a more general topic, I was looking at the other maps on your web site. Was there something special that happened to your mapping around 2005? Your maps were always good, but the ones after that have this incredible crispness to them. I'm not sure if it is the lighting or custom textures/meshes, but there is something wonderfully distinctive.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    SuperAlgae, most textures are 1024x1024. That's not HD when comes to UE3. But it looks OK when the normal maps is on and the texture detail setting is high.

M^vL, thanks!;p

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good to see this on the frontpage of BU. Very well deserved!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Pure Excellence

I've been meaning to play this map for months but have been consumed with my own work. I expected this to be a solid map with great architecture, but it is so much more... the cracks and heat effects from the encroaching magma, strong lighting, good flow/connectivity/z-axis, excellent coherence and feeling of place, and the map preview! the map preview!! -- I didn't even realize UT3 let you have animated previews. It all has a professional, complete feel.

The only issue I can find is that many of the textures are low-res when viewed closely, but I probably would not have even noticed if I was playing instead of admiring the scenery. The textures themselves are very good; the materials could just use some detail textures.

This map is a piece art, but it also plays well and is nicely polished. It's a must for anyone playing UT3, and anyone not is missing out. I'm glad you stuck with it for so long and finished it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wish id followed this map from the start.
    You can see time and dedication here.
    First class job.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the mirror! Skillz.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...DM-Glacial.zip

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very cool to see the progress. I do not have the patience to keep pics more than 2 weeks. So many changes since 4 years, amazing !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by M^vL View Post
    This map really is a staggering achievement with all of the amazing design and attention to detail. In my imaginary release version of UT3 that would be filled with clean, uncluttered yet visually interesting maps, this would have been one of the retail release maps. Thanks so much for all of your hard work on this incredible work of art. I'm going to be enjoying this one for a long time.
    Thanks, I ever thought the same thing about UT3 too. So I tried in my maps. But I don't think this one is good enough for a retail game (visually), unless the meshes were replaced with highly-detailed ones like those in Gears. But that's beyond my capability as I am not a level artist

Originally posted by FreakinMeany View Post
    Says 4.0 average for me. I also rated it a 5. /shrugs

Chong: I added the PS3 version to Mapraider's three mirrors as well.
    Cool ! Thanks a lot!
    I am to add the mirrors in the 1st post.

And Thank you guys for support. That rating thing looks weird to me since I barely have rated any thread in a long time (I am lazy). Four stars are more than enough as I think

Oh, here I made a picture showing the different versions of the same room in this many years. Haha, see how time is wasted:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X