DM-Glacial [Final]

Name:
    Glacial

Version:

Compatibility:
    PC
    PS3

Description:
    A church locates in a place of ice and snow, and active volcano which is going to erupt.

Screenshot:

Video:
    Some of the jumps you can do in this map:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPrCrxe5i-8

The locations of the main items:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXqdKXHaVw

Credits:
    EPIC //For creating UT3 and the Mod tools
    Valve //Some textures of this map are based on HL2 textures
    PCF //One or two textures are based on Painkiller. And the whole visual style is inspired by this game
    idsoft and CPMA //The gameplay-wised layout is inspired by CPMA maps
    UCMP guys:
    Luv_Studd
    G.Lecter
    barballs
    Slainchild
    Sjosz
    Zio
    ArcadiaVincennes
    And others...

* Also thanks to the guys for comments and support, in random order:
    stevelois
    J3FFyB
    Bret Hart
    Brits__Hit
    EpicJon
    KamilR
    wael
    SEBASTIEN-NOVA
    Mr.UglyPants
    Hellclown
    djroby
    TIPPER
    M^vL
    Bl!tz~
    Lord_PorkSword
    pan1978108
    Albert M
    molosev
    »TheHitMan«
    rulaman
    Taffy
    GreatEmerald
    razer121
    WedgeBob
    milb
    TurdDrive
    Darkdrium
    Waffnuffly
    Ignotium
    Bi()ha2arD
    HedgeMaster
    Thrallala
    DarkSonny
    medoo
    hiyizi
    miaozzZ
    Paperfly
    AMIO
    qwer
    zkboss
    xinger
    Porky

* And great thanks to these guys for helping with the statue modelling:
    woodstochao
    feng

Homepage:
    https://sites.google.com/site/chongleevoxels/

Download:

PC Version:
    http://www.filefront.com/16731485/DM-Glacial.zip
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/210000/213202.shtml
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMap...DM-Glacial.zip
    MapRaider
    http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...DM-Glacial.zip

PS3 Version:
    http://www.filefront.com/16741897/DM-Glacial_PS3.zip This is a new one. I tested and it's working.
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/210000/213214.shtml
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMap...lacial_PS3.zip

The changes after Release Candidate 1:
    - Fixed a few collision bugs
    - Improved AI path finding
    - Fixed two small visual bugs

I am going to upload the PS3 version very soon, after I finish the testing.

Comment

AHH D: just the best custom medium map of ever, man NICE!!!

Comment

Love your maps Moonflyer, and this looks like another cool one full of ambience. Gonna go check it out now, but just in case you didn't get the auto e-mail, I've added it to Mapraider's three mirrors and assigned it to your accoun for you:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5108

Comment

thx for the mapping lesson; top art work, congratz

Comment

PS3 Version uploaded
            And thanks for your support!

Comment

Yep, downloaded it just this morning. Playing it now to see whether or not we see any difference from the Beta release that I downloaded some time ago.

Comment

It's on Beer Drinkers TDM server in Chicago if anyone wants to try it out online.

Thanks for the great map!

Comment

The metal track from the jump vid keeps going through my head...someone make it stop !!

Comment

After playing / test many versions since a long long time, ****, the final is truly a unique piece of work

I remember the first versions (which was nice even at there early stage) & was wondering how it will turn on in the end.

There are many aspects that is truly different from the rest. I didn't check the map in the editor so since there is many ways of doing things, I just want to comment on few things.

For example, the lava heat effect is very convincing. Dunno how you've done it but it's by far the best heat effect I've saw in years.

Same thing for the snow effect, very nice & convincing, never saw that kind of movement since we usually see snow falling straight vertically instead horizontally with a sort of wind effect that make the snow spinning with a nice variation in movement.

The custom jumpad is looking awesome & fit's with the level (glowing is a nice effect btw).

The teleporter is also very well done. All custom stuff are jaw dropping & none the less.

As mentioned before, I love the layout & the enhance lighting make the level look way better. Now, the lighting is awesome & less uniform which provide better shadows across the map.

Only point about lighting (& it's not a complaint, only something I notice ) is the light source radius is way to much. In various spots, a simple flame or 2 can't light a huge room like it's the case. But anyway, it look good anyway.

The contrast between the blue / red is really amazing. Love the transition between inside / outside the map (lighting / materials / map construction, etc).

Another first is that your preview screen are videos. I've saw pics changing in various maps but it's the first time I see vids for the preview screen. Again, very well done & even more surprising is that the map file size isn't bigger than the average.

In all, this is a masterpiece. Unique look, unique features, awesome atmosphere, awesome lighting, killer layout, it flow well & gameplay is very fun, what can I say more ?

I was please to add it to my top picks yesterday !

Many THX for this unique work of art & mapping lesson

Comment

PC: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1638

Added the PC version to DB! The PS3 version zipfile is corrupted, please re-upload it.

Objections if i add it to a future mappack???

Greetz zunnie

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                        In all, this is a masterpiece. Unique look, unique features, awesome atmosphere, awesome lighting, killer layout, it flow well & gameplay is very fun, what can I say more ?

While the map is simple at first glance, the more you look at it, the more details you see. The biggest question about this map is, what's not to like?

I especially like the teleporter, the contrast between the ice/lave, and the clean look of the map.

The only possible critiques I can say is that there are some "quiet" apreas (no ambient noise) and that there seems to be a lot of light for the few light sources (though the lighting looks great).

That being said, great work as usual from you!

Comment

Originally posted by WedgeBob View Post
                          Yep, downloaded it just this morning. Playing it now to see whether or not we see any difference from the Beta release that I downloaded some time ago.
                          Visually this is almost the same as RC1, so it's hard to "see" the differences

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                          The metal track from the jump vid keeps going through my head...someone make it stop !!
                          It's a nice track from painkiller but not that fit for the vid

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                          After playing / test many versions since a long long time, ****, the final is truly a unique piece of work

I remember the first versions (which was nice even at there early stage) & was wondering how it will turn on in the end.

There are many aspects that is truly different from the rest. I didn't check the map in the editor so since there is many ways of doing things, I just want to comment on few things.

For example, the lava heat effect is very convincing. Dunno how you've done it but it's by far the best heat effect I've saw in years.

Same thing for the snow effect, very nice & convincing, never saw that kind of movement since we usually see snow falling straight vertically instead horizontally with a sort of wind effect that make the snow spinning with a nice variation in movement.

The custom jumpad is looking awesome & fit's with the level (glowing is a nice effect btw).

The teleporter is also very well done. All custom stuff are jaw dropping & none the less.

As mentioned before, I love the layout & the enhance lighting make the level look way better. Now, the lighting is awesome & less uniform which provide better shadows across the map.

Only point about lighting (& it's not a complaint, only something I notice ) is the light source radius is way to much. In various spots, a simple flame or 2 can't light a huge room like it's the case. But anyway, it look good anyway.

The contrast between the blue / red is really amazing. Love the transition between inside / outside the map (lighting / materials / map construction, etc).

Another first is that your preview screen are videos. I've saw pics changing in various maps but it's the first time I see vids for the preview screen. Again, very well done & even more surprising is that the map file size isn't bigger than the average.

I was please to add it to my top picks yesterday !

The first versions you saw, were not the real first versions I gonna post some screenshots here.

Yeah the lightsources look not big enough for the light they emitt, I knew that, but I was just kinda lazy to change it

Thx for your comments, as always!

Originally posted by zunnie View Post
                          PC: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1638

Added the PC version to DB! The PS3 version zipfile is corrupted, please re-upload it.

Objections if i add it to a future mappack???

Greetz zunnie
                          I am sorry for the corrupted file, uploading a new one now!

Do whatever you want as long as you keep the file intact

Originally posted by Odedge View Post

While the map is simple at first glance, the more you look at it, the more details you see. The biggest question about this map is, what's not to like?

I especially like the teleporter, the contrast between the ice/lave, and the clean look of the map.

The only possible critiques I can say is that there are some "quiet" apreas (no ambient noise) and that there seems to be a lot of light for the few light sources (though the lighting looks great).

That being said, great work as usual from you!
                          I want the areas to be "quiet",the reason is very simple, so that you can hear the sounds of your enemies. IMO this is more important than the atmosphere brought by more ambient sounds.
                          Thx!

Comment

I'll give this one a go....

Comment

This map really is a staggering achievement with all of the amazing design and attention to detail. In my imaginary release version of UT3 that would be filled with clean, uncluttered yet visually interesting maps, this would have been one of the retail release maps. Thanks so much for all of your hard work on this incredible work of art. I'm going to be enjoying this one for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X