• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-EngineRoom [Final][Pics]

Name: DM-EngineRoom
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: Patch 2.1 required
    Description: Soft lighting, OSHA non-complaint catwalks, an abandoned semi-functioning engine room within some huge vessel -- what better place for mind-numbing violence?
    Comments: A large, open map of my own humble brain that works nicely with 10-20 players, although it can handle 32 pretty well, too. A number of jumppads, lifts, and teleporters get you around fairly quickly. Note that depending on your monitor brightness, parts of the map may be very dark.
    Screenshot:

Credits: Everything done by me, except for the custom Ladder Volume script which was created by SteelerWolf. And, of course, the pre-existing Epic stuff.
    Homepage: www.strangeunlimited.com/blog
    Download: http://www.filefront.com/16272207/DM-EngineRoom.zip/

This is hardly playable as level
    -gateways are really narrow
    -this level would be better in ctf (because it is large and almost symmetrical)
    -it is a too dark (some place are completely black)
    -items are goods placed (I love the location of the rockets launcher, for example)
    -i dont understand why you creates a piece full of health (with white walls): I had
    trouble to move in it and it was too light compared to the rest of your map
    -lots of good idea (If this is intentional: the height staircase with the jumps-pad,
    but general gameplay looks too ut2k4~)
    -it is rather successful for a map first

Comment

Originally posted by BloodK1nG View Post
      This is hardly playable as level
      -gateways are really narrow
      -this level would be better in ctf (because it is large and almost symmetrical)
      -it is a too dark (some place are completely black)
      -items are goods placed (I love the location of the rockets launcher, for example)
      -i dont understand why you creates a piece full of health (with white walls): I had
      trouble to move in it and it was too light compared to the rest of your map
      -lots of good idea (If this is intentional: the height staircase with the jumps-pad,
      but general gameplay looks too ut2k4~)
      -it is rather successful for a map first
      Thanks for the feedback!

To address your comments directly:
      -I wanted the gateways to be pretty narrow, but this is likely more of a personal preference. One of the things I've enjoyed about UT3 (vs, GoW, for example) is that it's not "realistic" in terms of how far you can fall, as well as jumppads, telelporters, etc. Also, I deliberately placed a number of health items around so even if people did fall, the idea would be that it was not likely to kill them, and they could recover quickly.
      -CTF is a good call; definitely wanted a basic symmetry to the level.
      -As I mentioned in the post, it was darker than I expected when testing on a seperate machine. In the end, I decided to stay with the current lighting set-up as I wanted a strong contrast between dark and light. Probably should have adjusted things up, though.
      -As for the light room, that was meant to be a "break" from the rest of the map. It was enclosed, well-lit, and safe, whereas the rest of the map is wide open, dark, and dangerous.
      -Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "too ut2k4?" You're probably right, as I played a lot of that, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the different gameplay styles of ut3 vs. ut2k4.
      -Finally, glad you liked the item placements and support for the first map.

Again, thanks for the feedback -- very helpful and useful, and I'll definitely be making some improvements to the next map I make.

Comment

As for the light room, that was meant to be a "break" from the rest of the map. It was enclosed, well-lit, and safe, whereas the rest of the map is wide open, dark, and dangerous
        It is a good idea but it is very difficult to move inside.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "too ut2k4?" You're probably right, as I played a lot of that, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the different gameplay styles of ut3 vs. ut2k4.
        There are a lot of topic about the difference between ut2k4 and ut3, but to summarize:
        in ut3...
        -corridor are larger but less long (you need more space to move you and Dodge)
        -weapons are more accuracy (everything becomes easy with the rockets launcher)
        -weapons are faster and more powerful
        -titan replaces the adrenaline (It needs space to be move but has a cheated aim)
        -the map are a little smaller
        am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
        X