Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guy what's up

Comment

Back again nice work bro I just found the map small....overall it was good remake.

Comment

Excellent remake!

Ok, first of all, I have to say I never played the original or the LE102 version of this map in the original UT, but I just tried both of them as well as this awesome UT3 remake tonight! Second, I have to start out by describing the previous two UT maps and then finally this UT3 version.

CTF-Maelstrom for UT >> first thing I noticed was the seriously-colored bases so it was obvious where you were as well as the biorifle, minigun and armor vest with some health packs in the flag room. It's an interesting church crypt/cavern design with a choke point in the middle and a sniper rifle on the wall in the middle of the map. The sky just plain ol' sucks, but the torches are subtle in front of windowed designs. I like the hidden flak cannon under the stairs and health packs are in the middle also. I didn't notice the underground stairs until I played the LE102 version because it was somewhat hidden behind the rocks, but this one has a green skaarj-type cavern with a Udamage in the middle. You definitely need the xloc (or a lot of teamwork) to get to the enemy flag over the wall. Bots tend to get stuck in the middle and they cheat with the biorifle even in the original UT too.

CTF-Maelstrom-LE102 (League Edition version 1.02) for UT >> I first noticed that the flag room was way too bright and they went with a different design in this one (basically a little more bright and cheery); the flag room was also adorned with the traditional winged quadruple-breasted spiked-hair angel mural. The torches are now just plain ol' torches and the nali seed trees replaces the health packs outside. The sky is a lot better and the underground path area has health vials and Udamage and is designed in more of a crystal cavern theme. Armor pads replace the sniper location and the sniper rifle is now located in an alcove above the base entrances and you can now teleport to them at a location of trees just to the side of the base entrances but not all the way to the wall. I don't like the brighter theme of this one, but it has some other better aspects.

CTF-Maelstrom for UT3
        - this one has similar music and better ambient sounds
        - I'm not sure about the planet/moon with the bright light around it, but the rest of the sky and surrounding landscape with rocks, trees, waterfalls and ice caves looks great. Holy moly, that IS a glacier isn't it! I didn't notice this during my first match.
        - excellent job on the crystal caverns below with the fire and the grates above to look down below
        - great lighting and the details of the rocks, ice, etc. is done very well
        - I like the deco around the base entrances
        - The fire in the flag room is done well and I noticed the detailed rafters above
        - the torches and the fire look a hell of a lot better in UT3.
        - I also noticed some rabbits and chickens as subtle floor designs in the stone floor going into the bases; the rabbit looks like an old west outlaw ready to draw on you and the chickens are seen from the side.
        - I like the new flak cannon location as well as the leg armor and helmet locations.
        - The sniper is above the base entrance like LE102 (for UT) and the teleport location has been moved to the edge of the map under the waterfall (good idea as there is risk here).
        - I love the crazy sounds of the fragging and it seems to be different when one of your teammates gets fragged but can't tell for sure.
        - Bots seem to be easier in UT3, but my bot settings might not be the same in both games anyway.
        - All in all a great remake of a map I just tried for the first time tonight!

I had to break my review order with this one, my curiosity got the best of me.

Comment

Holy smoke!!!

I've been meaning to get back to everyone, thank you again for so many compliments on this map - this really makes it worth my while (personally) Thx everyone/

Also ..
          many thx again to my all of my buddies @ UOF - theses dudes are the bomb in the UT3-hood. Specially Lord_PorkSword, Bl!tz, Nova, Diesalot, Stevelois, Thrallala, SO... Odedge, Zerglings, Rath, Quaal, Rulaman, & of course my 1st friend here on the epic forums HO0815XX.

Woah SkaarjMaster ..

That review of yours is a **** nice personal honor, i've been watching you on these forums since you came over from beyondunreal.com and frankly i wish someone like you would have been here from day 1! (Glad to have ya supporting the cause)

I really appreciate the fact that you looked at the UT99 version(s) of this map and gave it such a thorough and fair evaluation.

Dang fine.

Comment

I got a late start with UT3 and didn't actually get the game until Christmas. My rig sucked at the time, so I did try a few custom maps but mostly downloaded for a while. I built a new rig in March 2009, but just now actually got going again looking at more UT3 custom maps. After I got my new rig, I decided to revisit all my old Unreal/UT series games, so I'm kinda still in the middle of all that and trying more custom maps and SP stuff for all of them.

Comment

If you want it cooked for the PS3, I really need the uncooked PC version. If you are having problems uploading try a new file hoster like filefront. I am the only 1 who you are going to give access to that particular file anyways. (Delete afterwards.) This is in my editor log when I load your map.
              Code:
              Warning: Failed to compile Material CTF-Maelstrom.Materials.Rock_Crackle for platform PC-D3D-SM3, Default Material will be used in game.
              Warning: Failed to compile Material CTF-Maelstrom.Materials.Animations.Fire_Rocks for platform PC-D3D-SM3, Default Material will be used in game.
              Warning: Failed to compile Material CTF-Maelstrom.Materials.Animations.Smoke for platform PC-D3D-SM3, Default Material will be used in game.
              Warning: Failed to compile Material CTF-Maelstrom.Materials.Base_BSP_Glass_Clear_Displays for platform PC-D3D-SM3, Default Material will be used in game.
              If you really can't get the big file up somewhere then, If you could tell me the textures references for the following.
              Base_BSP_Glass_Clear_Displays: Texture directly below Parm'cubemap Level' (0.1)
              Fire_Rocks: Texture above texture 'T_LT_Buildings_BSP_BunkerWall1a_D'
              RockCradle: Texture above texture 'T_UN_Cave_Dirt_Floor_D'
              Smoke: 2 Textures 1 for A input and 1 for B input

For some reason when you load a map onto a system that didn't cook it it screws up tex references.

Comment

Very, very awesome map! Does the original justice and more.

And if (when) that Mediafire download goes bad, I've added this to Mapraider's three mirrors as well:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5064

Edit: Also just wanted to say that I really appreciate your thoroughness in documentation and screenshots, 1XTreme

Comment

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
                  Ok, first of all, I have to say I never played the original or the LE102 version of this map in the original UT, but I just tried both of them as well as this awesome UT3 remake tonight! Second, I have to start out by describing the previous two UT maps and then finally this UT3 version.

CTF-Maelstrom for UT >> first thing I noticed was the seriously-colored bases so it was obvious where you were as well as the biorifle, minigun and armor vest with some health packs in the flag room. It's an interesting church crypt/cavern design with a choke point in the middle and a sniper rifle on the wall in the middle of the map. The sky just plain ol' sucks, but the torches are subtle in front of windowed designs. I like the hidden flak cannon under the stairs and health packs are in the middle also. I didn't notice the underground stairs until I played the LE102 version because it was somewhat hidden behind the rocks, but this one has a green skaarj-type cavern with a Udamage in the middle. You definitely need the xloc (or a lot of teamwork) to get to the enemy flag over the wall. Bots tend to get stuck in the middle and they cheat with the biorifle even in the original UT too.

CTF-Maelstrom-LE102 (League Edition version 1.02) for UT >> I first noticed that the flag room was way too bright and they went with a different design in this one (basically a little more bright and cheery); the flag room was also adorned with the traditional winged quadruple-breasted spiked-hair angel mural. The torches are now just plain ol' torches and the nali seed trees replaces the health packs outside. The sky is a lot better and the underground path area has health vials and Udamage and is designed in more of a crystal cavern theme. Armor pads replace the sniper location and the sniper rifle is now located in an alcove above the base entrances and you can now teleport to them at a location of trees just to the side of the base entrances but not all the way to the wall. I don't like the brighter theme of this one, but it has some other better aspects.

CTF-Maelstrom for UT3
                  - this one has similar music and better ambient sounds
                  - I'm not sure about the planet/moon with the bright light around it, but the rest of the sky and surrounding landscape with rocks, trees, waterfalls and ice caves looks great. Holy moly, that IS a glacier isn't it! I didn't notice this during my first match.
                  - excellent job on the crystal caverns below with the fire and the grates above to look down below
                  - great lighting and the details of the rocks, ice, etc. is done very well
                  - I like the deco around the base entrances
                  - The fire in the flag room is done well and I noticed the detailed rafters above
                  - the torches and the fire look a hell of a lot better in UT3.
                  - I also noticed some rabbits and chickens as subtle floor designs in the stone floor going into the bases; the rabbit looks like an old west outlaw ready to draw on you and the chickens are seen from the side.
                  - I like the new flak cannon location as well as the leg armor and helmet locations.
                  - The sniper is above the base entrance like LE102 (for UT) and the teleport location has been moved to the edge of the map under the waterfall (good idea as there is risk here).
                  - I love the crazy sounds of the fragging and it seems to be different when one of your teammates gets fragged but can't tell for sure.
                  - Bots seem to be easier in UT3, but my bot settings might not be the same in both games anyway.
                  - All in all a great remake of a map I just tried for the first time tonight!

I had to break my review order with this one, my curiosity got the best of me.
                  ****, and I thought I wrote a good review. You do a great job reviewing and comparing (not just this map but other maps) to the originals, which IMO is very valuable(if I am going to take the time to dl a map I want to know it is good).This map was a definite fav for UT99. I am so glad to have it back. Now all we need is a working Niven. 1x hooked us all up

On a side note it is so killer to see some of these CTF fan favs (which is my style of gameplay) being remade. I wish I had the time and dedication to get into mapping also. If we all keep it up maybe we DIEHARDS can breathe some new life into the community.

Comment

Hi 1X !

Congratulations for this great CTF-Maelstrom

From the pics I thought it was a kind of Helm's Deep at first .
                    I don't know the original, but still can see the layout really worth a remake.

I really like the graphic style, which is evidently your own on certain parts.
                    The various openings on caves greatly push forward the visual appeal
                    I'll just add a critic concerning lights and shadows.
                    Probably a performance choice but regarding the full moon I would expect stronger shadow projections..
                    I checked your work in the editor and noticed all of your main directional lights have the same brightness (0.5).
                    Could have been interesting to raise one of them and lower the others (regarding the moon postion),
                    in order to get a less flat lighting. But that maybe a part of your unique style

The map plays well with bots, though I noticed they gets stuck quite often on one side (attack side) of the main stairs
                    (They try to jump but can't pass, found three of them stuck here once).
                    I still haven't find a way to jump up the main wall or access the Vest armor in the Flag room, I guess there's jump boots hidden somwhere.
                    I'll probably have to dig the map a little more !

Thanks for your clean and interesting first post, really tempt a download act, imo !

Good map, can't wait to see your next !!!

Comment

@euchreplayer23 - haven't forgotten about you - i haven't been around too much lately but i'll be working with the editor during this week, with a little luck i'll be contacting you at some point soon with the uncooked file.

@FreakinMeany - Thx for the mirror! (and the compliments)

@Stevelois, Zergs, Gussie[MK], T-NiTro[MK] Thx for posting! - always appreciate hearing from all of ya.

@Molosev - Hey thx for the constructive post! This is a fairly dark map bro so TBH shadows were a very very low priority with this one, I'm doing some advanced shadow work on my next map though.

& Yeah the bots tend to act brain-dead at times, though i've noticed if their set on skilled or higher they do quite well on the map.

As far as the Vest Armour (in keeping with the original map) its only accessible with the Translocator or Impact hammer jump (you can also impact hammer jump off the stairs and boost all the way over the middle wall, or even off the ground if it done right) the trick with the translocator is to throw it at the side so it bounces off of a side wall and then lands - in other words don't try to through it straight on or perpendicular (its nearly impossible that way) - hope that makes sense.

Comment

http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1627

Added, any objections if i add it to a future CTF mappack?

Greetz zunnie

Comment

Originally posted by zunnie View Post
                          http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1627

Added, any objections if i add it to a future CTF mappack?

Greetz zunnie
                          Zunnie: certainly you can.

(Plz include the original readme of course)

Comment

One of my most played Ctf from the original Ut.
                            This is very much good remake of a classic Ut Ctf map. I really enjoy the graphic.
                            Pro work Wow whats next?

Comment

http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...F-Maelstrom.7z

Comment

Thx again guys! & thx for the mirror Skillz! - (added to 1st post)

Comment

Working...
                                X