Map name: Aly Second Edition
    Game type: DM / TDM
    Version: 1.1
    Players: 2 - 6
    Requirements: UT3 + patch 2.1 + Titan Pack
    Released: 20 February 2010
    Homepage

Story / Histoire:

Long ago, the inhabitants of this quiet & serene place mysteriously disappeared ? The subsequent population reconstruct through the remaining architectures. However, this population also disappeared leaving no clue, no message, no trace ? Nobody has any answer, it suggests that all these people were kidnapped by a unknown higher power, Aliens perhaps ? Welcome to Aly ...

Il y a très longtemps, les habitants de ce lieu tranquille & serein sont mystérieusement disparus ? La population subséquente a reconstruit au travers des architectures en place. Néanmoins, cette population à elle aussi disparue ne laissant aucun indice, aucun message, aucune trace ? Personne n'a de réponse, c'est à croire que toutes ces personnes ont été enlevées pas une force supérieure inconnue, par des Aliens peut-être ? Bienvenue à Aly...

Screenshots:

[screenshot]http://stevelois.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dm-aly-se-01.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://stevelois.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dm-aly-se-02.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://stevelois.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dm-aly-se-03.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://stevelois.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dm-aly-se-04.jpg[/screenshot]

Downloads:

PC : Game-Maps, MediaFire, ut-X.net, UTZone.de

PS3 (1.0) : Game-Maps, MediaFire

Video: (THX to Terror_Force )

Installation:

Extract the archive into :

"My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps" directory. If this folder is not currently on your system, you can safely create it. The archive contains :

DM-Aly-SE.ini
    DM-Aly-SE.txt
    DM-Aly-SE.ut3
    DM-Aly-SE_LOC_int.upk

What as been done for final 1.1:

. Tweak culling & collisions values on big rocks outside the play area.
    . Tweak lightning in general. It's more blueish than before & also change some settings on mesh / materials.
    . Tweak postprocessing effect of the map in general (Bloom, DOF, etc).
    . Tweak fog & sun flare.
    . Tweak music settings.
    . Tweak water postprocessing volume (Udamage pool & deadly waterfall).
    . Add blocking volume near the Sniper, the Stinger, the Shock, the lift near the helmet & from the RL weapon base location to the helmet to enhance flow.
    . Add custom barrels & other visual stuff.
    . Remove all lanterns & replace them with torches / torches holders since they're more appropriate than lanterns & all torches as there own fire sound & will inflict 5 points of damage (the big bunch of very hot wood near the waterfall inflict 20 points of damage). There isn't as many torches as the NE version. Only half of them to add some colors / contrast.
    . Remove the glass on the floor in the RL building so you can shoot trough.
    . Open up the small wall near the Bio to enhance gameplay.
    . Replace stock jumpad (the default one as a default sound) with the 'mute' one (no default ambient sound).
    . Enhance the surrounding water material.
    . Redone all pickups placement except the Udamage & 2 vials.
    . Redone sky dome material.
    . Redone preview screen.

Comments:

Aly is my third map. Since the 2 previous one took me months to build, I wanted to make a simple & nice atmospheric map with just a bit of deco. No complicated mesh work & such, just the minimum to make it look, sound & feel pleasing. I made the 'NE' (Night Edition) & the 'NE FPS' after the day version. I wasn't satisfied with the first day release (1.0) but after working on the NE versions, I decide to rework on the day version & publish this SE by enhancing this & that. Since I was had it, I made drastic pickup changes to bring to the SE a completely new gameplay. I'm getting a minimum of 75 FPS playing against 3 bots with my rig in 1680x1050 everything set to max.

OCZ 600 Watt
    Asus P5N-D (NF750i)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz/1333/6M)
    4 GB OCZ Reaper (DDR2 800 Mhz CAS 3.4.4.15)
    Saphire Radeon HD4870 1 GB with Catalyst 9.12
    Segeate 500 GB 32 MB
    WinXP SP3 with all latest updates

Custom content:

The music track, edited by me.

Exellent elder uncle.

Its always good to see a mapper take the time to fix what he didnt like and give us another version.

Im very impressed but i need a new graphics card to enjoy it fully i think.

I still have an old 9500GT...LOL

Comment

Nice work I added it to game-maps now:
      http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1585

Any chance for a PS3 version? Im sure ppl would like that..

I replaced the DM-Aly with DM-Aly-SE on our server: 85.25.143.169:4321 (Stats)

Im on the server now playing the map and lookin round

Comment

Originally posted by diesalot View Post
        Exellent elder uncle.

Its always good to see a mapper take the time to fix what he didnt like and give us another version.

Im very impressed but i need a new graphics card to enjoy it fully i think.

THX bro

Now, you have the version I wanted to publish in the first place

I hope you will truly enjoy the map on your next GPU upgrade

Originally posted by zunnie View Post
        Nice work I added it to game-maps now:
        http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1585

Any chance for a PS3 version? Im sure ppl would like that..

I replaced the DM-Aly with DM-Aly-SE on our server: 85.25.143.169:4321 (Stats)

Im on the server now playing the map and lookin round
        Great, THX for the mirror

No PS3 version is planned for this map.

Enjoy

Comment

Mirror + 1080p FlyBy

http://www.ut-x.net/View-document-de...d-Edition.html
          or
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROkkaCGH3_8

Comment

THX for the vid & the mirror

Comment

I am digging the updated version. I really like the torches as they give the map some more dynamic elements. The FPS are still good. Thanks for taking the time to improve an already nice map.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                I am digging the updated version. I really like the torches as they give the map some more dynamic elements. The FPS are still good. Thanks for taking the time to improve an already nice map.
                In the beginning, I had torches in mind but UT3 doesn't come with torches, only lamps & lanterns so I choose the lanterns there because I couldn't find something more suitable.

As working on the NE, I thought of using a mesh that could fit as a torch, follow a tut to make the material look like wood on fire & finally add a custom fire emitter to complete the torches look.

Also, Blitz, Thrallala strongly suggest to use torches so that is why I tired to make something nice that could fit.

Now I'm happy with the final result & to share the map with you all.

As always, THX Odedge for the great feedback you gave me on all previous versions

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                  +1 to all that...superb

Comment

Originally posted by diesalot View Post
                    That's the same card I have

And Steve, the torches are a definite improvement and I can surprisingly run this at 25-30 fps (very good for me)
                    Great job improving Aly

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
                      +1 to all that...superb
                      Originally posted by rathalos150 View Post
                      That's the same card I have

And Steve, the torches are a definite improvement and I can surprisingly run this at 25-30 fps (very good for me)
                      Great job improving Aly
                      After all that time I work on it, I'm happy to see that you appreciate the map

THX both of you for your kind words & your support

Comment

Great work, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
                          Great work, I love it.
                          THX & it's very appreciated coming from you

BTW, you have great works posted on BU. Just a shame it's on GOW instead of UT3 so I can't test anything

Comment

Well you should be proud, it's a great level!

And cheers I still remember you helping me with my first map, so I should thank you for that!

Comment

Very nice improvements to one of my favorite custom DM maps. - Great work again Stevelois!!

(ho! too many threads for me to keep track of sometimes) my personal limitation though, when i do a " 'Special Addition' or 'Second Addition' " with one or some of my maps, i'll likely keep it in the same thread for my own simplicity and just give ppl the option to D/L either version. (that's my preference) but we all have our own style and nothing but respect here of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X