Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Aly Night Edition & Night Edition FPS (updated, 18/03/2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks GOOD A GREAT MAP ESPECIALLY WITH A NIGHT VERSION

Comment

THX, happy you like it

Comment

Since my buddy 1XTreme as publish some pics of is next CTF-RainBase map in is CTF-Maelstrom thread (link here), I thought I could do the same for my next map which is called CTF-Gothia (working name & subject to change)

It's early but decent enough to be show to the public, enjoy :

[screenshot]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3903/screenshot00002t.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5692/screenshot00001i.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Kinda looks like a Quake map to me...maybe.

Comment

Dunno, just played Quake arena & DOOM3 a few times. But this map as nothing related from those games, maybe older Quake/Doom games ?

I'm aiming to build a somehow Gothic level with a lot of custom materials & static meshes.

I don't want to put to much stuff in it & keep it simple meshing wise with a simple layout & a great atmosphere

Comment

The style and colour are reminiscent of the first Quake game in these corridors yes. This is a very good homage to the good old days of the first ever true 3D fps, even though this was never his intention!
              The outdoor parts of this map(from what Steve's shown me) is very different to the Quake style and gives good variety in this map so it should be a nice treat to those who don't like dark gothic corridors!

Expect another quality treat to the community from Steve!

Steve,
              I really like the intensity of the orange light against the darkness in these pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_PorkSword View Post
                The style and colour are reminiscent of the first Quake game in these corridors yes. This is a very good homage to the good old days of the first ever true 3D fps, even though this was never his intention!
                The outdoor parts of this map(from what Steve's shown me) is very different to the Quake style and gives good variety in this map so it should be a nice treat to those who don't like dark gothic corridors!

Expect another quality treat to the community from Steve!

Steve,
                I really like the intensity of the orange light against the darkness in these pics.
                What would I do without you buddy

With those explanations, I hope folks have a better understanding of this future map of mine

THX my Lord, I do like the contrast as well, your the man

Comment

i can only see one of the screen which looks great.

As for the name... (puts on rant hat ) there seems to be a common misconception around mapping forums that Gothic = dark, when in fact the opposite is the truth. Gothic architecture was basically a structural solution to allow the most amount of light possible to shine through the largest possible windows possible into the largest possible spaces. So if you are going to call this Gothia then i expect large elegant vertical spaces full of light and brightness and not small low dark dungeons

Looking forward to seeing more!

Comment

Originally posted by yubnub View Post
                    i can only see one of the screen which looks great.

As for the name... (puts on rant hat ) there seems to be a common misconception around mapping forums that Gothic = dark, when in fact the opposite is the truth. Gothic architecture was basically a structural solution to allow the most amount of light possible to shine through the largest possible windows possible into the largest possible spaces. So if you are going to call this Gothia then i expect large elegant vertical spaces full of light and brightness and not small low dark dungeons

Looking forward to seeing more!
                    Odd because I see the 2 pics without problem & they're both hosted by imageshack ? But THX for the compliment

Well, AFAIK, I never saw a bright Gothic map even going back to the UT day's. All movies, maps, characters I saw are rather dark / sinister. This is a pic of my buddy 1xTreme post a while ago in my private UOF thread about the common Gothic look :

[screenshot]http://bryngreenwood.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/goth-how-to.jpg[/screenshot]

I'm not saying your wrong. I'm not that familiar with that era & my knowledge is limited about that subject. I know you have great knowledge about structural design & history if I'm not wrong so feel free to inform me more about the subject. I'm always willing to learn

Comment

Thanks for the "FPS" edition. While I can run the original NE, the FPS is much smoother and still looks nice. I will keep the other around for when I update my graphics card!

Comment

Those pics look nice already Just remember that corridors are usually not good for the flow, so it would be nice to see some shortcuts or other doors in those hallways. Btw I have some pictures of real "gothic" architecture for you(just think of old churches like the Notre Dame or whatever

structure of gothic windows (I'm sure you can make sth. great out of it

But if you want to make a dark, "goth"- map, you could call it something like "medieval crypt", or just "crypt" or whatever...
                        Or call it "stevie's tomb"

Comment

yeah spader u re right on the large overtures in gothic style; though i have seen crypts under gothic churches ;they was based on same "arches style" but as this part is often undaground it dont have windows
                          but again u are totally right because often the undaground part is older and comes from other/older period/style
                          thx for sharing picts and ideas on that theme ; very interresting; i m sure our steve will find a nice way to deal with thoses infos....impressive picts n start anyway

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                            Odd because I see the 2 pics without problem & they're both hosted by imageshack ? But THX for the compliment

Well, AFAIK, I never saw a bright Gothic map even going back to the UT day's. All movies, maps, characters I saw are rather dark / sinister. This is a pic of my buddy 1xTreme post a while ago in my private UOF thread about the common Gothic look :

[screenshot]http://bryngreenwood.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/goth-how-to.jpg[/screenshot]

I'm not saying your wrong. I'm not that familiar with that era & my knowledge is limited about that subject. I know you have great knowledge about structural design & history if I'm not wrong so feel free to inform me more about the subject. I'm always willing to learn
                            hehe yes i guess the word gothic has been highjacked recently to describe people who like to wear dark clothes and be grumpy, i know i used to be one

However if used to describe something structural (such as a gaming map or a building) then it kind of means the exact opposite. Gothic buildings are usually like a stone cage with the gaps filled in by glass. Here are some examples of a few famous Gothic buildings:

Sainte Chapelle

York Minster

Exeter Cathedral

Amiens Cathedral

So while there are indeed a few instances of dark gothic dungeons in real life the style of building evolved to be what it was to create large light brightly lit spaces. I often see similar gaming maps mis-named in this way and i usually dont comment but as i know you like to get things perfect i thought i would give you the info just in case

Also now im at home i can see both images fine, must be something up at work. They look great, just not Gothic

Comment

So while there are indeed a few instances of dark gothic dungeons in real life the style of building evolved to be what it was to create large light brightly lit spaces. I often see similar gaming maps mis-named in this way and i usually dont comment but as i know you like to get things perfect i thought i would give you the info just in case

Also now im at home i can see both images fine, must be something up at work. They look great, just not Gothic

i m not sure of that and from what i see here in france gothic style doesnt mean only cathedrals and their large lighty windows; cathedrals are the top of the gothic technologie but turned in a very spectacular and demonstrative way; it s like talking from 21th cars in 400 years with only F1 pictures

u mainly have two very different styles: roman & gothic and the easiest way to distinguish em is to watch the voutes/arches/porchways style...steves ones are 100% gothic or i have learn false things at scool and in art books...possible though... it was ages ago^^

if on goggle u type gothic bridge; gothic crypts or even gothic casttles u ll see that if it keep the same style of arches u ll sometimes search the windows

for me another reason of that "error" is that it still only gothic cathedrals in pure gothic style; quite all gothic casttles have been revamped in "renaissance" or "baroque" style because the "lords" always wanted the last techniques and the last "new vawe/style" to show their power
                              cathedrals n church have escape to all thoses destructive revamping because of their sacred and so spectacular side(+ i bet noone wanted to climb there to do the revamping haha)

again, i can be wrong but as i visited a lot of thoses places i wanted to share :srry for spam

i hope i have not missed that steve is building a cathedral or i ll have to take my pills again

peace

Comment

Quote as been reduced to make my comments not to long to read

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                                Thanks for the "FPS" edition...
                                Your welcome & THX for posting m8

Those explanations & pics are very informative dude I'm happy you share those infos so that I learn something new today & will surely come handy.

I must say, I won't be able to build that kind of structure with only stock assets nor those I use from ShadeMistress custom assets. Also, I don't have the necessary knowledge to make my own stuff to accomplish that goal neither.

Still, the word 'crypt-something' can be a cool name for the map instead of Gothia

The buildings showed in those pics are great architectures but for what I remember, underground sections where tights & dark lighted by torches. From my memory, it look more like catacombs or dungeons unless I'm wrong ? It would be cool if you can share some pics showing the underground sections instead of the ground level, if possible ofc

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
                                You bring interesting points my dear cousins. It seem I think the same as you but my history courses are very far in my memory & we don't have that kind of structure here in Quebec ! Shame because I would like to visit those places

Since you saw pics of the exterior of the map, you know that I'm not building something similar but I'll try to find something nice to look at for sure

Now, we need to take our pills I think LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X