Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-TokaidoGardens Joust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-TokaidoGardens Joust

Name: CTF-TokaidoGardensJoust Final Version

Author: G. N. "Snorkelbottom" Singleton

Version: Final

Compatability: PC Patch 2.0 or higher

Description : This is a remake of the Unreal Tournament 2004 CTF map CTF-1-on-1-Joust. For this map I decided I wanted it to look as though it was originally built by people of oriental origin, but had been slightly "amended" by the Necris since their invasion of Taryd.

Menu Description: The Secret Tokaido Gardens were a training ground for Twin Souls competitors hopeful to enter the Liandri tournament. When the Necris invaded Taryd they discovered the location of the sacred gardens and infected half of the revered arena, and added idols from their home world into the site. Now, should a Tokaido resident challenge one of their warriors the Necris allow the two parties to face off against each other within the gardens.

Screenshots:

Downloads - http://www.filebucket.info/?xdtbwqc6u - http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...rdensJoust.zip

Aside from some geometeric changes, most of which should not be immediately noticable, I have made some minor changes to the map after extensively playing the original map, CTF-1-on-1-Joust.

1. The Rocket Launchers still remain withinin the map, however the Lightning Gun has been replaced with the Shock Rifle. I have done this for two reasons. Firstly, because this the Shock Rifle is the second closest weapon in likeness to UT2004's Lightning Gun (except for the Sniper Rifle, but this map does not suit the Sniper Rifle). Secondly, the visual style of the map is a stand off between the Twin Souls and the Necris - Reapers favourite weapon is the Rocket Launcher and Akasha's is the Shock Rifle.

2. I have placed a UDamage power up in the centre of the map. This helps balance out the flow and layout of the map, and also makes the matches that little bit more interesting.

3. The Red base now has 4 Health Vials, but the Blue base does not. This is simply because the splats of Nanoblack on the floor of and approaching the Blue base will heal members of the Blue team (similar to the creep seen in Blizzard entertainments Starcraft and Warcraft titles), but will injure members of the Red team.

4. Finally the map is intended for a duel style CTF match, with only one player on each team (1-on-1) but the map is equally, if not more, fun with an extra player on each team (2-on-2). This is why the "1-on-1" has been dropped from the maps title.

I have not made any drastic changes to this map, as none where needed. But the map now comes in two formats - Standard and Joust. Both versions of the map are identical, the only difference being the locations of the player starts.

In the standard version, CTF-TokaidoGardens, the player starts for each team are located near that teams flag, thus the map plays as a standard Capture The Flag map.

In the joust version, CTF-TokaidoGardensJoust, the player starts for each team are located near the opposing teams flag, thus the map plays in the style of the original map, CTF-1-on-1-Joust.

I have done this because I feel that small and simple CTF maps could also be amended in the same way, essentially giving players of UT3 (as well as UT99 and UT2004) a new game type - Joust. Examples could be - CTF-FacingWorldsJoust, CTF-ReflectionJoust etc.

Special Thanks go out to...

The Guys at Epic Games for making Unreal Tournament 3 and their work on the original map - CTF-1-on-1-Joust.

The guys at Clickteam for their awesome install creator.

Everyone on the Epic Games forums, especially Bl!tz~, bn_avit, Shade Mistress and sneh. Thanks to all for their help and support.

3DBuzz for their invaluable guidance and video tutorials.

UDN (especially Dave Ewing and Richard Nalezynski) for their guidance and advice.

Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong for his guidance.

The guys at icecreamyou.com for their guidance.

The guys at fraghouse.beyondunreal.com. for their guidance.

Curious to check this out m8, are the flags reversed?

Comment

U get two maps one with the player starts reversed - joust, one not - standard.

Comment

mirror

http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...rdensJoust.zip

Comment

Originally posted by snorkelbottom View Post
          U get two maps one with the player starts reversed - joust, one not - standard.
          Gotcha thx for the answer M8! i see it now, good idea including the 2 maps, especially considering its not a huge file to begin with, now i'll tell you (and you likely know this) there is a reverse mutator for CTF - however the problem is it reverses the direction of all of the spawns as well so your often oriented toward a wall when you spawn and in the wrong direction, an intentionally reversed map can have great advantages so i'm glad you did this.

Still haven't played the map, screens look good though. Joust with an Asian twist - seems novel, - this was a popular map and was made famous on UT2K4 - it has been remade for UT3 several times, i'll ad yours to my remake thread at the BU forums.

Thx for your work!

Comment

Well guys the map has been out there for a few weeks now, and I am curious as to what your opinions are of the map now that it has finally been completed.

Comment

d/l now bbl with report Pics look good

Comment

OK I played this regular and reverse. Good Work I enjoy this map it is fast paced and very fun. This is small but I d/led the map then moved it into my custom maps folder just to find out this map comes with an installer ( not bad just different ).

Visuals on this map are very nice. It was very smart to enclose both regular and reverse into this map. I for one really enjoy the reverse.

I would think about changing a few things to improve game play.
                First, The game play is unfair on reverse as the blue team spawns with health vials and gets health boost from nanoblack, while red gets damage from nanoblack but no health. I do believe game play would be much fairer if you left out nanoblack and health vials.

Second, Halls are a little tighter then I remember or maybe the statues just make it seem that way. Perhaps you can turn collision of on statues? The statues are nice that is why I say turn off collision and not to take them out.

Third, Although I usually do not play weapons I think you should add some ammo for each weapon at the back of each base.

With that said, I think this is a great remake. Good work and Thank You very much for bringing this one forward for us.

If you like fast paced hard core action you should check out Joust's older brother from UT99 AndAction. There is a nice remake floating around here somewhere.

Comment

Thanks for the input thus far guys...

Originally posted by Gussie[MK] View Post
                  I would think about changing a few things to improve game play.
                  First, The game play is unfair on reverse as the blue team spawns with health vials and gets health boost from nanoblack, while red gets damage from nanoblack but no health. I do believe game play would be much fairer if you left out nanoblack and health vials.
                  Firstly there will be no changes to the map as it is a final version. Secondly, the blue team does have an unfair advantage on the map, that is true but also intentional. The team layout is ideally - Blue = Necris, Red = Ronin, thus in terms of the story of the map the Necris being the "gits" that they are for vandalising the arena won't exactly play fair now will they. In terms of the game, less experienced, weaker players can be on the blue team with better players on the red team. Thirdly, the nanoblack feature in this map is a glimpse of something I have planned for my, as yet untitled, warfare map.

Second, Halls are a little tighter then I remember or maybe the statues just make it seem that way. Perhaps you can turn collision of on statues? The statues are nice that is why I say turn off collision and not to take them out.
                  The scale of the level is actually a little wider, longer and taller than the UT2004 original. As for the statues, their collision is off - they just block weapons (the collision bounds were too basic).

Third, Although I usually do not play weapons I think you should add some ammo for each weapon at the back of each base.
                  There is no need to add ammunition to this map as players can run over the weapon bases to pick up extra ammunition. The original had no ammunition, and the microscopic size of the map supports this - if you run out of ammunition, panic. Too much ammunition on this map would make matches to drawn out - the main corridor is risky enough as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by snorkelbottom View Post
                    The scale of the level is actually a little wider, longer and taller than the UT2004 original. As for the statues, their collision is off - they just block weapons (the collision bounds were too basic).
                    I don't know if we are talking about the same statues I mean the dragons in the middle. I dodge or get stopped on them.

I am aware that this is a final version.However mappers do sometimes release update or different versions of map, and I thought I would share you with you how I think you can improve game play.

This is fun to play and Thank You for your work.

Comment

Ah, those statues, they are inside a blockin volume, so i cant understand how they are blocking players.

Comment

I have many comments about my use of an installer when releasing my maps, thus I think that I should clarify things for you. The main reason that I release my maps with an installer is this:

the software i use, install creator by clickteam.com, compresses the files down much more than a zip or rar archive. I have to do this because unfortunately i do not have the internet at home. As such I am reliant on using my local library to upload my maps, and because of their prehistoric connection and the fact that I am only allowed 2 hours a day, I have to take whatever measures I can to reduce the size of the files that I want to upload. Without the installer, I simply wouldn't be able to share my maps with anyone - a necessary evil I am afraid.

Comment

http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1598

Added it now Any objections if i add to mappack in future?

Greetz zunnie

Comment

DM-Crash2 Beta 01 (my new map) is now available:

http://filebucket.info/?1gtcq7azu

Comment

Nice work on it mate XD im just wondering how did you get the custom announcer voice to say the udamage is available??? o have being look for someway to do that for a redeemer in my map.

Comment

Working...
                              X