Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-Magma_Redux [ut2k3 remake] [DL] [Pics]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Magma_Redux [ut2k3 remake] [DL] [Pics]

Name: CTF-Magma_Redux

Version: Final (There were a limited number of minor changed from the beta2 version)

Compatibility: UT3 PC v2.1 (I have not tested this with any prior versions, but it should work correctly)

Description: My third map, this is a conversion of the UT2k3 CTF stage Magma.

Exported meshes from ut2k4, uv unwrapped and created coordinates for the second channel. Repainted vertices where necessary. Imported into ut3 and created many new materials and particle systems.

This is really meant to be played with the translocator as there are quite a few areas to hop to and from. Bots tend to work quite well and only turn into idiots on rare occasions. Luckily there are plenty of areas for them to kill themselves and reset, so it's short-lived.

It was tested thoroughly, but if any game-stopping issues survived, please let me know and i'll fix them ASAP.

Comments: Changes and additions to the original:
    • Added many new emissive glowing lava & magma materials.
    • Many new particle systems for spewing lava, smoke, & gurgling magma bubbles.
    • New background image (thanks to Karatemaster for risking his life getting some nice volcano pictures!)
    • Heat distortion in & above the volcano.
    • UT3 textures on the rocks & meshes for faster performance.
    • Several added power-ups (a couple in secret or hard to reach locations).
    • Custom projectile globs of magma shooting out of volcano! Careful, they hurt. Yes, it's dangerous...It is a volcano, after all.
    • Overall red haziness.
    • Darkened the level considerably for a more sinister atmosphere.
    • Tweaked some weapon placements from 2k3 version.
    • Random earthquake tremors.
    • Floaty rocks in magma swells.
    • Embers falling from the sky that turn to ash.
    • Swapped out elevator for jumppad in each base for faster gameplay.
    • Translocator damage. If your translocator disk is damaged too much by lava (UTLavaVolumes), it breaks and you can't recall it. Teleporting to it will kill you. So watch where you're throwing that thing!

IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST install the scripts and additional upk with this map for the lava projectiles! This stage will not work properly without them! Refer to the readme in the RAR for instructions, or simply extract the file to your C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\ folder.

Screenshot:

Credits: Epic for the great original map & providing us this editor! Karatemaster for texture work, testing, and conceptual ideas. Moo for testing and conceptual ideas. Xaebo for testing. Hourences for tutorials once again. This community for posting so many helpful tips and advice for noobs like me. Filterforge for the magma texture.

Download: ctf-magma_redux / BR coming soon

mirror:

http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...edux-final.rar

Comment

Originally posted by keyser325 View Post
      • Overall red haziness.
      • Darkened the level considerably for a more sinister atmosphere.
      The maps looks good but I think you went a little overboard on the red. There is no real distinction between the lava and the rock like there was before. I know there is alot you can do with the editor just because you have the ability doesn't necessarily mean more is better.

However, this is just my opinion. And I do think the map looks good just to red and a little busy with redness. Thanks for your work

Comment

Nice! been waiting to see this map fina .. this was one of my favorite 03/04 maps, it was crazy insane with the excessive mutator you could rocket launch all the way up to the middle from either castle.

Thanks for sharing this one with the community m8. D/L and check this out for sure.

Comment

I guess I will have to pull my finger out and release my version of this map, I have been busy building light map UV’s for all the meshes it takes time.
          My version is more a classic conversion; I will probably beta it before the New Year

Comment

Thalos, hijacking my thread to promote your own map...how could you?!

Seriously though, i had some comments on the red for the beta...i experimented with the colors and got some feedback from some friends. Ultimately, one of the major reasons i wasn't further compelled to swing things toward a more classic version is because Thalos mentioned he was working on it already. His claims to be very true to the original, i've heard

So, i stuck with the theme i began with. I'm sure the people who are unsatisfied with this map will be happy with his...

Get it out, let's give it a shot, Thalos!

Comment

I actually like the map keyser :=)
              have download and play and things are just rightmore than 1 version maybe ok but i like this one thanks for this.

Comment

Mirrored this on Strategy Informer - http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/u...map/34235.html

Comment

Good Map TY

Comment

tip top map with original athmosphere!
                    i like the "ruins"; the lava ; the projectiles ; the strong colors; the sounds; the distorsion effects.....hm.....i m going to do shorter: i like all....thx for that 5 stars keeper

i will install it on our server... & i will keep an eye open and hunt ur next project...if u have one

edit: i forgot a detail; after collecting the berzek i m fallen in the top crater and wasnt hurt by lava (not in the center of the crater but on the side)

Comment

I think i know what you're talking about. If it's that smaller pool with the floating rock, i left the sides a bit more forgiving since the ut3 jump falls a bit short from the ut2k4 one...it's tougher to get out.

If not, i'll have to take a look at what you mean.

Thanks for the comments

Comment

I think i know what you're talking about. If it's that smaller pool with the floating rock, i left the sides a bit more forgiving since the ut3 jump falls a bit short from the ut2k4 one...it's tougher to get out.
                        that s it

Comment

2 thumbs up! - i commend you.

Thalos, hijacking my thread to promote your own map...how could you?!

Seriously though, i had some comments on the red for the beta...i experimented with the colors and got some feedback from some friends. Ultimately, one of the major reasons i wasn't further compelled to swing things toward a more classic version is because Thalos mentioned he was working on it already. His claims to be very true to the original, i've heard

So, i stuck with the theme i began with. I'm sure the people who are unsatisfied with this map will be happy with his...

Get it out, let's give it a shot, Thalos!
                          keyser, i don't think he is intentionally promoting his map with your thread, i based my opinion on his long membership and low post count i'd say that your remake sparked his attention and curiosity more than anything else, you might of also helped to motivate him and inspire him to complete his work.

IMO more than one version is good, especially with different styles. As far as your map, i like your map and think you did a great job on it, while i personally might of preferred you tone the red down a tad (don't let that mislead anyone) its an excellent map & i consider it a great remake, 5 stars for you. Thx for your work.

Suggestively-
                          Don't hesitate to release an updated version if their are minor things you'd like to fix, (minor issue with a kill volume, etc.) its a benefit when people update their work with repairs, tweaks or enhancements.

I'd also like to ad real fast that i admire and respect your humility and good sportsmanship, you set a good example with this.

To me it almost seemed like you seemed bummed when you said "how could you" but you kept a good attitude and stayed positive. That's a quality that i certainly respect in a mapper as a fellow mapper. Additionally it's easy for any of us to become discouraged .. all of our hard work and then someone comes along and pick it apart so quickly with out a clue of how much goes into a project. At least with fellow mappers and feedback we can appreciate they know the deal.

Comment

Thanks so much, 1XTreme!

Yeah, i was only kidding with Thalos. I actually felt a little more encouraged to deviate from the original after he said he was going to do a more true-to-original version. And honestly, judging by his screenshots in my beta thread, it seems he was able to correctly obtain/extract many assets from the original that i was not. (yes, i kinda suck in 3dstudio and i feel like i'm still a noob with the editor)

I really appreciate the compliments. It's quite easy to get discouraged when there's criticism or a general lack of comments on a released map. I'm not really taking much of it to heart because the initial driving force in creating this map was so my friends and i could play it at lan games. I don't play online much, but if the community can enjoy it as well, that's great also!

Regarding the updated version... I've always been somewhat hesitant to release any updates once a map has gone "final" unless there are some glaring defects that affect the gameplay significantly. The main reason is it seems like having multiple versions of a final map floating around cause issues with joining games. However, i will likely update this in the near future after taking a small break from it. I've been considering making the necris version i had originally envisioned, maybe.

I've started on another project with a friend, we'll see if it actually plays out.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X