Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM / Greed-Nano - MSUC P4 best graphics in map finalists !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Again, OP updated (dwn links & other stuff)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guys, thanks for the bit off topic replies. Makes sense. I've played The Ball, along with the beta for that French game in the sky that's sorta got the Commander Keen vibe, so I get how that works now. I just see all these cool physics demos and I'm jealous.

Can't wait until we have Unreal Tournament 4 and you see that stuff in deathmatch games! Someday...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    How does UDK work? I've seen some very amazing stuff out of it, images and videos of physics. However, does anything playable come out of it? Is it like The Ball where you load it as a separate program?
    A bit off topic, but the UDK is really meant for "mod teams" so they can release their mods as stand alone games. There have been a few titles that I am away that have playble games, the Ball being one of them.

While you could do physics stuff in the UT 3 editor, I presume the UDK handles it much better. I am sure that video was real time recoding, though I wonder they quality of the computer to handle that much physics + recording the video.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Like, is there anyway to PLAY this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_rPDwSKe8

Or does it have to be "pre-rendered" like a movie, where the creator "plays" it and then renders it out full graphics quality.
    Well, to explain it to you 'short & sweet', UDK is for making games & come with a very limited amount of content while UT3 is the game & include the editor which access all ingame content

You will find everything you need in the UDK forum because now it's getting out topic

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Like, is there anyway to PLAY this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_rPDwSKe8

Or does it have to be "pre-rendered" like a movie, where the creator "plays" it and then renders it out full graphics quality.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How does UDK work? I've seen some very amazing stuff out of it, images and videos of physics. However, does anything playable come out of it? Is it like The Ball where you load it as a separate program?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah, very cool. I'll try the beta out.

Okay, so I have a question. In no way shape or form am I trying to be like, "oh man you should do this," you got your own stuff and I get that, but since I'm not a programmer, I'm curious if this idea could be possible for a normal deathmatch map or whatever (versus an entirely new gameplay type mod.)

You basically have a level where there's a strip of energy along the walls, and you can jump into it (probably be pressing e, and then e or jump to exit kinda like a vehicle) and you become this energy ball that can zip around the level very quickly. When in it you'd still have a FPS perspective but no weapon and things would move much quicker, and likely you'd have some energy distortion like when you're taking damage.

The key would be the longer you're in this stream, the easier it is for enemies to pick you off and explode your little energy bubble, and thus you're forced to respawn. But it also gets you around quicker, and adds a layer to the gameplay. It might even work best for a CTF level. Thus players can zip around to the other side much quicker, but they take a risk, and then their attention toward those capturing the flag is taken away (since like a vehicle you couldn't carry the flag into the energy stream.)

How good is the editor for adding stuff like that in, or is changing a perspective thing pretty much an impossible task? I've seen some very cool levels with non-physx based physics that run well on my system (such as a few Remus levels and the Nowhere map) so you guys are definitely stretching this game past what it started as.
    Well, so many things can be done with UE3 or even better with UDK that if you post this idea in the other forum, maybe someone can suggest something about it ? I mean, maybe try your idea out.

It would be more like a mod than a map. AFAIK, only limit you have with the editor is your imagination lol

But I can't do such, sorry.

Fatima looks especially cool, btw. Love the architecture.
    THX

Those are old pics, the latest build look even better so you should like it

After all, 12 months of work must worth it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Fatima looks especially cool, btw. Love the architecture.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah, very cool. I'll try the beta out.

Okay, so I have a question. In no way shape or form am I trying to be like, "oh man you should do this," you got your own stuff and I get that, but since I'm not a programmer, I'm curious if this idea could be possible for a normal deathmatch map or whatever (versus an entirely new gameplay type mod.)

You basically have a level where there's a strip of energy along the walls, and you can jump into it (probably be pressing e, and then e or jump to exit kinda like a vehicle) and you become this energy ball that can zip around the level very quickly. When in it you'd still have a FPS perspective but no weapon and things would move much quicker, and likely you'd have some energy distortion like when you're taking damage.

The key would be the longer you're in this stream, the easier it is for enemies to pick you off and explode your little energy bubble, and thus you're forced to respawn. But it also gets you around quicker, and adds a layer to the gameplay. It might even work best for a CTF level. Thus players can zip around to the other side much quicker, but they take a risk, and then their attention toward those capturing the flag is taken away (since like a vehicle you couldn't carry the flag into the energy stream.)

How good is the editor for adding stuff like that in, or is changing a perspective thing pretty much an impossible task? I've seen some very cool levels with non-physx based physics that run well on my system (such as a few Remus levels and the Nowhere map) so you guys are definitely stretching this game past what it started as.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey SteveLois, thanks for the quick reply, you and Remus I think are two of the best level makers out there.

I assumed it was something as such. Like I said, it's a minor minor problem that doesn't bring down the beauty or gameplay of the map, and no game (even on the right mix of card and system) is bereft of all clipping problems. I also get some z-buffer issues on big wide open maps like Face or Sacred Art, but they are also extremely minor.

Are you still making Unreal maps?
    THX for the compliment, much appreciated

Indeed, I'm working on 3 levels atm which you will find all the info at my homepage One of the 3 is DM-Amyrade. It is in alpha stage & is available in the beta section.

Another big project of mine (CTF-Fatima), after 12 months of hard work is almost ready to be released & should be available soon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey SteveLois, thanks for the quick reply, you and Remus I think are two of the best level makers out there.

I assumed it was something as such. Like I said, it's a minor minor problem that doesn't bring down the beauty or gameplay of the map, and no game (even on the right mix of card and system) is bereft of all clipping problems. I also get some z-buffer issues on big wide open maps like Face or Sacred Art, but they are also extremely minor.

Are you still making Unreal maps?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    LOVE the map. Shows all the hard work.

One quick question... I've noticed on the tubes, occasionally you'll see minor orange spots show up. Is this on purpose or is it likely a video card thing (ATI Radeon HD 4800 series). Doesn't hurt the map at all, love it, just curious.
    Hi

The artifact you mention isn't on purpose & is rather a ATI driver issue. ATI have some prob with some rendering instructions with the Unreal engine (game + editor) which you don't encounter on NVidia base GPU (comparing both of them with latest drivers ofc).

I can say that everyone I know (players / mappers), including me that as ATI base GPU notice odd rendering one in a while on whatever game based on this engine.

My biggest issue with my ATI Radeon 4870 is lightflares & the material editing tool when the material start to be complex or include a certain type of nodes links.

But anyway, THX for letting me know you like it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    LOVE the map. Shows all the hard work.

One quick question... I've noticed on the tubes, occasionally you'll see minor orange spots show up. Is this on purpose or is it likely a video card thing (ATI Radeon HD 4800 series). Doesn't hurt the map at all, love it, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wow... fantastic!!!
    Greatly appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
    Um, OK, so where do I start? I guess I should have tried this a few months ago. Looks like a little Necris influence (or is it Borg?). This is a seriously sweet and dark map; I love the attention to detail, sounds and music. Looks like that one area has a bit of a Campgrounds influence as well. This has unbelievable gameplay, good item placement, and the bots are very good in DM, TDM, CTF and Greed. Some interesting CTF and Greed matches, but i think this map is more suited to DM/TDM; my team really sucked at CTF and, especially, Greed. It probably didn't help that I didn't know the layout. I'll have to play a few more times to figure where the F I am and WTF I'm doing.

I'm not a big fan of the health/item "lockers" or the fake jumppads inside an enclosure. Ok, so it's a bit confusing, but not overly decorated. I did not see a bot get stuck on a jumppad and I like the way the bases are arranged for CTF and Greed (it's different and in this case is good).
    Well dude, TBH, I wasn't influence by anything. I just wanted to use this & that only & play with those assets like I did few years back with my Lego blocks lol

The fact is that I like only few Necris / LH / HU assets & I tried to mix them well together. I'm also trying to do custom materials instead of using stock one that most of the time look rather washed out. I think the results is not to bad.

I must say that this map as been released as DM in the first place & I do like playing more TDM than DM so the map as been optimize for that also. I recently release the Greed version. It is not made to be played in CTF mode but I didn't know how to force the GRD over CTF & naming the map GRD-MyMap doesn't work neither.

Now, my turn to THX you dude. THX for posting in a lot of thread, here & on BU. The game is dying & when people like you post it encourage mappers to continue making free content for a rather dead game.

I do speak for me only & I'm very grateful of all the positive comments you post all around mappers threads. Many others see & read your posts but are to cheap & lazy to post back to you.

THX for your nice words dude & for the time you take to post something constructive & positive. The community desperately need more players like you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X