Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM / Greed-Nano - MSUC P4 best graphics in map finalists !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem

Comment

PS3 conslusions...

After some search, the conclusions are that for severals reasons, I won't publish a PS3 version because I simply can't

Those are the reasons :

1) We don't have any official tools to help us to knowing what's going on when it simply don't work.

2) Even if everything as perform well without any issues while performing the cook, as this is my case, there is no log or official resources available to help us. We're completely on our own.

3) I've read comments from experiments / professionals mappers & moders that are use to make stuff for the PS3. Even for them, they have to "guest" & try until it work on the console ! For example, while I'm building the map, I have absolutely no idea of how many static mesh, brushes, lightmaps, items, etc I can possibly use. In all case, no one know the maximum amount of stuff permitted for making our map work. I don't even no if there is a file size limit for the uncooked &/or cooked version ??? Simply put ; there is no guide lines to prevent any issues BEFORE performing a PS3 cook & nothing neither to keep in mind while your building your stuff.

4) Some say that maps can be cook if they're using some Titan Pack assets while other say the contrary. Who's right ???

5) Until just recently, maps with custom music wasn't supported. This was a big deception. But even then, since the tool is available, some mappers are having issues. Just browse a bit Epic forums & you'll find them easily.

Even 1 reason on 5 is enough for me not to invest more time for making my map work on the console.

I'm sorry but after working 9 months on 1 map, I have better things to do than loosing my time by working blindly until I found "the magic formula" to make my map finally work on the PS3. Epic should had provide the proper tool in the first place so we're not all by ourselves.

Bottom line ;

You can blame Epic for this.

Comment

Excellent work my friend.

The map is obviously very detailed in almost every aspect of it. The visuals are very well done, especially the mesh work. You can mesh out my future maps if you like. The details like the green goop sitting in between the rocks makes you want to just run around the map for a while (with no opponents).

The layout is solid over all. There are some hallways that are longer than I would personally like, but this is a subjective thing as it's still very fun to play.

Really the only issue I have, which you already know, is the frame rates. Granted, I think my computer is having issues as many maps and other games are a little slower than usual. Do you offer tech suport?

This amount of detail will always be a challenge to achieve a balance. The long line of sights don't help either. But that aside, the map is a definite keeper.

I know you put in a lot of work into it and whether or not we, the players/mappers, appreciate it, you should be very proud of the map. It's something I haven't tried to do yet and I have been mapping for a while (off and on). Maybe I should...

p.s. I agree with you completely about trying to convert this for the PS3. You will have to strip the map down soo much, it won't even be "Nano" anymore, just "no".

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
          Excellent work my friend.

The map is obviously very detailed in almost every aspect of it. The visuals are very well done, especially the mesh work. You can mesh out my future maps if you like. The details like the green goop sitting in between the rocks makes you want to just run around the map for a while (with no opponents).
          THX, but it was enough challenging so I'll leave the meshing for others I see that as Lego pieces but you need to use some imagination. I was blocked several time but it just "unblock" after a while I guess It was even harder since I didn't have any models as a guideline. The only thing I could refer to is some stock maps & about there overall lighting & atmosphere. What is the "almost" aspect ?

The layout is solid over all. There are some hallways that are longer than I would personally like, but this is a subjective thing as it's still very fun to play.
          Well, since I like a mix of close combat & hitscan kills, I made the map for that. I particularly like shooting 3 rocket launcher grenade bouncing on the walls to my opponent so mid to long corridors are ideal for that. Since taking those corridors is more dangerous than open areas, you will always find some goodies on the road or at the opposite of the corridors.

Really the only issue I have, which you already know, is the frame rates. Granted, I think my computer is having issues as many maps and other games are a little slower than usual. Do you offer tech suport?
          Yeah, I know, FPS was my main concern & I thought that it won't be a problem even with 11 500 mesh if I could cull them. Therefore, my mistake is there is to much angles so if I cull on 1 angle you see the mesh disappear from the other angle which restraint my culling by much Culling take me a lot of time because wgen I cull a mesh, I have to moove from place to place to make sure that nothing "pop up" suddenly depending on where you located.

This amount of detail will always be a challenge to achieve a balance. The long line of sights don't help either. But that aside, the map is a definite keeper.

I know you put in a lot of work into it and whether or not we, the players/mappers, appreciate it, you should be very proud of the map. It's something I haven't tried to do yet and I have been mapping for a while (off and on). Maybe I should...
          Well, to be proud, I am. In the contrary of Station12, I'll play that map once in a while

p.s. I agree with you completely about trying to convert this for the PS3. You will have to strip the map down soo much, it won't even be "Nano" anymore, just "no".
          LOLLL

What a laugh I had, I almost fall out my chair !!! I know, it's not funny but you always have your way of explaining things

THX for the nice comments my friend !

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
            What is the "almost" aspect ?
            Well, I guess you could have some custom assets and such, but don't read too much into it. I usually say this because I haven't scientifically tested the map. So if I say "all", I may have to correct myself.

Well, to be proud, I am. In the contrary of Station12, I'll play that map once in a while
            For Station12, you set a high bar for your first map. For Nano, I think you set the bar too high, but you did achieve it. I say this because if you tried this map when you were more experienced, it probably wouldn't have taken you so long and such. But it's a great way to "push yourself".

LOLLL

What a laugh I had, I almost fall out my chair !!! I know, it's not funny but you always have your way of explaining things
            Hey now, it's kind of funny because it has a double-meaning.

THX for the nice comments my friend !
            Well deserved too.

Comment

Congrats Steve! Awesome map and incredible attention to detail. It's going on the server right next to Station 12!

Comment

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                Congrats Steve! Awesome map and incredible attention to detail. It's going on the server right next to Station 12!
                He he, that's cool THX dude & I'm happy you like it

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                  Well, I did try some combination of lighting, still after many... many... testing, I return on my first settings even when others mappers more talented then me was saying it was to dark. I did made some changes, but it's veeeeeeeery thin. The overall lighting & colors hasn't change at all but the posted pics look darker that the real thing. The fact I played more with the heightfog as helped a lot to.
                  Its very easy to screw the lighting up with this UT3 engine, its extremely touchy, minor tweaks make huge differences, i've saved copies of WIP and had to revert from other progress because of issues with lighting and not being satisfied with the developing results.

I think you did the right thing going with your own gut, its great that others offer feedback, at the same time for those of us with vision we know where we want to go with a finished product and when you get it right you say to yourself, that's the look i'm after, or that's what i've been looking for.

Good job on this again stevelois, i know you worked hard on it, while i do like DM, CTF has always been my UT thing, reason being; back in the day we had the best instagib clan in the game before we blew apart, we were undefeated on the CTF ladders for a period, a rival clan tried to steel / recruit all our ex members. True story!

At any rate with what is left of the community here, i wish some of the DM people would support the CTF people in turn.

Comment

As you, I think mappers should always stick to there instinct while mapping. Other feedback is always a + but it must fit with your vision or else, it won't be as good as you wanted.

I also like CTF, in fact, the first map I wanted to do is a CTF but I didn't know anything about mapping so I started with DM since it's the easiest type. I don't know about who is giving more feedback than others. Meaning that I know CTF players that don't bother to give any feedback to others if there project is not CTF. Same thing for DM players. I help CTF mappers a lot, they never give me any feddback at all for my DM maps. I also help DM mappers a lot, in most case, they don't give me feedback for my maps. In both case, feedback is rather "dull" imho. Except if your modding something & be part of a team, your on your own.

Take example of my CTF thread, it as been read more than 600 times already. Only few peoples as post something. Same thing for my vehicle thread. In those case it's even worst, a simple "Thank you" would be cool, but 98% of the people don't bother to take 1 min of there time to write something nice for those who spend hours of there time doing the boring job.

Anyway, it won't change nothing talking about feedback since no one care.

For your CTF maps in your sign, don't hesitate to post them (pics & such) in my CTF thread if you want

Comment

Make some more maps Steve
                      It is an exceptional bit of work and despite the fps issues it plays better on my kit than maps that manage to achieve a steady 59 to 62 fps.

Comment

Sorry steve for this out of topic post

On my computer UT3 has a maximum of 62 fps I thought it went upto 100 fps I seen someone post 200 fps!?

Someone tell me which one is the right one. If so I could really get a new computer to take it upto the highest posible framerate.

Comment

UT3 and Gears of War both have a frame cap of 62fps set automatically, though you could change that in the .ini or I think newer patches added a menu option. Really though, you'll only notice these higher frame rates if your monitor supports higher than 60Hz. (Mine supports 1280x960 at 100Hz, which while incredibly smooth in Battlefield 2, really didn't seem noticeable at all in UT3.)

You can disable the frame cap if you'd like, though I really only do it for FRAPS benchmarking--otherwise it's really no big deal.

Comment

Mine supports 1650x1080 100hz where do you chnage the fps at.

Comment

Originally posted by TIPPER View Post
                              Make some more maps Steve
                              It is an exceptional bit of work and despite the fps issues it plays better on my kit than maps that manage to achieve a steady 59 to 62 fps.
                              DM-Aly is on the way

About FPS, that's good

Originally posted by Zerglings View Post
                              Mine supports 1650x1080 100hz where do you chnage the fps at.
                              For what I can say about FPS, briefly, you won't notice any lags if your FPS is 30 or more. Below 30, yes, it's low & lags are noticeable. Still 30 FPS or more in non-interlaced monitors (as any digital screen is built today like LCD, OLED, Plasma, DLP, etc) it's fine or 60 FPS on old CRT's interlaced monitor. Your eyes don't perceive more than 30 FPS anyway. No matter why the recording movies industries are recorded in 24 FPS NI & others like anime at 15 FPS NI.

The FPS is only a measure to calculate the general rendering of the game engine not the GPU / monitor itself. With the Unreal engine it's recommended to be in the 80-100 FPS range since FPS include all aspect (audio, video, network interface, AI & such) not just video rendering like most people think.

With this amount of things to render in my map 50 FPS or more is very satisfying. You will obtain more FPS is your hardware is more powerful than mine which is describe in the first post.

You can deactivate VSync in the video menu so the GPU & monitor won't be synchronized & can give you more FPS but can generate undesirable lines.

If you want to know the real FPS, just bring out the console (F10) & type stat fps, that will give you the engine FPS. FRAPS is a good tool but not as much precise as the ingame stat tool.

Comment

Thanks steve...I know what fps was but good history leason lol.

If you want to know the real FPS, just bring out the console (F10) & type stat fps, that will give you the engine FPS. FRAPS is a good tool but not as much precise as the ingame stat tool.
                                Yep I use that stat fps everytime I start the game up and since I've got Nvidia patch 191.07. UT3 runs more smooth and the visuals for some reason look even better.

(PS have to try GTA IV now!)

Comment

Working...
                                X