Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Dm-bunker hill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Dm-bunker hill

Dm-bunker hill

Name:Bunker Hill
    Version:Final 1.0(Barring some horrible unforseen problem)
    Compatibility:Latest Patch(whatever one that was...)
    Description:A Large Deathmatch map with lots of jump pads, sniper zones, and teleporters. Great for teams!
    Comments:This is only my second map that I have completed that's actually playable so I'm still learning. Also I had one error which I think is with the terrain and it would not let me cook the map, but it still seems to play fine despite the error. If anyone knows how to fix it let me know.
    Screenshot:
    Credits:Epic games for making the most awesome game engine and level editor ever!
    [b]Download:http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1zzht...BunkerHill.zip

• replied
    Originally posted by csprinks View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Most, if not all of your teleporter "windows" (don't know what else to call them) didn't display correctly." Can you post a screenshot of what its doing?
    [shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_dm-bunkerhill_feedback_01.jpg[/shot]

The portal window doesn't show the other side, but acts more like a tinted window. Depending on the angle, sometimes it looks pitch black.

As for the rest, I'm not going to update this map anymore(Maybe someday I'll get back to it) but I'm keeping all this stuff in mind for my new map I'm working on which should be much better.
    That makes sense. Mapping is a process that goes beyond just a single map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, this really helps alot. When I actually figured out how make foilage and speed trees I kinda went nuts with it haha... but I wanted a very lush environment that was completely overgrown and felt like it had been abandoned for years.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Most, if not all of your teleporter "windows" (don't know what else to call them) didn't display correctly." Can you post a screenshot of what its doing?

As for the rest, I'm not going to update this map anymore(Maybe someday I'll get back to it) but I'm keeping all this stuff in mind for my new map I'm working on which should be much better.

Stromboli, unofortunately the map has some kind of an error and won't cook properly which is probably another reason it has performance issues but I honestly have no idea how to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    have you tried to recook this after you fixed the initial PC file problem? Looks good, hope to try it if you get the PS3 issue sorted out

Leave a comment:

• replied
    While the map doesn't really suit my tastes for game play, I can see you put the effort into it. There are numerous fixes you can make to the map to make it run better (which is the one place it needs improving).

1. You should "erase" any terrain that the player will never see by using the visibility tool in the terrain editor.

2. I am not a big fan of deco layers/foliage factories:
    a. It doesn't look right when the grass is appearing as you move.
    b. When the grass is angled and sticking out of the terrain, that doesn't help the player believe that they are in a world. I just reminds them they are playing a game.
    c Additional grass is possibly being rendered in places the player can't see. I don't know if the engine is actually rendering them, but there are many places in the map that have a sudden drop in frame rates.

3. Most, if not all of your teleporter "windows" (don't know what else to call them) didn't display correctly.

4. Keep in mind that if the engine can see any part of a static mesh, it renderes the entire thing. There are many rock meshes that you can only see part of, but are really designed to be in the middle of a map. Ideally, you should be using the rocks that only have about half of it modeled.

5. Speedtrees take up more processing power to animate them, so use them sparingly. In a map as wide open as this, there is a greater chance that a lot of the map will be viewed at a given time. Because of this, you have to be careful not to have too much being rendered.

6. There was one area that didn't have a water volume under the water mesh, it was a bit odd to see bots (and myself) walking, instead of swimming.

7. There are a few places that you can see into the static mesh. If a part of the static mesh isn't modeled, the player should never be able to see that part.

8. There are some places where you can go into the water and swim, but other places you die. It should be very clear to the player where they can and can't go.

9. When using jump pads, it's best to add a mesh that indicates where the player is basically going...

UN_Team.SM.Mesh.S_UN_Team_SM_LED_Base

Look in the UN_Team package for some with arrows.

10. When ever you have a redeemer in your map (if it's an outdoor map), you should place blocking volumes around your map so a player can't "drive" the redeemer outside the playable area. This will also prohibit players from spectating outside of it as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?act=view&id=1458

Added it to ut3.game-maps.net database now.
    Nice map, expect it hosted on our New Maps Only DM server soon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah I see, great feedback...

1) This was the first map I tried to use foilage volumes and it has ALOT of quirks(including making the editor very unstable and crashing every 5 seconds ugghh...). Sometimes it doesn't want to actually attach to the ground. It's annoying...

2) The large river at the bottom does have a post volume effect, but I felt that the little lake up top was so shallow(It was like 2 - 4 feet deep) it kinda wouldn't make sense to have a post volume effect. But now that I think about it I guess I was wrong on that. Oh well.

3) I know the sound effects are wierd in some places, that was the last thing I did and I kind of rushed it.

4) "i was surprised to not have found a sniper at the top of the map , close to (or facing) the portal"

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to give me feedback. Glad you liked my map and I'm glad someone got some enjoyment out all my hard work. Every map gets a little better...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nice map mate; some details:

first i m totally impressed by your work on the rocks & vegetation; it s superb ...but... the grass and the stones are floating in the air in many places:

the water sounds are too powerfull and have too large radius; in some place u hear the water and u cant see it.
    another problem with the water is that when u enter in if u crouch under the surface plane (surface) u cant see any difference with the "out of the water areas"; perhaps u had to add a post process volume to make a visible difference
    some grass are floating in the water too: (on the pict i m in the water totally imerged and it look like im not in )

i was surprised to not have found a sniper at the top of the map , close to (or facing) the portal:

i hope this can help a little...
    thx for that nice map and for the very good ideas bout the rocks and vegetals use

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you Any suggestions for improvements for the next map I make?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nice map

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, I reuploaded the map with the correct .ini file and I have downloaded it and played the downloaded map myself, and it works on my machine so it should be fine now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah ****, thanks for letting me know. I wonder how many people downloaded and tried to play it>_< I'll fix it tommorow.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The map file is corrupt & shouldn't the ini have the same name?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the packet is broken

Leave a comment:

Working...
X