Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-ThornsClassic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-ThornsClassic

Name: CTF-ThornsClassic

Version: v1.0

Compatibility: UT3 - shouldn't need anything more than the base game, and it's patches - of course.

Description: A nostalgic port of the old UT99 classic, Thorns. A close-quarters, arena-style CTF map. This one is for the fans.

Comments: This map was a lot of fun to make even though it only took me less than 10 hours to make. The textures are all ported from UT99, and the map itself is 99% BSP. Although this is a port, it is a handmade port - not a copy/paste conversion. The scaling to the original is pretty accurate, I'd say. It's an exact replica.

For everyone who hasn't played Thorns, which I'm sure a lot of you haven't - this map is a pretty linear, arena-style, CQC styled map. Both flags oppose each other, with a damage amplifier in the middle. Yes, it's a spam fest - but it's one of the best there ever was in my opinion.

It's just a lot of fun to play.

Screenshot:

Credits: This particular map is my own doing, and my own doing alone. But I referenced other maps for it, and I have full credited the original authors who's work I've referenced for this map in the readme file of this map.

Homepage: http://www.mapraider.com/syphir

Download: http://syphir.exploit7.org/CTF-ThornsClassic_v1-0.zip

there is a CTF-ThornsClassic in ut3
    but i like this 1 becous the bots work
    and thx for the map

Comment

Thank you so much, when i played Unreal Tournament 99, this was the first map i played
      thank you

Comment

Excellent! we need more quality remakes.

Thx for your hard work.

P.S. I've remade several classic maps for personal use which have shaped up so nicely i'll eventually release them for public use. For now thats all i want to say with out completely letting the cat out of the bag.

((Better fix your download link))

Comment

SWEET!

At some point during my vacation for the last few days, FileFront decided to stop carrying my file. I have reuploaded it to a different host, which is dependable. Please try again!

And thank you to anyone who already got the chance to play it, or are interested. It means a lot and I hope you enjoy it.

http://syphir.exploit7.org/CTF-ThornsClassic_v1-0.zip

Comment

Looks like Thorns, feels like Thorns, plays like Thorns; its definitely Thorns....... not too shabby syphir.

I'll possibly offer some final feedback after i load the original Thorns and look at it in UT1, for now some fast feedback; i noticed that the music doesn't play during game play (just a heads up) also there are no stingers, (which are actually a nice feature of the new engine)

As a side note;
            IMO for these classic map remakes the original music tracks are as essential as the BSP/Terrain and texture are, the other thing is the pickup lights can tend to do weird things especially in IG mode, my .02 is i'll be ignoring the editor warning and will not use the ad pickup lights feature on the remakes that i currently have in the works.

As far as remakes go, this is top notch though IMO, good work and thanks again for this.

lol. i had a better response but i lost my post when i tried to switch from quick repsonce to full mode so i could preview it. doh!

Comment

What happened to the sniper rifle on the ledge above the flag stand?

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
                Looks like Thorns, feels like Thorns, plays like Thorns; its definitely Thorns....... not too shabby syphir.

I'll possibly offer some final feedback after i load the original Thorns and look at it in UT1, for now some fast feedback; i noticed that the music doesn't play during game play (just a heads up) also there are no stingers, (which are actually a nice feature of the new engine)

As a side note;
                IMO for these classic map remakes the original music tracks are as essential as the BSP/Terrain and texture are, the other thing is the pickup lights can tend to do weird things especially in IG mode, my .02 is i'll be ignoring the editor warning and will not use the ad pickup lights feature on the remakes that i currently have in the works.

As far as remakes go, this is top notch though IMO, good work and thanks again for this.

lol. i had a better response but i lost my post when i tried to switch from quick repsonce to full mode so i could preview it. doh!
                Thanks for the post man, I appreciate it. I really am glad you liked it for the most part!

I couldn't use the original ThornsV2.unr file because for some reason my UT99's editor was acting screwy. I have it for Steam and it refuses to load certain maps in the editor, so I actually had to use another Thorns port for UT2004 as reference. I figured it was as close to the original as I could recall.

That map unfortunately did not have the original music, and I completely agree with you that it is pretty important. I actually had some trouble trying to pick a music track for this map, for that reason.

I'm not sure why it doesn't play during game play... it did for me when I was test playing the map. Maybe it's something to look into for a patch or updated version, perhaps?

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
                What happened to the sniper rifle on the ledge above the flag stand?
                The version I had used as reference from UT2004 did not have sniper rifles - and I completely forgot that Thorns had them. But you're absolutely right. I KNEW there was something more on those ledges than just health vials and 50 shields.

Sorry I forgot those - though they're pretty important.

Maybe I'll release another version after some more feedback for these two ideas.

Keep the feedback coming!

Comment

Cool, now we have 2 flavors. Thnks

First one: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ThornsClassic-

Comment

but at this 1 the bots work

Comment

Good map but it's too dark.

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
                        but at this 1 the bots work
                        you must have played the beta....the copy (the one in the link) I have played just fine...in fact, both maps played as equally well on my system/settings.

Anyway, nice map.

Comment

Working...
                        X